Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Shoulder/ Arm pain from sleeping?

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks for all the input, sorry for you all but it feels good to know I'm not the only one! lol Jenner, I try that mummy position but always end up with my arm above my head and my shoulders\arms numb as hell killin me. Guess I'll try duct taping like 5.0 said.

ps, LOVE YOUR NEW AVI!! LOL ;)

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for all the input, sorry for you all but it feels good to know I'm not the only one! lol Jenner, I try that mummy position but always end up with my arm above my head and my shoulders\arms numb as hell killin me. Guess I'll try duct taping like 5.0 said.

ps, LOVE YOUR NEW AVI!! LOL ;)

LOL, thanks sweets :) Really, I never put my arm over my head...yep, thinking duct tape for you my friend ;)

P

Pdub

Mar 8, 2012
Good to know I am not alone. Started as my shoulders and tri started to bulk up.

Googled thoracic outlet syndrome and that didnt seem accurate.

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
Good to know I am not alone. Started as my shoulders and tri started to bulk up.

Googled thoracic outlet syndrome and that didnt seem accurate.

Google thoracic outlet syndrome IN BODYBUILDERS. Its common enough and I have treated people with this.

Reactions: Dex
graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
LOL, thanks sweets :) Really, I never put my arm over my head...yep, thinking duct tape for you my friend ;)

Well it may take duct tape, We shall see, I've tried it before and after a hour or so give up and go back to my regular pattern

This makes tons of sense, I always suspected it was pinching off nerves\vessels. After all these years I'm kinda getting used to 3 - 4 hours sleep and the rest on n off. I actually woke up on night dreamin something had my arm, got up swinging it around, smashed it against the door and woke up! Freaked me out

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Just wondering how many out there deal with this same problem I have. Can't get a good nites sleep without waking up multiple times, shoulder asleep, arm and hands asleep. Tried different pillows , positions driving me nuttz. Any body else? Any tips , opinions?

Yeah, bud this really sucks. I had the same problem for years, until I taught myself not to sleep on my arm and shoulder. Now I still sleep on my side, but with my shoulder and arm out in front of my body, and my arm no longer goes numb (so I am sleeping on my side at the waist, and on my shoulder blade up top, with the arm down in front of my body. Sometimes the arm on top still falls asleep, but if I move it around a little bit, it usually clears right up. I take up a lot of room sleeping like this, so we had to get a larger bed.

Also, I trained myself to turn over several times at night, so I sleep on one side and if I wake up, I roll over before I go back to sleep.

Hope this helps!

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
Smashingmachine has a good point but also if your fingers are going numb also the problem could be around your c-5 disc. My neck is fused levels 4,5,6. I've had the problem when I sat and just took pain meds no gym no work. The docs are trying to that it is caused by an over use of the muscle in the upper and mid back that you send some or one into constant spasm and thats where this comes from but who knows.

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
Good to know I'm not the only one! If I keep my arm bent at the elbow very long my fingers go numb. I wake up multipal times during the night. Never can sleep straight through. I can't sleep on my back or stomach has to be my side.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Smashingmachine has a good point but also if your fingers are going numb also the problem could be around your c-5 disc. My neck is fused levels 4,5,6. I've had the problem when I sat and just took pain meds no gym no work. The docs are trying to that it is caused by an over use of the muscle in the upper and mid back that you send some or one into constant spasm and thats where this comes from but who knows.

My chiropractor said I had a pinched nerve in my c5. Same thing happened to him in a wakeboard accident. I'm doing some decompression

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Good to know I'm not the only one! If I keep my arm bent at the elbow very long my fingers go numb. I wake up multipal times during the night. Never can sleep straight through. I can't sleep on my back or stomach has to be my side.

Me too Reg, I was thinkin the same, comforting to know other are experienceing the same, in a twisted sort of way lol. I tried the WWODWISE's advice last nite and it's much better on my shoulder\arms. Still got a lil pain , numbness when I reverted to old ways but I think it's work.
Thanks woodwise

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Me too Reg, I was thinkin the same, comforting to know other are experienceing the same, in a twisted sort of way lol. I tried the WWODWISE's advice last nite and it's much better on my shoulder\arms. Still got a lil pain , numbness when I reverted to old ways but I think it's work.
Thanks woodwise

Glad I could help.

Another tip. I also sometimes sleep on my side with my arms crossed in front of me, with my hands on the opposite shoulder, like when doing front squats with your arms crossed. It is nice and comfortable and it puts your shoulders to the front, so you're not sleeping on your arm.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic