Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Reverse grip bench

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
First off KBD, 225 is WAY to much to be doing reverse bench with, no wonder you don't like the way it feels, also it is a matter of opinion, I could say squats were retarded which in a way i think they are, wait till you get older and your back is fucked up from doing heavy squats. MuscleEgg, my elbows came down to where the bar was about 4-6 inches off my chest.

No need to get all pissed off, damn.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
so i did these again today because of this thread. i always go light for the reasons that Hanni states. i let the bar go to my boobs which for most of you guys would be about 4 inches or so :D i supersetted them with guillotine bench, once again it was very light but the pump and burn was great! will post a vid in my log when i get a chance.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I've been doing these for awhile now and also an Incline reverse grip. Gotta say even though it feels odd going so light it sure is making my upper inner chest exploded, which has been a big problem area for me over the years.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I've been doing these for awhile now and also an Incline reverse grip. Gotta say even though it feels odd going so light it sure is making my upper inner chest exploded, which has been a big problem area for me over the years.
What percentage of your normal bench would you recommend for these?

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
No need to get all pissed off, damn.

Not pissed at all there brother, some people like them some don't, I introduced a guy to them yesterday and he LOVED them.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
ok hanni... let me get this straight... you DON'T touch the bar to your chest?

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Mar 31, 2011
I use to do these all the time. Had a slight scare where I almost dumped the weight on my face and haven't done it since. Might have to throw them back in. It definitely hit the upper chest more than a traditional bench press, but for me it absolutely hammers the tri's and front delts.

Be careful starting off as it's an awkward exercise at first. I've gone up to 315 with these, so you definitely don't have to stay light with them. Just be careful and always have a spotter. You'll need a spotter just for unracking heavy weights.

And touch your chest at the bottom. The long ROM is part of what makes this a great exercise in my opinion.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
It hit more tri's and anterior delts for me....did not feel good on my wrists tho.

^^^ me too. No way in hell it works my upper pecs better than barbell incline presses.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
Why not give it a try with dumbbells guys, this is a great exercise just a bit awkward in the beginning.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
If you try the motion you can feel how it will hit your upper pecs, puts my wrists in too much of a comprimising position even with light weight, just don't like the way they feel on my wrists and elbows, but that is me, not saying not to give them a try.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I have been doing these for about 2 months, except I do them with DBs, which IMO alleviates the wrist issue that others complained about. I also do them on an incline. One thing I really like about them is that I feel absolutely nothing in my shoulders; the move hits the targeted pec muscles perfectly. I also get a better ROM with DBs. As others noted, a lot of weight is not needed with this exercise. I typically use 70s or 80s for high reps of 15-20. After 4-5 sets, my chest is pumped. After a couple of months, I can see some increased development. This has turned into one of my favorite exercises.

If you haven't tried these, or you've just done them with barbell, you might want to give dumbbells a try.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic