Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Should I compete in Powerlifting?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Etiquette in the warm up room?!
Can you elaborate on that? My first meet is in another state so all my knowledge will come from here until the Winter...

Just means helping others in the warm up room. Helping put on equipment, rack, unrack weights. Don't be in a group of people warming up and not offer to contribute to helping.

Just don't go sit down and come back when its your turn to go in warm ups.

Offer to help others, and offer to spot, etc.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Power lifting is a very team sport in the warm up room. Every one helps each other and is encouraging.

At my first meet I was terrified. I couldn't hardly eat that morning.

I was at weigh ins the day before standing in line waiting to weigh in, and was just feeling over whelmed. Saw this guy who was waiting to get in line, so I insisted he go head and we talked momentarily and that was it.

I saw two guys at the hotel the night before and walked past them and we all smiled at each other and kept walking as to just say hello. Turns out, one of the guys was the guy I talked to at weigh ins.

So I walk into the warm up room the next morning, and they recognize me and I recognize them also. We start talking, and turns out they are friends that drove down to the meet together with their families.

We all started talking like we had been high school friends, and discussed warming up.

We all warmed up together and discussed our goals and hobbies.

We were in a push pull meet (bench and dead lift only).

So we warm up for bench and all get ready and help each other put shirts on and hold boards and encourage each other.

We continue to hang out and help each other for the duration of the meet supporting each other and discussing dead lift ideas and goals.

The meets over, they invited us to go to dinner with their families but I was too beat and could hardly stay awake. We ate at the restaurant next to the gym and went back to the hotel.

We talked the next morning and they invited us to go to the zoo with them and their families, but again, I was exhausted mentally and needed to head home.

We still keep in touch on FB.

What's so cool about powerlifting is you make friends that you keep and even train with and hang out.

Everyone cheers each other on. The crowd cheers for you if you are lifting air or going for a world record.

The support system is HUGE.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The main thing you need is someone who can count out how many lifts out your are meaning if need 7 warm up singles and you need a little bit of time in between you'll want to start warming up 14 attempts out.... so you're taking your warm up every other attempt on the platform. You'll need to share the mono, platform, bench with the other lifters so help unload and load weights... unless you have someone there to do that for you. If you're classic raw, you'll need to have someone there to wrap you when you're squatting.... etc.

As for the commands.... look up the fed you're competing in and imo 6 weeks out have your training partner give you the commands when you complete your lifts in training. For ex... for APC you would get in the mono, get set, and than when you look up, the center judge)tells you to squat. At that point it's time to squat which is why I get set with my head looking down till I'm ready and than when I'm ready I look up to let the judge know I'm set. Just like with bench... wait for the press command, and than hold it till you get the rack command. Find out what the commands are and than follow them in your training so you don't **** up.

I'm sure porky can add a lot to this and can also elaborate on it as well.

Just make sure you do your homework so you're ready when it's showtime.

Last edited:
C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Found an event in Portland OR on Oct. 4
Powerlifting Elite Fall Classic (APA)
PP

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I'll come support you if you do this one !

This is at a friends gym

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Lol ! Yes just folks I stalk and pretend are friends

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Get there early and find out what flight you're lifting in. Know how many warm ups you need before your opener and plan for that - watch a clock.
Usually there will be a group of guys in your flight warming up together, get in with them and get in an order so everybody can warm up.
Spot and load as needed - usually this is your handler's job. All the handlers help everyone warm up.

Have all your equipment ready and if you are wrapping your knees watch the guy ahead of you. Start wrapping when he is wrapping his 2nd leg, or close to done with the second leg depending on how fast the spotters and loaders on the platform are moving.

When it's your turn to lift don't get on the platform until the judge calls "Bar's loaded" - from then you have one minute to get the bar out of the rack and get the squat command from the head judge. Don't bend your knees until you get the command. Don't rack the weight until the judge says "rack"... same with bench. All feds give you a press call and a rack call - go to the rules meeting so you know if yours also gives a start call.
Deadlift is always just a "down" command once you lock out.

As others have said - definitely use this as a chance to meet other lifters and learn who the strongest teams in your area are. Talk to them, ask questions, go train with them. You'll notice that all the lifters from some tams look flawless and the teams run like a well oiled machine at meets.

Don't forget to eat and drink throughout the day. Plan bathroom breaks so you're not holding it in on the platform.

The biggest thing I can recommend is to chill out. Be cool. So many guys get all berserk and then fizzle out by bench. The best competitors are chilling out and joking back stage and then flip the switch under the bar. If you try to stay amped up all day you'll crash.
Good luck.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Good advice in the last paragraph especially. I listen to calm music and I just chill out. Every guy I see yelling in the warm up room and screaming on his way to an attempt misses their lift. Save that energy.

I would add:

Don't miss the rules clinic.

If you get a lift taken away stfu about it. Don't mouth off to the judges or bitch.

Set openers that you can triple without breaking form.

Be absolutely sure to smoke your squat opener. If you miss that the judges will think you are an idiot.

Don't wear a shirt under your singlet when you deadlift. That is stupid.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
If you get a lift taken away stfu about it. Don't mouth off to the judges or bitch.

This is a HUGE NO NO, and can get you thrown out of the meet.

Its completely acceptable to ask "what did I do wrong, so I can make improvements".

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic