Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Scary how easy it is.........

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Been meaning to throw some thoughts down in this sub-forum for a while now, but some joker on another forum has convinced me that it is time. The guy got a hard-on for me and was trying to blast out my identity to the entire board. So here are some things to make you think twice about how easy it is (or hard you can make it) for the DEA or equivalent to track you down.

Let's start off with the norm. Almost nobody conceals their sex, right? It's pretty easy to find out within a couple posts what sex the anonymous user is. Well now you just eliminated 50% (we're going to use general averages here) of the people in the country. Then a month later you talk about how it's cold as shit and raining. After a quick Google search, the investigator now knows you are either in the Northwest or Northeast. So now you are in the Northwest or Northeast and you are a man. "But there are millions and millions of men in the NW and NE corners of the US. They have no clue who I am" you say? I'm just getting started.

You post again on a random thread that your wife got home and was pissed that you were late picking the kids up from school because you were working out. Damn, now you are a married man with kids in one of two areas in the US. More than likely, they have figured out which coast you are on based on your posting tendencies cross-referenced with the respective time-zones. But if not, you will slip up eventually and give away your time zone, whether it's a work reference "Done with my 9 to 5 in 10 min. Yippee!" or a sleep reference "Well boys, it's 10 o'clock, time to hit the sack." etc.

So what do we have so far; You are a married man with children in the Northeast corner of the US. Now to really pinpoint you...

You mention in the shoutbox to a buddy that you're turning 31 in two days and your wife is taking you to a steak-house on the coast called De'Angelos. The investigator now knows your exact birthday, what state you live in and, more importantly, what town you live in or near. They go to the steak-house the day after your birthday dinner and ask the waitresses and waiters if they had a 30ish male with his wife who were celebrating his birthday. They get a hit, and 5 minutes later they have your name, address, etc etc etc. Could they have just busted you at the steak-house? No, for what? With what? We don't carry around needles and vials in our fucking pockets. But they know this, and what they want is your residence and everything inside.

So they have a surveillance team watch you for a few days while simultaneously following all of your posts and shoutbox correspondences, and they pick the perfect time to fuck your world up.

And I didn't even touch on pictures, tattoos in said pictures, etc.

Alright, the story is over, and we all know that the DEA and affiliates don't have the manpower or desire to track down every single low-level user. They want the big fish. But if they think that the aforementioned low-level user has knowledge of multiple big fish and the waters those big fishies swim in, then they may be looking for you after all. The point is, I think we all get pretty comfortable on here sometimes, and I think that we may lose sight of what's at stake if our identity is made public on these forums. I got real close to knowing that paranoia recently, so I'm just doing my underground service announcement.

Here's a tip I was told when I first started skimming these forums. I was told to lay some dummy info down in my profile and posts now and again. The way I look at it is, leave some breadcrumbs that lead to the wrong gingerbread house. Say something about I-10 when you are nowhere near the south. Or about how slow the Pac-Coast Highway always is when you are on the East Coast. Or about how your kids are growing up too fast when you are actually a virgin (KBD?) :cool:. Etc, etc. Who knows, it may keep you out of jail, and you would never know it.

Last edited:
goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
I have no fear of the gubberment coming for me over anything i do on the forums, i am the smallest fish in the sea. as far as some wacko trying from the boards trying to find me bc i hurt his feelings or something, well, i could use the live fire drill.......

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Seriously bro, I don't let it bother me. Let stuff like someone tracking me down bother me i would worry all the time. BTW there are 3 more people in my city with the same name and 2 are married with kids.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
And one of them is in a wheelchair and the other is 6'1" 135lb. Between the three of you, I'm pretty sure they'll figure out the right one. lol. But you're right, it sucks to constantly be looking over your shoulder. I didn't write this to scare anybody or make anybody paranoid. Just throwing it out there because I do think that sometimes we put too much info out there either on the board or in the shoutbox.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
it sucks to constantly be looking over your shoulder

no it doesn't, i am always scanning 365 degrees every where i go to protect myself and my family. i always sit facing the door, and always know every exit possible once inside an establishment. my wife or daughter always know to walk on my left side in case i need to "body guard" them. for me it is simply a way of life.

In this world there are 3 kinds of people. The sheep, the wolf, and the sheep dog.......i just happen to be a sheep dog.

Renegade69

Renegade69

Sep 11, 2010
I agree, it is all too easy to gather information. Sometimes we need a reminder! Good stuff bro...Agreed most of us are the small fish, but the little ones quite often lead to the big ones, so why get jammed up when prevention is just as easy. Nice post.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
no it doesn't, i am always scanning 365 degrees every where i go to protect myself and my family. i always sit facing the door, and always know every exit possible once inside an establishment. my wife or daughter always know to walk on my left side in case i need to "body guard" them. for me it is simply a way of life.

In this world there are 3 kinds of people. The sheep, the wolf, and the sheep dog.......i just happen to be a sheep dog.

My definition of "looking over your shoulder" is when you are paranoid that you are about to be caught for something that you are guilty of and have no way of defending your innocence.

What you're describing is more of a "watching your 6" type of attitude. That's just being smart. I am the same way since I married my wife. I used to be the wolf, constantly scanning for a new victim or another wolf that thought he was badder than me. But then I grew up (finally) and got married and translated the wolf skills into sheep-dog skills. I have since day 1 considered myself guardian and protector of my wife's life. Shit, she even mentioned in her wedding vows that she was marrying her best friend and bodyguard. That made me so proud I wanted to marry her twice.

Last edited:
Getraw

Getraw

VIP Member
Feb 6, 2011
Good read, BUT if these boards weren't for role playing purposes I would give the advise to never post anything that can incriminate you. Such as " just ordered huge order" or anything stupid like that. Also be carful even posting in a role playing Sources thread Like "YGM". Do not have your email the same as your board name, and change them monthly. Watch the headings in your emails as well. Use a Proxy, and never EVER source locally. Be greedy and Be the biggest in your town, let them find there own way to get gear. But thank the lord these boards are only for role playing.

GR

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
I sir, am a neutered house cat named Cheddar. If my owner gets home early I have the history cleared before he gets the key in the door and I'm off to an enjoyable bit of licking myself in a sunny spot near the front door.

We're I human, I'd really respect your line of thought though.

Remember Irish and the trouble he had- I know of another human here as well that has had issue.

Be safe!

Last edited:
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
It's easier then you think sometimes.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010

My thoughts exactly goldylocks

Damn this earthquake just about knocked my pc offline... and these japs cant speak a lick if engrish....

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Like LK said, it's much easier than you think. Keep personal information to a low online, you'd be surprised how much is actually out there on people. Just be safe.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic