Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Rheta West 625lb squat at 145lbs bodyweight

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Federations like RPS are growing and growing because of their strict judging and lifters getting sick of terrible calls like the one above.[/QUOTE]

I'm lifting in the RPS for this very reason. In some feds around me a lot of what you get away with depends on the team you are with if you show up with a college lifting team that has brought 30 people to the meet all of a sudden everyone of them get white lights? They want that team to keep coming back and dropping $5k on entry fees so they get special treatment... or the local guys get to squat a few inches high... it's bullshit. I don't really care what is considered depth as long as it's the same for everyone, thats why I like RPS... Gene doesn't pull that shit. I can show up by myself and get treated like everyone else.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I don't really care what is considered depth as long as it's the same for everyone, thats why I like RPS... Gene doesn't pull that shit. I can show up by myself and get treated like everyone else.

I'm liking RPS more and more because of statements like this.

F

flpl88

May 31, 2013
I'm not knocking geared lifting because you still have to be very strong to put up huge numbers. I train with a guy whos put up over 1100 in multi and over 1k in single. He could still squat 700 raw.

Personally I could never see myself doing it. I see these guys train and it seems like a lot of the times they miss a bench because their shirt was manipulated in the wrong way. Depth is almost impossible to hit unless you're right at your 1RM in full squat gear. There's just too many factors that come in to hand when you add pieces of equipment. You could be strong enough to hit the lift, but if something is off with your gear you're gonna fail. I just don't like that concept.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm not knocking geared lifting because you still have to be very strong to put up huge numbers. I train with a guy whos put up over 1100 in multi and over 1k in single. He could still squat 700 raw.

Personally I could never see myself doing it. I see these guys train and it seems like a lot of the times they miss a bench because their shirt was manipulated in the wrong way. Depth is almost impossible to hit unless you're right at your 1RM in full squat gear. There's just too many factors that come in to hand when you add pieces of equipment. You could be strong enough to hit the lift, but if something is off with your gear you're gonna fail. I just don't like that concept.

That's a good way to put it. I sort of look like equipped PL as its own sport. I've worked in single ply a bunch and it was very much about working the shirt, filling up the suit etc... It's more of a science.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013

Geared lifting is totally different it's much more technical and there's very little room for error. A lot of people think if they go out and buy a multi-ply suit they will squat 200lbs more, thats simply not the case (unless you're some kind of freak) when i first started using Multi-Ply gear my #'s started going down because I was spending all of my time working my setup and dialing in the gear, learning how to squat in a suit is one of the most nerve racking things you'll ever do, if you get out of the groove even a little bit or aren't using enough weight to push you back into the gear you can get slingshotted out of the pocket driving your face into the floor. I wish people didn't even compare raw vs geared. Both are a lot of fun, I sure my raw #'s have suffered from the work I have put into using gear but when I come out of gear my raw #'s are still pretty decent for someone my weight.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Geared lifting is totally different it's much more technical and there's very little room for error. A lot of people think if they go out and buy a multi-ply suit they will squat 200lbs more, thats simply not the case (unless you're some kind of freak) when i first started using Multi-Ply gear my #'s started going down because I was spending all of my time working my setup and dialing in the gear, learning how to squat in a suit is one of the most nerve racking things you'll ever do, if you get out of the groove even a little bit or aren't using enough weight to push you back into the gear you can get slingshotted out of the pocket driving your face into the floor. I wish people didn't even compare raw vs geared. Both are a lot of fun, I sure my raw #'s have suffered from the work I have put into using gear but when I come out of gear my raw #'s are still pretty decent for someone my weight.

Yep... totally agree. I don't get the hate from the raw and single ply guys. And it 's not just this meet, it's been going on for decades.
I've got buddies who drag race. It's a great comparison.
We compete to move weights, they go as fast as they can down the track.
IN drag racing they have a million different classes for fuel, chassis, power adders, etc... and you never hear a pro street guy say that a top fuel guy is cheating because they have different standards. YOU never hear " well, I could go that fast but I feel that a trans brake and methanol are cheating"..... nope.

They compete against their own classes and all support each other just like we should.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Many geared lifters do themselves a disservice by training in their gear too much, I remember listening to a few podcasts a while back (one was Brandon Lilly) and they both said once the meet is over you should train raw for a few months. If you want to truly maximise being as strong as possible in a suit, bench shirt etc then surely you also need to be strong out of it? Strong is strong.

I've competed with big guys (in the 100kg+ class) that struggle to squat 360 raw but then they somehow manage to get 600 or 700 when they're all in their gear. I interpret lifts like that as someone that knows how to get the most out of their equipment, quite different to someone that is 'strong'.

These squats that get passed in official meets are a joke really, if they're going to continually keep rewarding blatantly high squats then soon it will start to be accepted as the norm and lifters won't even bother training with decent depth anymore ~ why would you squat deep if you don't have to? I've bombed out at a meet on squats once, but at least I hit parallel. Now I tend to go ATG, there should leave no doubt in anybody's mind that you nailed that lift!

Rheta needs to climb out of her suit and get back to basics for a while. Just my 2c of course, thanks for reading MF.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I'll just add that I respect geared lifters the same as I do the guys/girls that lift raw. I train with guys that lift equipped (in fact the majority of them do), they train just as hard as any other lifter would.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Geared or raw..makes no difference to me. Poor judging and favoritism Pees me off. If I am awarded three whites I want to know it's because I did the lift correctly. I wouldn't want a lift handed to me cause I was close. I don't want no handouts.

I agree with what was said above. Get gear that allows you to go parallel and practice.

It is called powerlifting for a reason. Using a suit does help when used correctly but...you still need the raw..hard work and power to do the lift correctly. Oh...and when I was competing. We'd not suit up till a few weeks before the meet. And that was only to get use to the suits.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
When Ernie Lilliebridge SR makes a joke about the suit lifting the weight I can laugh about it because he'll be right there to help me get my briefs on and spot when I squat. He even made the trip to the Arnold to handle his *GASP* GEARED TEAMMATE.....

Settle down. It's all just lifting weights. How Me, Rheta, or anyone else competes has absolutely no effect on how you choose to lift. Do what you think is the most fun and respect others who do the same.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
You guys need to watch Jeff Franks 1100 pound multi ply squat from the Arnold. That squat would have passed in a raw federation.

I love multi ply. If I had a team to train with I'd probably put the bench shirt back on during max out weeks or heavier weeks.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic