Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Shingles Vaccine?

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Anyone here that has taken it? I am not getting good feedback from normal humans who don't exercise and eat correctly. They say the sides are pretty bad. My work is offering it for free. I know 2 hard-core lifters that got it well before 50 and they say they almost offed themselves the pain was so bad. One even constructed some hanging support straps to keep his skin from touching anything while trying to sleep. I took 2 doses of Moderna with no sickness while other normal humans suffered 3 days from each shot. I know we are all different but my strong support from vitamins and minerals seem to make a difference.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I’ve had shingles before and I wouldn’t ever want it again. The pain is similar to continual stabbing in multiple spots for every shingles blister, for days and days till the virus is dead. It’s the kind of pain that will make your crazy. And by the time you have shingles it’s already to late.

I am still to young to get that vaccine. But i wouldn’t give two poops about any downtime from that vaccine. I’ll take feeling like crap for a few days then the alternative. I would just get it. If you ever had chicken pox, you are at risk for shingles at any moment. You already have the virus.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Anyone here that has taken it? I am not getting good feedback from normal humans who don't exercise and eat correctly. They say the sides are pretty bad. My work is offering it for free. I know 2 hard-core lifters that got it well before 50 and they say they almost offed themselves the pain was so bad. One even constructed some hanging support straps to keep his skin from touching anything while trying to sleep. I took 2 doses of Moderna with no sickness while other normal humans suffered 3 days from each shot. I know we are all different but my strong support from vitamins and minerals seem to make a difference.
I'm a bit of a dumbass and unsure if you meant the "normal humans" and the "2 hard-core lifters" suffered after getting the disease, or after getting the vaccine?

Fwiw, and with the admission you are right about "we are all different" .............

I had Chicken Pox as a child. Never had Shingles as an adult.

One of my young adult sons had Cancer in 2012, spent some time in our house dealing with how Cancer AND Chemo and Radiation therapies ravage the body ... and developed Shingles as a result. I have heard it is a bit of an opportunistic disease, in that it's always lurking but might affect the strong and the weakened differently. Never heard him complain specifically about Shingles, but he had lots going on at the time. Anyway, Wife and I both hugged him numerous times, were exposed, never got it. Sometime later, symptom-free, I nevertheless decided I ought to get the vaccine ... it is a recommended 2 shot process, 2-6 months apart btw, and I did get both shots.

That was yrs ago. For me ... no Shingles and no sides since, but, like you say, everyone's different.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I'm a bit of a dumbass and unsure if you meant the "normal humans" and the "2 hard-core lifters" suffered after getting the disease, or after getting the vaccine?

Fwiw, and with the admission you are right about "we are all different" .............

I had Chicken Pox as a child. Never had Shingles as an adult.

One of my young adult sons had Cancer in 2012, spent some time in our house dealing with how Cancer AND Chemo and Radiation therapies ravage the body ... and developed Shingles as a result. I have heard it is a bit of an opportunistic disease, in that it's always lurking but might affect the strong and the weakened differently. Never heard him complain specifically about Shingles, but he had lots going on at the time. Anyway, Wife and I both hugged him numerous times, were exposed, never got it. Sometime later, symptom-free, I nevertheless decided I ought to get the vaccine ... it is a recommended 2 shot process, 2-6 months apart btw, and I did get both shots.

That was yrs ago. For me ... no Shingles and no sides since, but, like you say, everyone's different.
Hey yes sorry the 2 hard-core lifters got shingles well before 50...
Normal humans are like my coworkers no decent diet or vitamins....seem to get sick all the time and the Shingles vaccine wiped them out. I am going to get it before they force the COVID-19 vaccine on us again.

2ndWave

Nov 16, 2020
I'm in my 60s and just got the shingles vaccine (I think it was 2-shot process, a month apart) a few months ago. The first shot: no effects except somes soreness in my arm that went away in less than a day. The second shot: arm soreness + extreme fatigue for about 18 hours or so. It was my first time taking this vaccine. I've never had shingles, but I know others who have had it, and it's horrible. So I decided to take the leap. I guess we all have to make the most prudent judgment we can, and hope for the best.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Hey there @Massive G , i had chicken pox when i was young. I"m now 52 yrs young and hubs and i decided to get the shingles vaccine. Got our first dose last month. Just a little soreness in arm, went away after about a day. Not due for 2nd one until later this year.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Yea, i'm 46 and high risk for shingles......so thanks for the feedback. I have not met very many people who have received it. I'm certain I will get it....unless somebody has something stating otherwise.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I'm in my 60s and just got the shingles vaccine (I think it was 2-shot process, a month apart) a few months ago. The first shot: no effects except somes soreness in my arm that went away in less than a day. The second shot: arm soreness + extreme fatigue for about 18 hours or so. It was my first time taking this vaccine. I've never had shingles, but I know others who have had it, and it's horrible. So I decided to take the leap. I guess we all have to make the most prudent judgment we can, and hope for the best.
If (I did say "IF" lol) anybody wants to go by the guidelines the 2nd shot is supposed to be within a 2 - 6 month window after the first.

@MR. BMJ oddly enough the very few post shot reactions I have ever had in my life have been from DIY ones that "bodybuilders" do. Been getting the "regular Flu" shots for over 20yrs, had 4 Covids (first 3 Pfizer, recent 4th Moderna), both Shingles, Tetanus every 10 yrs, and Pneumonia just for shits 'n giggles.

ONLY "sides" from the CDC stuff have been fun ... doctors or nurses or pharmacists telling me "RELAX your shoulder!" Either I'm the 2nd Coming of Ronnie Coleman ... or else I've got a fuckton of scar tissue in there :eek:

But, everyone's different.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Thank you all everyone for the comments abd feedback I am scheduling my first shot next week.

klbsa

klbsa

Jan 5, 2011
I got shingles last year (I'm 45) and I guess I got a mild case of it because the way people talk about it they act as if its almost unbearable. I was horribly itchy, for 2 weeks and I ended up running a fever for the first few days but the pain wasn't all that bad.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
got shingles back in 2002 during a month in Western Europe/UK. got them at the tail end and was just wanting to get home and check into a hospital. They hurt like cray and it started with a little small pinhead boil and increased into what looked like the the dry encrustulated tentacles of the young girl turning into Natasha Henstridge in the first Species movies. They gave me axythromycin and codeine. Painful, get the vax if you travel to other countries.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I got the Shingrix when I became of age because of the horror stories about shingles from people I knew who had suffered it. I don't got no time for that!

The vaccines (its two doses) made my arm sore for a day afterwards. But as a lifter I'm used to being sore.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic