Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Shooting to get in shape for summer. (again!)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have talked so many times about how I was going to get in real good shape for the coming summer, only to get sidetracked and never quite reach the goal. I have been in 'good' shape, but never quite REALLY good shape by my definition.

This year, I said it was my goal and I was on a great track. I Started in the fall, but 8 months ago and then got rear-ended. Fractured spine and 2-bulging and my l5-s1 disk displaced pushing on my S1 nerve screwed me all kinds. Ended up putting on 20lbs (knowingly) since I was making myself distracted from the pain by just eating a bunch of junk.

I snapped myself back on track in Jan and have been informally 'dieting' since. No tracking, no cardio, just eating consistently how I know I need to. @ItalianMuscle wont like to hear me say it, but I still eat icecream 2-3 times a week, and yes, Friday is still pizza night. Still eating mexican food out at restaurants now and again....and one of my go-to at home lunches has been making my own deep fried chicken strips. (I found a chickfila knockoff recipie online and make them once or twice a week for lunch since I work from home).

I got a little sun yesterday. Pic is cold and "relaxed" except for I am flexing my abs. If I flex upper body, striations have come in nicely through chest and shoulders.

I still have a way to go, but I am on the path to reach it I feel. (if I dont screw up and can stay on path). I really think I can achieve this and want to for the first time ever see the goal through. Most of my body is very lean. Legs are always the leanest, Just hoping to chisel away at the last bits of torso fat which I have not been able to shed in the last 10 years.

Maybe before I hit 50!

uomusfo.jpg

AuZadwU.jpg

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Looking good dude. How much leaner you want to be? You're at about what my goal is (and I'm getting close!)

I had an "abs again by 50 goal". Well, 50 came... now its "abs at 50", although in the right light I swear I see some.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Looking good dude. How much leaner you want to be? You're at about what my goal is (and I'm getting close!)

I had an "abs again by 50 goal". Well, 50 came... now its "abs at 50", although in the right light I swear I see some.

I dont really know the end goal. My guess/hope is I will when I see it. I am more than happy with most stuff, just want that last bit of fat gone across the front of my stomach and for my delts to 'pop' a little more. Once I hit my goal, I will stay there for a while and then slowly let my carbs come up so I can fill back out. As soon as I resume 'normal' eating, I will see my weight jump back another 10lbs. The key is filling back out without losing the thin skinfolds.

I have seen this happen with every other part of my body as I have consistently gotten leaner over the last 7-8 years. Once I shed the tough fat, the skinfolds dont come back, even in a surplus. Even in a 30lb bulk my legs still stay under 5mm. I have just never taken a cut far enough to get at the last fat around my torso. Once I do, I am hoping that I can then 'ease' up a bit. It really sucks having to get at the stubborn fat. But like many here, as a man, I let myself go for 10 years and in that time, I got the typical fat patterns.

I have taken a 'slow and steady' approach. I want my cake and eat it too. Gone is the OCD dieting, and I refuse to spend hours on a treadmill trying to lose fat. (although I should do a little for heart health).

It can be done, and I am finally realizing it after a bunch of years. It is actually pretty easy now.

Looking good MAC

Thanks!

Shooting to get in shape? We hate you @macgyver
I second that! LOL

Looking good bro! Funny, pizza night is Friday for me as well, and I don't look like you....

Thanks guys. Pizza night (when losing weight) means I stop at 2 pieces. Otherwise, I would normally eat 1/2 a large myself.
I have spent a bunch of years now (10 years since returning to the gym), and I just have adopted a much more long-term view of my intake. I have in the past been OCD and overly restrictive. But I have realized that time and consistency can really make a HUGE difference. Gone are my goals of transforming in the next 6 weeks, and I just adjust my lifestyle.

If I screw up, hell, I enjoy myself and the food and beer that might come along with it. Nothing I cant over come just pulling back harder a few days. The key is just try to be consistently pulling back and let time do the rest. For me that means being light on carbs, but I dont go overboard. I love fruit, and you cant take milk from me (nor icecream). So again, I moderate. When I am motivated good, I will really try to eat less just for even a few days and I can see the progress. (keeping my protein high always).

It feels good to be more low key about things these days. In fact, I look forward to the times where I 'let go'. My friends wife always makes a double batch of brownies if she knows I am coming over. That and 6-7 chocolate chip cookies, and I am feeling great. I will eat that and protein of whatever sort, and then just go low carb the next few days.

After spending 4 years planning and tracking macros, weighing EVERY meal, and preparing it, I learned that the what governs things is cals at the end of the day. Meet you needs, especially with protein and fat, and then fit the carbs in for your goals. I dont care if they are pop tarts or brown rice. Make room for the things you enjoy, but obviously, eat a good balanced diet.

No hate on anyone, but I cant stand the amount of 'bro-science' bs that comes out of the fitness world. People just repeating what they have been told. I wont wipe my ass with Ezekiel bread! If I am having a PB and J, I want the softest, white bread I can find....and I will enjoy it!.

FWIW to remind everyone, I have never in my life been a lean individual. But I have managed to become one despite my genes wanting me to be a stocky, boxy Italian guy. I'd be glad to lend any thoughts to anyone trying to set down this road. I am not an 'expert', but I have come to find most of the 'experts' really dont know much.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Looking good brother, I KNOW what you see in the mirror though as I do the same, everyone tells you how awesome you look yet you only focus on the "last little bit" or whatever flaw you perceive.
Keep pecking away you will be closer to your goal everyday.
I once had a pic taken with a group of friends in the bow of my boat and MAN I actually liked what I saw...haha rare indeed.
Keep it up I bet we all would agree you look DAMN good right now.;)
Cheers

BigGameHunter

BigGameHunter

VIP Member
Jun 26, 2012
I’m impressed. I think you’re there. Hats off to you man. I’m considering shaving my chest and back now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic