Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Running

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Anyone run or do any running/jogging? Need to run a certain distance within a certain time for a physical soon. Been training, or should I say trying to run on treadmill for a while, in hopes of meeting the time criteria, but it's been a bitch. My issue with running is I get these mean shin splints/pumps or whatever after abut 3 minutes of running. Fukk that. Hurts like a bitch. Area just outside of shin gets rock hard, vascular and is tight (no homo) as hell and I have to stop. I jump on bike or eliptical after, but no running. Anyone else have this issue? What did you do to get past it?

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
Have you considered chronic exertional anterior compartment syndrome?. I have the exact same symptoms as you but I get it in my actual calf as well..... my sports physician has Compartment syndrome and popliteal artery entrapment on my differential. I have had the pressure test performed for compartment syndrome.... I was informed that the average pressure is 15.... mine was 40 after doing 15 unweighted calf raises (confirmed with pressure test/needle). I'd like to add that my leg's weren't hurting when the pressure was 40 (they consider an operation in the Uk if the pressure goes above 37) so I can't imagine what it goes up to when I'm running and it actually hurts. With regards to popliteal artery entrapment it can cause the same symptoms so I need to go get a doppler redone to rule this out ( radiographer didn't do it with full plantar flexion the first time so he has to re do it) as I don't want to have my calfs split for the cause to actually be a trapped artery.

Go read some experiences of compartment syndrome see if it fits Gaiden.

Things that have helped me a little.... compression sleeve's/Socks..... A lot of Ice..... Foam rolling. My doc says that by using a certain podiatrist who works with our Olympic team they have managed to combat this problem in 80% of people without the need for invasive surgery.

P.s I'll take a grooming lesson..... I hope you do a 2 for 1 like you do on taco tuesday.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Ok, get off the treadmill. They are very unforgiving to run on, especially for a larger guy. A treadmill can force you into an uncomfortable stride and cause your pain. Also make sure you have proper shoes.
Now, get your ass outside and find a similar surface that you will be running your test on. Now that you are outside, grass or dirt is best, but if they're not an option, the asphalt street is a lot better than the cement sidewalk.
since it is a known distance, likely between one and three miles, the best thing is to run that distance, untimed, so that you know it's do able. Then you can work on speed if you need to. Using an example of a two mile run, what I would do is alternate between a two mile run for distance and a 800 for speed. Say you were going to run MWF. The first week would be distance/speed/distance. Next week speed/distance/speed.
finally, you can stretch and foam roll the part of your shin that's bothering you. Also there's an excercise that involves holding a dumbbell between your feet and flexing your feet toward you.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I had the same issue with tightening and pain. That sucks that your are training to hit a certain time. Good luck. I stopped doing all cardio over 2 miles and switched to walking at about 3.3 speed on full incline treadmill and 3-4 days a week after the gym the wife and I will go to the beach or park and run sprints 10-15 minutes of that even with rest gets my heart rate up in a hurry. I'm still a big proponent of jumping rope or jumping jacks. If I'm home grading papers or working around the house I will stop every ten minutes and do 50 jumping jacks. Over the course of the day it adds up.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
All these people on the side of the road running everywhere, they all look like they are in such pain and suffering. Where are they all running to!!

Seeker

Seeker

Dec 30, 2011
All these people on the side of the road running everywhere, they all look like they are in such pain and suffering. Where are they all running to!!

To each their own but people running on the side of the road in the middle of the day makes no sense to me. Cars, buses, trucks wissing by them just a few feet away pouring out fumes. Wtf

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Just thinking of how bad running can be, if you're not rail thin and have good joints/cartilage and everything else that gets punished while running. Guess that's why you don't see BBers, PLers jogging/running for long periods of time.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
No running for me. Hip issues since I was a kid.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
pretend immigration is behind you ;)

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
1. Don't run in old shoes.
2. Get fitted for new ones (Mizuno, brooks, saucony)
3. Don't run in Nikes, they're designed for 145lb pussies
4. Don't run heel to toe, that's old school thought and thus cause for shin splints
5. stay on the balls of your feet
6. stop running on a g-damn treadmill

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
About 15 years ago I started running on the balls of my feet and not only did I run faster, but it had a lot lower impact. I stopped running when I hit 200lbs and haven't done it since.

Good shoes are a must to avoid shin splints and other problems.

Also, warm up slowly then do some dynamic stretching before you start running hard.

If you can't avoid problems running, add in some bike riding. You will increase your cardio capacity with even lower impact. You'll still need to run a couple days per week, but might cut down on the damage you're doing to your body!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic