Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Secret to Big Arms

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
I always believed the secret would be hammer curls or a type hammer gripped movement. The brachalis muscle on most guys with big arms looks like it take up the most room. what do you guys think?

meetcake

meetcake

Sep 29, 2010
hammers are deffinatly good but you gota be well rounded with each head of the bicep. not just one workout will do IMO.
im trying to get my outer bicep head up so i can get more of a peak.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
hammers are deffinatly good but you gota be well rounded with each head of the bicep. not just one workout will do IMO.
im trying to get my outer bicep head up so i can get more of a peak.

That's how I approach it.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Everybody always points at the bi's for arm size, but its the tri's that make up the majority of arm mass. The long head (inside of the arm), that is the bulk of the tri. Deep overhead movements will bring this area up. The lateral head, however is the outside of the 'horseshoe' most noticed by people. Close grip V-bar push-downs hits this head pretty hard.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Everybody always points at the bi's for arm size, but its the tri's that make up the majority of arm mass. The long head (inside of the arm), that is the bulk of the tri. Deep overhead movements will bring this area up. The lateral head, however is the outside of the 'horseshoe' most noticed by people. Close grip V-bar push-downs hits this head pretty hard.

Good advice Bromo-1. I agree with this. But, when you are walking up to someone, they notice the bis first. I've ALWAYS thought that large arms look better in the bicep region when hanging at your sides rather than flexed. That's just me though.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Good advice Bromo-1. I agree with this. But, when you are walking up to someone, they notice the bis first. I've ALWAYS thought that large arms look better in the bicep region when hanging at your sides rather than flexed. That's just me though.

Well shaped bi's still look like poo in baggy sleeves. Gotta have big brotha tricep to keep the shirt tight! :D

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
You need to do a combination of excercises to tear the muscle fibres from all areas to build them well, just picking out 1 or 2 excersises and sticking with them will take a long time to build up well.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
Big arms = straight bar curls, preacher curls, hammers, concentration curls + skull crushers, dips, close grip bench, push downs, and kick backs is a great finishing move.

cyto33

cyto33

MuscleHead
Sep 15, 2010
Big arms = straight bar curls, preacher curls, hammers, concentration curls + skull crushers, dips, close grip bench, push downs, and kick backs is a great finishing move.

hell dude i do all of those and i'm still small.
it's really buming me out. i cant get past 18.5" its really pissing me off. no joke.
i've been thinking about getting a trainer to take it further.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
for 18.5" arms to be small, you'd have to be like 6'3" and 250+ my friend. Those are not small arms IMO. But I know people are always self conscious, so I understand brotha.

I've just recently discovered the glory of weighted dips. I pull 2 benches close to each other, arms on one and feet resting on the other with plates in my lap. Nothing gives me the burn like this does. It's harder than any other tricep routine you can do, because to fail on a rep is to fall on your ass....that just isn't an option. Can't make it all the way down on that last rope pulldown? You can just take it so far and then retract. Again, that's just not an option with the dips.

I've also noticed that using just one bench and resting the feet on the ground while performing the same movement gives you a nice angle for the upper back/traps. My traps always feel like they're on fire after doing this. It's a nice lead in to the heavy trap lifting.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
hell dude i do all of those and i'm still small.
it's really buming me out. i cant get past 18.5" its really pissing me off. no joke.
i've been thinking about getting a trainer to take it further.

Alot of it is genetics man, my arms are the worst part of my entire body. Ive always been supper strong, lift big weights....everything on me grows like a weed except my arms. Sometimes you just gotta play the hand you were dealt. My legs, calves, all the BS supposed lagging parts that people dont have the balls to do I have...along with some bitchy little arms. Even my forearms are ridiculous but my bis just arent what I would like them to be. Just keep working on it, no trainer is gonna give you any secrets to great bis.

cyto33

cyto33

MuscleHead
Sep 15, 2010
just with my frame i should be able to get bigger but i am hard on myself.
your right about the trainner. i train others and i push them hard but when it comes to myself i act like a bitch and dont push it the best can.
i need a good boot in the ass to get going hard core again.
i'm 6' 230lbs 15%
just like OP i want the secret.
but in the mean time i will work hard and try what GS was talking about its been some time since i've done those dips.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic