pbtom
What's New?

Rotator Cuff Tear-Surgery 8/31

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@dan gable Yes, I know that you need more PRP's (smiley face)....after having this surgery and in preparation for surgery I read all about the tendons, etc. Blood supply comes from the bone to the tendon to heal, etc. Yes i'm familiar with graston's technique.
My new PT guy is certified in Astym, which i'm intrigued about doing at a later date of course. I need to get myself back on track. i'm behind in my rehab a few weeks.
My insurance doesn't cover PRP so i wasn't going to get any more of those. That is why i'm not doing them post op also. A friend I know, had shoulder surgery and injected GH into her shoulder both pre and post surgery.

Well to prepare for a surgery like this...i don't blame you for putting off to a good time for you in your life. It is a LOT and it takes forever. That shoulder is a complicated dude...not like a knee. And if you have kids or what not, well that complicates things too. I certainly wish you luck when you decide to do. Like I said in a few posts, i met with several docs to come up with this answer.
Man, sorry you have to suffer dude. I took Tylenol PM....LOL. You don't have any short term disability bennie at your work? Look into aflac.

Good luck

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Shoulder surgery sucks! I know as I've had three in the past three years. This coming December 22 will mark the 1 year anniversary of my last shoulder surgery. Glad the tendon wasn't re-torn, hate for you to have to go thru this again. Be careful pushing through the pain when doing your PT. As a hard trainer who's used to pushing your body in the gym, your threshold for pain and physical discomfort is higher than normal. My therapist was constantly reminding me of this and telling me not to overdo it. He said that with the average person he has push them during rehab, but with hard training weight athletes he has to pull us back from pushing too hard.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
i had my lft hip replaced in april of this yr and was having shoulder pain at the same time. it seemed like every yr while doing inclines and getting up to around 245 for 8-10 snap goes the shoulder and my shoulder would hurt for about 3 mo and go away. it would rotate from lft to rt, one yr on the rt side and the next on the left, etc....
however, this yr, 6 mo after the SNAP I realized it wasn't going to heal on its own so during my last hip appt I inquired about PRP. the PRP doc recommended an mri to see if it was a possibility to work. mri revealed to much damage for PRP to work so I had surgery and after 4 mo im about 80%. ive been doing 3 iu's gh per day which seems to be my sweet spot and I feel it is def helping with recovery. I may be way off base but I really feel that additional muscle cells are being made and when I get back to 100% and my training is back on full speed I am in for some amazing results. first, I am really grateful the doc didn't take advantage of my gungho attitude about getting the PRP and get 'this damn shoulder fixed' taking up to $5k and then recommending surgery. second, I am really gonna make an effort to stay away from the bb and stay with db to help prevent future shoulder inj. sorry for the novel...…………………...

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@searay no worries, thank you for the update. Hope you get back to 100% soon. I like hearing others' suffering stories too : )

UPDATE: I'm 2 weeks and 6 sessions in with my new PT place. What a difference. They actually care about what i'm doing, what my goals are and very much into functional stuff and actually look at me, and correcting me to ensure i am engaging the right muscles and not just using my trap as a crutch.
They do BFR (blood flow restriction) therapy there too. My PT said he may have me doing that starting next week.
Overall, i'm behind...oh well (thought we re-tore it), but I don't care I just want to be well. I'm sitting at 19weeks (4.5 mos) post surgery now.

In PT, working on strengthening and A LOT of stretching!!! LOL; he is really workin that shoulder. Feels good and bad....i think you get me : )
He had me doing planks the other day and push ups from the wall (but i do the push ups from the gym bench already).
PR'd leg press last week at 680lbs.
They are having me do db bicep curls with 5lbs (yawn). But that 1lb db sure feels heavy raising my arm straight LOL.

I feel like I am back on track now. These next few weeks, if I feel that my range is limited or anything else, doc may go back in to clean up scar tissue. Doc said it is a one day thing, will be in sling only for one day, then can go back into therapy. He said basically he can go there on a Friday and i could be back to work on Monday. I don't know if all that is true, but since doc is telling me i can only guess it is. He made a comment that I guess my body was healing really fast as the scar tissue accumulated. Not sure how true that is, but whatev.

Definitely no competitions this year....but I do want to do one next year. We will see how I progress and add muscle this year. For now, living the THICK life lol.

Happy Lifting y'all.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I stubbed my toe a few years back, one hello kitty band-aid and I was back in action....No rehab or PT, guess I am lucky or have genetically gifted toes......

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
@searay no worries, thank you for the update. Hope you get back to 100% soon. I like hearing others' suffering stories too : )

UPDATE: I'm 2 weeks and 6 sessions in with my new PT place. What a difference. They actually care about what i'm doing, what my goals are and very much into functional stuff and actually look at me, and correcting me to ensure i am engaging the right muscles and not just using my trap as a crutch.
They do BFR (blood flow restriction) therapy there too. My PT said he may have me doing that starting next week.
Overall, i'm behind...oh well (thought we re-tore it), but I don't care I just want to be well. I'm sitting at 19weeks (4.5 mos) post surgery now.

In PT, working on strengthening and A LOT of stretching!!! LOL; he is really workin that shoulder. Feels good and bad....i think you get me : )
He had me doing planks the other day and push ups from the wall (but i do the push ups from the gym bench already).
PR'd leg press last week at 680lbs.
They are having me do db bicep curls with 5lbs (yawn). But that 1lb db sure feels heavy raising my arm straight LOL.

I feel like I am back on track now. These next few weeks, if I feel that my range is limited or anything else, doc may go back in to clean up scar tissue. Doc said it is a one day thing, will be in sling only for one day, then can go back into therapy. He said basically he can go there on a Friday and i could be back to work on Monday. I don't know if all that is true, but since doc is telling me i can only guess it is. He made a comment that I guess my body was healing really fast as the scar tissue accumulated. Not sure how true that is, but whatev.

Definitely no competitions this year....but I do want to do one next year. We will see how I progress and add muscle this year. For now, living the THICK life lol.

Happy Lifting y'all.

I ate a lot of ice cream after my surgery...ice cream on top of brownies.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
oh my girl --guess i need to let you get some rest ---all that PT we have been doing!!

glad ur doing well and filling the boys in on what they are missing!!!
ill see you tonight for your weekly rub down!!!

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
@BovaJP , hows the physique holding up during all this down time?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@BovaJP , hows the physique holding up during all this down time?

@Ogre717 I'm hopeful that i haven't lost much muscle mass. Well, I know I have in my right/dominant arm, but from an overall perspective i'm hopeful i haven't lost much. My intent was to keep it fairly lean throughout the recovery......well, was doing well up until he thought I re-tore it, then i entered into a temporary depression and ate like an asshole.
My cardio has been minimum, as per the doc orders.
But that's ok, i'm hoping to bounce all this back here real soon.
In summary: enjoying the fluff, thick life : )
Was really focusing on my legs though. Doing all i can to gain strength and size down there.

1/24/19 Update: Ok this post makes it almost 5mos post surgery; 6 weeks with my new PT place.....and we are seeing progress...slow and steady wins the race....oh man.
Today, my PT did ASTEM on me....we are trying that as it still feels like I am limited in my range of motion on my own. Passive range of motion is like normal, but only my own, i feel like i am limited and it could be that scar tissue. So we tried ASTEM this morning in hopes that this might help. Instead of doc going in to clean it up, that is.
See the doc on 2/4, so I have all this week and next week to see what I can do with it. Then i'll make a decision on if i want doc to go back in and clean up scar tissue or not. I don't want to go back under, but if it will give me immediate relief...then i 'm all for that, which the doc assures me it would.
Last weekend I fooled around with some db rows at the gym and went up to 15lbs (they have me doin 8# in PT<yawn>). Felt good on my impared arm, not too bad. I could have gone up in weight, but didn't want to push it. I also did some seated cable rows at 30#. Again, felt good, i feel like I could do more, but i will be patient...damn it is hard lol.

I'm super positive that my husband never, ever, ever wants to have this surgery done. BWAHAHA, what, i'm an angel : )

Anyway, i'm slowly starting to be normal or aka, before surgery.
Happy Lifting Y'All

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
@Ogre717 I'm hopeful that i haven't lost much muscle mass. Well, I know I have in my right/dominant arm, but from an overall perspective i'm hopeful i haven't lost much. My intent was to keep it fairly lean throughout the recovery......well, was doing well up until he thought I re-tore it, then i entered into a temporary depression and ate like an asshole.
My cardio has been minimum, as per the doc orders.
But that's ok, i'm hoping to bounce all this back here real soon.
In summary: enjoying the fluff, thick life : )
Was really focusing on my legs though. Doing all i can to gain strength and size down there.

1/24/19 Update: Ok this post makes it almost 5mos post surgery; 6 weeks with my new PT place.....and we are seeing progress...slow and steady wins the race....oh man.
Today, my PT did ASTEM on me....we are trying that as it still feels like I am limited in my range of motion on my own. Passive range of motion is like normal, but only my own, i feel like i am limited and it could be that scar tissue. So we tried ASTEM this morning in hopes that this might help. Instead of doc going in to clean it up, that is.
See the doc on 2/4, so I have all this week and next week to see what I can do with it. Then i'll make a decision on if i want doc to go back in and clean up scar tissue or not. I don't want to go back under, but if it will give me immediate relief...then i 'm all for that, which the doc assures me it would.
Last weekend I fooled around with some db rows at the gym and went up to 15lbs (they have me doin 8# in PT<yawn>). Felt good on my impared arm, not too bad. I could have gone up in weight, but didn't want to push it. I also did some seated cable rows at 30#. Again, felt good, i feel like I could do more, but i will be patient...damn it is hard lol.

I'm super positive that my husband never, ever, ever wants to have this surgery done. BWAHAHA, what, i'm an angel : )

Anyway, i'm slowly starting to be normal or aka, before surgery.
Happy Lifting Y'All
Well don't stop the progress pics

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic