pbtom
What's New?

Rotator Cuff Tear-Surgery 8/31

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Doc eval this morning. He thinks i may have retorn/reinjured. He wants an ultrasound done. Scheduled it for 12/7, until then, no PT.

I am devastated at this set back.

I think I know what happened. I was in PT last Tues, and he had me do a move and it really, really hurt. But I thought i'm in PT, everything is going to hurt so suck it up, buttercup right? I think that was when I retore it or re-hurt it or whatever it is called.

Ultrasound on 12/7, see doc for re-eval on 12/10.

Good news out of all of this, i have met my deductible with insurance so.....whatever needs to happen.

I'm pissed, i'm upset. :(

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
That really sucks, hope it's just a pull or whatever and not a retear.

Deductibles reset in 1 month, get what you need done now!

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Update: Had ultrasound on 12/7 of shoulder. When i was getting it done, the doc came in and looked at everything, she said that the tendon is attached, not torn. (happy dance, but don't want to get too excited need to see what my ortho doc says).
Met with my ortho doc (shoulder doc) yesterday, 12/10 in the afternoon. He said it is not torn, so that is good, but he said something is up with my bicep, and also is going to treat me for frozen shoulder. He gave me 2 cortisone shots in shoulder/upper bicep and he wants to me to switch PT places and go to 3x's/week instead of 2. He then said he may have to go back in and clean up scar tissue, but will try all this first. I see him next on 1/7/19.
He suspects i did something to the bicep tendon in that move that the PA had me do right before Thanksgiving. He explained that the tendon can get "off track" so to speak in certain movements, so giving the injections will help relax it a bit.

i'm so excited to finally have a plan for a path forward.
I have switched up PT, my eval is this Thursday.

Wish me luck all, and thanks!

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Awww....thanks guys! i'll take that as a compliment : )
<<blushing>>

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I had shoulder surgery about 4 months ago but it was a repair of my bicept tendon where it attaches at the shoulder. no where near as bad as what you had done. I didn't do pt because of bad experiences in the past like you had. the doc gave me the excercises to do and amount of weight to use and although he told me to keep upping the weight each week I would only increase if the pain was getting better. like with over head db presses I am still at only 5 lb db because the pain is taking so long to get better. everything else is doing great and im almost at half my pre-injury weights on a few lifts. one piece of advice would be to not get discouraged over how long it takes for the pain to subside. you have to really try and gauge it over each months time and that will even seem like forever as you have good days and think wow it feels so much better and then the next day it hurts like a mofo. wish you the best on your recovery...….

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
I will be going under the knife eventually. Have a partial tear in my infraspanatus, full in my supraspanatous and partial in my labrum.... the thought of being out of the gym for 8 weeks is really upsetting. I am also going to be screwed being out of work...

Hey BovaJP, are you using any peptides to help speed recovery? What about PRP? I am using GH, TB500, and BPC157 right now and plan on doing the same post surgery and adding PRP.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
@dan gable , PRP is a peptide? You are not referring to Platelet Rich Plasma injections? lol. I had a PRP in my shoulder this past Jan, but didn't help...obviously LOL.
I am not using GH or anything actually right now. Other than Test Cyp..but that is just for hormonal balance since its so low.

I want to get my hands on some GH, and start that again. While I am "off season" and in the thick of my fluff, why not add to it lol. The last time i did a cycle i couldn't get passed the stage where i was gaining weight so i quit LOL. Maybe my body will react differently this time, who knows. Afterall, it was probably about 9 yrs ago i tried it. I was taking anavar before/during/after surgery.

Yea i hear ya on going under the knife dude. You must be in the physical work field. Yikes. Yea that puts you out of commission for quite some time. Got aflac? lol.

D

dan gable

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2017
Yes, Platelet Rich Plasma injections. You said:
"I had a PRP in my shoulder this past Jan, but didn't help...obviously LOL."

PRP can't heal a full tear because at that point you need to manually reattach the torn ligament or tendon. But, PRP can potentially help heal a partial tear. Tendons and ligaments are practically avascular and that's why it takes them so long to heal. But by doing PRP and having the Dr use a sonogram to inject the PRP right into the partial tear, you are providing the area with what it needs to heal. Also, you said you had 'a' PRP done in your shoulder. It takes multiple treatments in order to be affective. I had 8 PRP injections. It definitely helped a lot!

And yes, I work a physicaly demanding job so it makes it a really tough situation. My doc wrote me two seperate scripts for 6 months each of PT. It definitely helped and my PT Dr did grastons (?) Which is like localized deep tissue using a rounded piece of solid plastic, stone, or jade to loosen up the injured area up. It is painful as hell and because of its intensity, it stimulates the healing process. You are basically mildly injuring the area to trigger a healing response. I would do another 6 months of PT but my insurance sucks so it's too expensive for me to do a third round. I just do the majority of exercises in the gym or at home. Bought the bands and a few other PT items. What really sucks too is that my doc won't write me a script for pain meds anymore because he says I just need to get the surgery and am just delaying the inevitable. I used to use them only at night before bed when my shoulder was really bothering me so that I could actually get a solid nights sleep and be ready for work the next day. He has my scans and knows I have tears, and knows I can't afford to be out of work right now but still won't write me another script...so I just have to suffer....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic