Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Rotator cuff strength?

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
What are your best exercises against weak rotator cuff weakness? I get front heavy and can feel the weak link right after a triumphant bench day

F

Frank Rizzo

May 19, 2019
Straight arm side air spinners for me.

F

Frank Rizzo

May 19, 2019
Slinging around a ninja sword around the back yard 1 handed is also great.

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Reactions: Jin
Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I only own a katana. Will that suffice?

Rotator cuff exercises before each session with a band. Had to take off 6 months from all chest presses because my RC were fuct.

https://www.setforset.com/blogs/new...-exercises-for-rehab-prehab-and-strengthening

These are what I did and still do before every upper body session.

This is good shit right here.. Exactly where I am right now (taking off from press because rc got jacked up).

Going to have to incorporate this when I get back.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
What are your best exercises against weak rotator cuff weakness? I get front heavy and can feel the weak link right after a triumphant bench day

I do some light band work and shoulder stretches. At 53, my shoulders feel as good as when I was 20, even though I have had some intermittent pain over the years.

Here is more detail.

On the bands, I start with my elbows at my ribcage and fists straight ahead, holding the band in both hands, then keeping my elbows tucked in tight, pull my hands apart. I do about 10 of these underhand, and 10 of them overhand.

Next I hold my arms straight out front at shoulder level, and pull my hands apart 10 times so the band ends up touching my chest or neck.

Next I hold them overhead and pulling my hands apart, do another 10 with the band coming down to my neck as my arms go straight out to the sides.

On the shoulder stretches, I use a large band at about shoulder height, and stretch my arm across the front of my body. Then, while my arm is stretched, I hold the position and let the joint relax for a full stretch. Finally, while keeping it in the stretched position, I move my arm up and down in front of me, so it is overhead, where I briefly hold it until the muscle relaxes into the stretch, then keeping my arm stretched across my chest, I rotate it until it is down as low as I can hold it. I repeat this with the other arm. When done, my shoulders feel amazing.

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
I do some light band work and shoulder stretches. At 53, my shoulders feel as good as when I was 20, even though I have had some intermittent pain over the years.

Here is more detail.

On the bands, I start with my elbows at my ribcage and fists straight ahead, holding the band in both hands, then keeping my elbows tucked in tight, pull my hands apart. I do about 10 of these underhand, and 10 of them overhand.

Next I hold my arms straight out front at shoulder level, and pull my hands apart 10 times so the band ends up touching my chest or neck.

Next I hold them overhead and pulling my hands apart, do another 10 with the band coming down to my neck as my arms go straight out to the sides.

On the shoulder stretches, I use a large band at about shoulder height, and stretch my arm across the front of my body. Then, while my arm is stretched, I hold the position and let the joint relax for a full stretch. Finally, while keeping it in the stretched position, I move my arm up and down in front of me, so it is overhead, where I briefly hold it until the muscle relaxes into the stretch, then keeping my arm stretched across my chest, I rotate it until it is down as low as I can hold it. I repeat this with the other arm. When done, my shoulders feel amazing.

Agreed on the band usage. When I tore my labrum, my PT had me start with a low resistance band and work my way up in reps (had to hit 50 reps with no twinge or pain) before moving to one with higher resistance. Additionally, I also used a shit ton of ice wraps on the area.

It took me approx 6 months before I could use the 5-10lb dumbbells for front/side lateral raises.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Not knocking you Jin, that's a good find but that guy is offering poor execution.

The wall crawls above are great and internal and external rotations with a band (light tension) is good. The video above is not very accurate in showing how to do most of those exercises. E.I. the front raise <EXERCISE #7: SHOULDER FLEXION TO 90 DEGREES > he has zero tension at the bottom after your arm moves over 30% away from your body the rotator cuff no longer is the prime mover it's the anterior deltoid so that exercise is totally incorrect for RC strengthening because with a weak RC putting that much pressure is not "rehab" is strength building of the anterior deltoid . Same issue on EXERCISE #1: <SHOULDER ABDUCTION TO 90 DEGREES >

<EXERCISE #3: INTERNAL ROTATION AT 0 DEGREES> is not correct at the complete internal rotation, your elbow should never move away from your body at all, your shoulder should stay "packed" and not rotate out like the video shows, if you do you are putting excessive pressure on the RC under tension... so make sure your elbow stays locked in place, I tell clients to put a thin towel between their elbow and body so when they do the rotations if the towel falls they are not keeping in the correct position.

A pretty neat tool is called the shoulder horn, look it up. It works internal and external rotation from a locked position <EXERCISE #4: INTERNAL and EXTERNAL ROTATION AT 90 DEGREE ABDUCTION and ADDUCTION>

Now IMO don't use dumbbells for these movements, use a light band and build from there. I see people use dumbbells all the time but the issue in the internal and external rotation exercises you are not creating tension in the right direction (you are adding shear force on the elbow now the RC and partially you are going across gravity instead of against gravity which when using a band you have constant tension through the whole movement.

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
What is a good set of bands to always have around, and what specific reason for each band ? Price wise and quantity

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic