Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Pain after Back Squats

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
I'm trying to narrow down where this pain is coming from so I can figure out how to stop it. I'm pretty sure it's from doing Back Squats. Perhaps the bar is sitting too high (on my neck) and not on my upper clavicle. ? Has this happened to anyone? Maybe I should avoid doing back squats and just stick with front squats? :(

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
I'm trying to narrow down where this pain is coming from so I can figure out how to stop it. I'm pretty sure it's from doing Back Squats. Perhaps the bar is sitting too high (on my neck) and not on my upper clavicle. ? Has this happened to anyone? Maybe I should avoid doing back squats and just stick with front squats? :(

You have 2 clavicles on your body and they are anterior (to the front), so it's definitely not that.

Try stretching out the entire area: Lats, rotators cuff (internal and external rotations), traps, PECS.

For me, it's hard to get both arms around the bar to hold it unless i stretch out my pecs really good. So I do doorway stretching in the squat rack, simple lat stretches, and int/ext rotation if needed.

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
The pain is definitely anterior. I Am making a serious effort to try and stretch more but I'll pay close attention and make sure I'm doing enough.

Are hack squats a suitable alternative to try? To see if the pain goes away?

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
And I meant scapula. Not clavicle. Lol. Maybe the bar isn't reating on my scapula properly?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Where's your hand position? Is it close to your body or out away from it... the closer it is to your body the more stress is place on the shoulder girdle. Are you doing mobility work for your shoulders? Where is the bar position? Does it sit high or low?

I'd suggest doing shoulder prehab work to help alleviate the pain your encountering. You can do stick stretch, wall angels, band pull aparts, etc...

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
Hand position is pretty close. Maybe mid-shoulder. The bar must sit up high because my spine has a bruise on it right at my neck. I will look into mobility work (I do hold a pvc or wooden stick with both hands at my waist and bring the stick up over my head and around to my back. I do about 25 reps before lifting.) I'll look into other such as the wall Angels, etc, you mentioned.
Seriously appreciate the advice.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Do you have access to a safety squat bar, buffalo bar or cambered squat bar by chance? All of these bars will alleviate shoulder stress in the squat. I know most gyms do not carry many specialty bars, but it's a thought.

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
I don't think so but I will double check. Thank you!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic