Latest Member
pbtom

Rheta West 625lb squat at 145lbs bodyweight

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
1157446_647876568557293_1142952362_n.jpg

Continuing the streak of world record setting half squats that began with Hoff at 1210... Rheta West got whites for this mile high squat...

The best part is when you got to IPA's website to read the rules on how they judge depth, the rules are broken into several pages. The squat rules are found on page two.

http://www.ipapower.com/rules.html

Try and find them... I dare you.

When you click for page two, you get a 404 error message.

If this is how federations are going to try and gain notoriety, its going to damage powerlifting. Federations like RPS are growing and growing because of their strict judging and lifters getting sick of terrible calls like the one above.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I understand the depth issue. BUT, you can't forget that it is extremely hard to get much lower than that in multi ply gear.

Dave was probably wearing 4 ply squat briefs, and add to that the canvas suit and extremely tight knee wraps, and the pressure becomes ridiculous and the lifter has no idea of where they are depth wise because of the pressure.

Single ply dead lift suit felt like I was gonna break in half so I can't imagine over 5 ply in a squat suit.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I understand the depth issue. BUT, you can't forget that it is extremely hard to get much lower than that in multi ply gear.

Dave was probably wearing 4 ply squat briefs, and add to that the canvas suit and extremely tight knee wraps, and the pressure becomes ridiculous and the lifter has no idea of where they are depth wise because of the pressure.

Single ply dead lift suit felt like I was gonna break in half so I can't imagine over 5 ply in a squat suit.

Did you really just suggest that it's ok because of the equipment? Well hell Turbo I guess I'll just don 8 pairs of briefs under 3 squat suits with 15 erector shirts on... Dip an inch and I should get whites right?

If you don't hit depth because of the gear, buy looser gear!!!!

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
If you don't hit depth because of the gear, buy looser gear!!!!

I think that's the best answer, BUT if lifters get looser gear the numbers will drop.

I'm kinda starting to loose my interest in multi ply lifting, and geared lifting in general.

I don't think I have any desire to train or compete in a bench shirt for a long time.

But I am tired of seeing all the bashing going on. If you check FB its really bad.

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
I feel it's the same with the benching...locking out doesn't seem to matter anymore.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think that's the best answer, BUT if lifters get looser gear the numbers will drop.

Better to have numbers drop than allow for bad calls to take place. I don't care how someone lifts equipped or raw, just perform the lift correctly and to the range of motion that is required by the rules.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

I'm kinda starting to loose my interest in multi ply lifting, and geared lifting in general.

I don't think I have any desire to train or compete in a bench shirt for a long time.

But I am tired of seeing all the bashing going on. If you check FB its really bad.

I never bash geared lifting. Ever. Read what I wrote and read my posts. I will bash shitty judging though. If the weights go down, the weights go down.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I feel it's the same with the benching...locking out doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Right on. The soft starts too. Every bencher should be required to train like metal militia - with a hold at lockout for 5 seconds before racking it

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Right on. The soft starts too. Every bencher should be required to train like metal militia - with a hold at lockout for 5 seconds before racking it

Personally, I don't think a 5 second pause at the top is necessary but if that was the rules than that would be the rules.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I never bash geared lifting. Ever. Read what I wrote and read my posts. I will bash shitty judging though. If the weights go down, the weights go down.

Haha. I know your not. I'm talking about on FB and in general.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound like it was directed at anyone.

I just log onto FB and see a ton of negative posts being made. Same with watching the videos on youtube.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I'm talking about on FB and in general.
I just log onto FB and see a ton of negative posts being made. Same with watching the videos on youtube.

Dude, waaaaaaayyy too much time on your hands. Go ride a bike and chase a butterfly, you'll feel revived.

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
Yes I agree that it's going to ruin the sport. Anyway shut up and go lift!! Lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic