What's New?

Rotator Cuff Tear-Surgery 8/31

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
UPDATE:
Met with Doc last Tues, 2/5. That visit was 5 months post op.
With going to PT 3x's/week, it has improved my status significantly. In addition, my PT is doing ASTEM on me about twice a week.
I'm starting to feel almost normal again. At this point, we are just working on my strength. Which is not a problem for me LOL.
My ER (external rotation) is still weak. All other ranges are doing great and has improved.
When i raise my arm, i sometimes feel a "bunchy" at the top, doc said this is the scar tissue. Hoping that clears up in the next few weeks, otherwise it is the doc going in to scope it and get it out. I don't really want to do that, but if it fixes me fast, i just may. Will see.

I had met my insurance plan visits for the plan year, so that sux. I'm now shelling out $65US/per visit. So i'm down to PT twice a week now since last week. LOL

Last week, my PT had me do some BFR (blood flow restriction). Put some bands on my arms right under delts/above biceps, pumped it tight. Then started doing some exercises. Got a good pump, felt good. Fingers were tingly lol.

Had a great leg day both this past Saturday and also this morning. In addition to my shoulder..injured my foot. So i'm having an MRI on that puppy this Wednesday. Another set back LOL.

As a result of these setbacks, i've added some fat in areas i didn't plan to....so i have to work a little extra to get that fluff off. I've cleaned up my diet and will be incorporating some cardio as well. It's just that my foot hurts so i can't do intense cardio like i'm used to.

Peeps at the gym and ppl i follow on social media are all starting prep for shows and stuff...gets me itchy to do one. But I know that they will always be there and will be waiting for me. Hope to do one next year, 2020, was thinking the fall. I was hoping to do the Midwest again next year, but with these set backs i feel like my off season is really behind now. Will see how much i can get done this year.

Did i mention that I became a grandma on 12/29/2018?? WTH! (will start a separate thread about that LOL...Grandma's who lift...it is a new thing)

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
UPDATE: Did i mention that I became a grandma on 12/29/2018?? WTH! (will start a separate thread about that LOL...Grandma's who lift...it is a new thing)
GILF!

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@Ogre717 bwahaha

Update: Had PT again this morning. So as of late, been going 2 x's/week for a few weeks now. I have 2 more weeks left.
I feel like i've made such good progress here lately and i'm almost feeling back to my pre-surgery self (aside from the atrophy lol). In terms of arm usage, that is.
We did ASTEM this morning and BFR (blood flow restriction).
While doing push ups on the bosu, i noticed that i was a bit more controlled than last time. I think my strength is coming back. Its a good, no great feeling!
While doing my PT exercises at the place, i try to really focus on mind/muscle connection and make the muscles work. I'm still weak in the external rotation (ER),but almost there with mind/muscle connection actually. My PT mentioned that he feels i can take it from here if Doc were to OK it. I think I can as well.

Exercises performed while having the BFR straps on:
-Bosu ball push ups for time. 30secs on/30secs off.
-Stomach on bouncy ball, T's and Y's arm raises; 2# db; 20 reps each for 3 rounds.
-External and Internal rotation, standing, with bands (blue on internal/yellow on external).
-Stacking cups raising arm high putting cups on a high shelf. 3 rounds for 30 secs each.
-Lying on left side, doing external rotation with a tomato paste can (bwahaha). 3 rounds for 20 reps each.
-Lying on stomach on bench, using tomato paste can, doing a rotation arm thingy for 3 rounds 20 reps each.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
@Ogre717 bwahaha

Update: Had PT again this morning. So as of late, been going 2 x's/week for a few weeks now. I have 2 more weeks left.
I feel like i've made such good progress here lately and i'm almost feeling back to my pre-surgery self (aside from the atrophy lol). In terms of arm usage, that is.
We did ASTEM this morning and BFR (blood flow restriction).
While doing push ups on the bosu, i noticed that i was a bit more controlled than last time. I think my strength is coming back. Its a good, no great feeling!
While doing my PT exercises at the place, i try to really focus on mind/muscle connection and make the muscles work. I'm still weak in the external rotation (ER),but almost there with mind/muscle connection actually. My PT mentioned that he feels i can take it from here if Doc were to OK it. I think I can as well.

Exercises performed while having the BFR straps on:
-Bosu ball push ups for time. 30secs on/30secs off.
-Stomach on bouncy ball, T's and Y's arm raises; 2# db; 20 reps each for 3 rounds.
-External and Internal rotation, standing, with bands (blue on internal/yellow on external).
-Stacking cups raising arm high putting cups on a high shelf. 3 rounds for 30 secs each.
-Lying on left side, doing external rotation with a tomato paste can (bwahaha). 3 rounds for 20 reps each.
-Lying on stomach on bench, using tomato paste can, doing a rotation arm thingy for 3 rounds 20 reps each.

PT is not about how much weight you lift, but how you control the weight you lift. I'm a 230lb man, but most of my PT exercises are done using 3lb - 5lb dumbbells. When I first started doing PT for my shoulders I kept trying to increase the weight I was using. I finally figured out that I needed to lighten up and concentrate on isolating the movement on to the rotator cuffs and not the delts.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@Anabolic Beast : you are soooo right. I really, really focused during my PT sessions. For some reason the mind/muscle connection for my ER (external rotation) was a buggar to come in.

UPDATE: Seen my shoulder doc today. HE HAS RELEASED ME! Said only to go back to him if I have any problems.
He said i have made great improvements and that there is nothing he can do surgically now to help me along. He said he would even recommend giving up PT and go forth on my own. PT said same thing as well.
What a journey (complete understatement).

I still have a long road ahead of me. But here I go.....LOL. I now need to take it easy and SLOW and focus and regain muscle one fiber at a time.

I asked my PT if i could come in in a few months or so, so he can evaluate me to see if I am improving, he said yes. So that's cool. He said he can do a free evaluation at that time. So that is really cool. lol.

Now, to get this boot off my foot (thats another thread lol).

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Does this mean u r back to making sammiches full time?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic