Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Should I compete in Powerlifting?

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
You should do it b/c you'll get bitten by the bug and give up CF.

ha! I always joke around at crossfit and say I'm just going to be a powerlifter.

Some of you guys might like this. The CF Games are happening right now and the masters division had a deadlift ladder.
These guys were pulling some serious weight. Check it out.

http://games.crossfit.com/video/masters-deadlift-ladder

You'll have to run that link through an anonymous search browser, proxy, or plug in for chrome like ZenMate

Anon search to run link through if you don't have a proxy or ZenMate in Chrome
http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

Men did max overhead squat. Froning with 377lbs (towards the end)
http://games.crossfit.com/video/individual-overhead-squat

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I like watching the cf games.

Are they being televised on ESPN right now?

The weight they do on dead lifts, snatches and c&j is impressive.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Valid points! I guess I was just wondering if those kind of numbers get blown out or not.
Either way, I'll keep stepping it up. It doesn't really matter.

Las mentioned by others....DO IT! In my opinion, who cares how your numbers compare to anyone else's? You're competing against yourself just as much as you are against others in your weight class. When you're hitting new PRs in the platform, busting your ass, giving it 110%, etc you will be proud of your accomplishments regardless of where you place brother. I say do it lol

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I like watching the cf games.

Are they being televised on ESPN right now?

The weight they do on dead lifts, snatches and c&j is impressive.

No, not yet hence why they are blocking youtube from showing it in the US
but I've provided ways around it. There's live feeds and archives on the site.
Install the zenmate plug in in chrome or use the anon search above.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Hell yes you should compete. Who cares what your numbers are? It's as much a personal competition as a group one. Smash your own records.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I see in the CF games they allow the athlete to hitch the weight when deadlifting.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I see in the CF games they allow the athlete to hitch the weight when deadlifting.

yeah...they need to change that.

Its allowed in strong man. I don't see the problem. Get the weight off the ground and lock out. Do it how you please.

In a pl competition of course not, but its different when the goal is not pl.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Its allowed in strong man. I don't see the problem. Get the weight off the ground and lock out. Do it how you please.

In a pl competition of course not, but its different when the goal is not pl.

Good point

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
If you are a competitive person, you'll like it. If not, you will meet a lot of guys are worth knowing and that can add something to your training.

Plus, having a meet 3 months away makes you train like an animal.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
For all the crap talking crossfit gets due to the horrible coaches and fly by night gyms, elite crossfit athletes are impressive as heck...... no hate here.

I see lots of crossfitters coming in to powerlifting meets. They are what has brought any sort of resurgence to raw lifting in the sport. Meet directors welcome them, and most lifters are welcoming and helpful.

You absolutely should give it a try.

Your numbers are fine, but in the end numbers don't matter. Going out and lifting less than the 132# girls won't get you scoffed at - every lifter has been there.
What I would suggest is to find some local powerlifters to help you at the meet. They can help with the two things that will get you laughed/yelled at: knowing the commands, and having some etiquette in the warm up room.

If you can't find someone experienced to help with those either post on here or PM me and someone/I can help.

Either way, good luck and have fun.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
For all the crap talking crossfit gets due to the horrible coaches and fly by night gyms, elite crossfit athletes are impressive as heck...... no hate here.

I see lots of crossfitters coming in to powerlifting meets. They are what has brought any sort of resurgence to raw lifting in the sport. Meet directors welcome them, and most lifters are welcoming and helpful.

You absolutely should give it a try.

Your numbers are fine, but in the end numbers don't matter. Going out and lifting less than the 132# girls won't get you scoffed at - every lifter has been there.
What I would suggest is to find some local powerlifters to help you at the meet. They can help with the two things that will get you laughed/yelled at: knowing the commands, and having some etiquette in the warm up room.

If you can't find someone experienced to help with those either post on here or PM me and someone/I can help.

Either way, good luck and have fun.

Etiquette in the warm up room?!
Can you elaborate on that? My first meet is in another state so all my knowledge will come from here until the Winter...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic