Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Scott Weiland dies at 48

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
What pain would you say that they all have in common?

The common pain between these two is severe abuse in their childhoods. The Wilson brothers were raised by a violent, drinking, abusive dad. Dennis fought back but Brian who had anxiety issues at 14 was so fearful of his dad that he didn't fight back until one day when he was so fed up with the undeserved abuse that he uncharacteristically crapped on a plate, walked over to his dad smoking his pipe in a chair, handed the plate to him and said, "Here's your lunch!" His dad promptly beat the hell out of him.

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
https://www.biography.com/news/charles-manson-dennis-wilson-friendship And that's the story of how Dennis Wilson/The Beach Boys, notorious Charles Manson (and Trent Reznor) are connected.

in the movie, brian develops paranoid schitzophrenia (sp) diagnosed by his brother dennis, who apparently was a dr. ?? and then cared for abusively by him..... Eventually she got dennis removed from caring for brian and re-diagnosed at ucla as not PS, but did have issues which with the proper medication and therapy was much better. Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Brian was a paranoid schizophrenic, the voices in his head started a week after he took LSD at 22. His big mental breakdown was on a flight from L.A. to Houston for a concert tour. (1964) He had a major panic attack and stopped touring for at least a decade. From what I've read, and Brian's own words, he was kept in a dazed state by the quack doctor Eugene Landy who milked Brian for 35K + monthly and served lavish dinner parties at Brians's house and gave extravagant gifts including world travel to family and friends, all the while keeping Brian drugged up. If I remember correctly, cousin Mike Love with Brian's wife Melinda Ledbetter finally got the doctor thrown out and blocked Landy from taking over ALL of Brian's estate, what a crook. (1992)

Dennis was never a doctor -- he was the James Dean of the group, the only one of them BTW who could actually surf -- and he never liked Landry and was never abusive to his brother.

BTW2, Brian is 98% deaf in one ear (right) because of a neighborhood bully hitting him on the side of this head with a lead pipe as a kid. It severed a nerve in his head. That's why he talks with his mouth crooked like he's had a stroke because he can't hear from the right so he speaks more from the left side. He would position himself on stage to feel the beat of the speakers. He's like a modern Beethoven.

Would Brian have still ended up with a mental disorder without LSD? Probably -- the drug only hastened an already established disorder.
Like Syd Barrett, the founder of Pink Floyd -- what a story that is! LSD changed their lives, tragically so for Syd Barrett overnight. The love between those band members created the songs that would be one of the top four best selling albums of all time. The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) This progressive rock album still sells albums & t-shirts to a new generation. LSD left its mark on two incredibly brilliant musicians.

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Awesome intro...
Remake....Got some good harmonica going....Good soul song....

DUDE! Page & Plant YEAH!! When The Levee Breaks....Mama you got to GO!........(righteous!) :cool: gimme some harmonica

and a shout out salute to John Bonham on the drums!!!!!

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Yes, Brian was a paranoid schizophrenic, the voices in his head started a week after he took LSD at 22.....If I remember correctly, cousin Mike Love with Brian's wife Melinda Ledbetter finally got the doctor thrown out and blocked

I have to make a correction on my earlier statement: The diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenic was redacted and renamed as severe anxiety and depression with auditory hallucinations that he still battles with. And his brother Carl also helped free him from the domination and control of Dr. Landy and his illegal use of massive psychotropic drugs on Brian which has left him looking like a stroke victim. It was a two-year court battle that resulted in the loss of Landy's license to practice in California, as well as a court-ordered removal and restraining order.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
Agree!...Like maybe causing relationship breakups between wife/husband, boyfriend/girlfriend? *LOL*...What did u have on mind, brah?....

I was under the impression they all sold their souls and feel like there's no escape....:(

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
DUDE! Page & Plant YEAH!! When The Levee Breaks....Mama you got to GO!........(righteous!) :cool: gimme some harmonica

and a shout out salute to John Bonham on the drums!!!!!

Sad way to go for Bonham!...At least his son can jam like him, it seems!...I don't know who I like the most, Bonham, Moon, or Lee!...They all rock!....

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Sad way to go for Bonham!...At least his son can jam like him, it seems!...I don't know who I like the most, Bonham, Moon, or Lee!...They all rock!....

Yeah, I'd rather drown like Dennis Wilson, drunk in water, than like John Bonham, eew, but both drank to excess, 'death by alcohol'. So what was so wrong with their lives that they had to drink to such an extreme to escape?

Well, when you consider that Bohham was ranked #1 best drummer of all time by Classic Rock, Modern Drummer, Stylus, Gigwise.com, Rhythm, Rolling Stone, and the Los Angeles Times and Blabbermouth.net listed him as the #1 that rocker fans 'want brought back to life' -- I'd say Bonham's talent and timing was a style all its own. And how cool for Jason that his dad is still #1 after all these years; I wonder if it's difficult to be always compared to his dad?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Yeah, I'd rather drown like Dennis Wilson, drunk in water, than like John Bonham, eew, but both drank to excess, 'death by alcohol'. So what was so wrong with their lives that they had to drink to such an extreme to escape?

No doubt!...

U know, that's a good question....I've been around a lot of alcoholics in my life...Had an uncle that died at 55 due to alcoholism...It's weird, because he was a strong man, physically and mentally...From what I was told, he went in the military and came out a full fledged drunk!...Nobody knows why, he never had touched the stuff before he went...I think in his case, he just flat out became addicted physically and had to have it....What's odd about me is, I can drink and stop when I want...I usually do it for back pain, but I also get a kicker from it via rhythm...For some reason, I can play better when a little tipsy...The thing is, I won't go to drunkenness...I end up getting enough and stop when I'm at the level I want...Once the pain lessons, I can quit, if it works...Sometimes it doesn't tho, I just get some good rhythm going...I'll go on the limb here and say that if a person doesn't start it for some ulterior reason (emotional),then they might just become use to it and get snagged by the addiction of it, both, physically and psychologically...Like I said, I get good rhythm from a tad, shad...Maybe these musicians experience the same, yet, can't control it once they get on it...

Well, when you con!sider that Bohham was ranked #1 best drummer of all time by Classic Rock, Modern Drummer, Stylus, Gigwise.com, Rhythm, Rolling Stone, and the Los Angeles Times and Blabbermouth.net listed him as the #1 that rocker fans 'want brought back to life' -- I'd say Bonham's talent and timing was a style all its own. And how cool for Jason that his dad is still #1 after all these years; I wonder if it's difficult to be always compared to his dad?

Yes he was!!!!...He was kool too!....Probably so...Most who walk in others shadows do struggle it seems...I know it would be an issue for me...Not sure if pride would be the culprit, jealously or envy, who know's...I can only imagine trying to gain or make a name for one's self, in the background of a parent/sibling that is considered the best ever....Good talking with ya, hun!!...Stay safe!!!!....

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I have to make a correction on my earlier statement: The diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenic was redacted and renamed as severe anxiety and depression with auditory hallucinations that he still battles with. And his brother Carl also helped free him from the domination and control of Dr. Landy and his illegal use of massive psychotropic drugs on Brian which has left him looking like a stroke victim. It was a two-year court battle that resulted in the loss of Landy's license to practice in California, as well as a court-ordered removal and restraining order.

U know what I didn't understand about that situation?...How/why all the other people around him didn't do something sooner?...Seems like they would have noticed what was going before it got to the point it did!!!...

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
...they might just become use to it and get snagged by the addiction of it, both, physically and psychologically....Maybe these musicians experience the same, yet, can't control it once they get on it....

Yes, it's a crutch and then they can't shake it, sad. I wish the people who loved them could've successfully intervened but it ultimately comes down to personal responsibility and self-control, which Dennis seemed to lack. I'm grateful I have no problem w/ alcohol, it relaxes me but it's only a luxury, not an addiction. Now chocolate covered almonds/raisins? (kryptonite/weakness) books?....yes, I'm an addict...I stay high on ink...but I don't read and drive ;) and though I'm drowning in reading material, it's not fatal.

My thoughts too -- why didn't anyone care long before things were so far out of hand? Thank God for family and friends who care for us enough to be real with us and let us be real with them.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Yes, it's a crutch and then they can't shake it, sad. I wish the people who loved them could've successfully intervened but it ultimately comes down to personal responsibility and self-control, which Dennis seemed to lack. I'm grateful I have no problem w/ alcohol, it relaxes me but it's only a luxury, not an addiction. Now chocolate covered almonds/raisins? (kryptonite/weakness) books?....yes, I'm an addict...I stay high on ink...but I don't read and drive ;) and though I'm drowning in reading material, it's not fatal.

Crutch, indeed!!!!...Good way to describe it...And yes, the individual is 100% responsible!...I will say this...I've read a few psychology books and took a course of psychology in college...People seem to either have an addictive personalty or not...So, depending on your psychological makeup, this will determine generally how u will respond to an addictive substance/activity...Now, I'm not a psychologist, so, not sure if this applies to all...But if it does, I'm not sure how we should view a person who is stricken with the former...Can they help it?...Should we judge them?...

Anyway, once I had my back surgery, of course, narcotics were used and prescribed...The surgery didn't fix the issue...So, I was on a boat load of narcs (Percs, morphine [long and short acting used for breakaway pain and long term] , hydro and fentanyl)...I was on this for about 4 years give or take...I ended up saving enough hydro to titrate myself off of them...that is ,ALL narcs....Haven't used them for around 10 years now...I would say, I'm not the type to have the addictive personalty, yet, I was physically addicted, just not psychologically...I did not have to go to a shrink to help me get off, once I decided, I set a plan, and stuck to it...However, the pain is getting worse, so, I may find myself having to go back to it...Again, u are right in my opinion, that it's up to the person, however, if they have the "addictive" personality, then I'm not sure how to process it...

Reading?...That's a good addiction!...Same as working the ole bod.....Chocolate?...Well, now, it all depends...Haha!...And I'm not talking about the sugar ;)...Really tho, pure choc is suppose to be good for u, that is, in reasonable amounts...U sound like a pretty well rounded (mind) individual to me!....smart too!!!....

My thoughts too -- why didn't anyone care long before things were so far out of hand? Thank God for family and friends who care for us enough to be real with us and let us be real with them.

It's sad that in this day and time, the family construct has fallen!...So many don't have this necessity, Pearl!...I've been observing this for years now, and it continues to get worse...What's even more disheartening/scary for me, is the fact that there is no solution to bringing it back (family unit)....Look around at the morals, ethics, etc of the planet?...There almost isn't any!....What's your take on it?...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic