Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Returning from a Deload

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
My sleeps always kinda crappy but my jobs pretty flexible so I get to nap whenever I want pretty much... I get my calories in I'm not the cleanest eater and I'd much rather be over than under calorie wise so I don't think that's the issue...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
thats what I was expecting after this last deload but seems the opposite, I'm weak as hell.. I think I just pushed to hard for to long until I couldn't take it anymore, I suspect if I plan for it and don't let myself crash so hard maybe I could come back stronger... I will always plan a deload from now on..

That's why I have scheduled recovery weeks in my programming.... to not get to far gone so as not to be able to recover. For me it's every 4 weeks but I know some who schedule it every 6 weeks.

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
How much do you guys drop the weight on a deload? I usually drop to about 70% of my training max and belt out some sets there and gradually work my way back up to some rep prs in about 4 weeks. Am I doing it right?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This is just me but I don't go above 60% on a recovery week.... for me it's about recovery so the weight should be very light so I can recover, work on technique (because that never stops), and work on speed.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
This is just me but I don't go above 60% on a recovery week.... for me it's about recovery so the weight should be very light so I can recover, work on technique (because that never stops), and work on speed.
Ya I should of been doing that but just after a week I found myself forgetting things that we're second nature just a week before... When ur in the groove you forget how technical it can be you just move... I don't want to lose that grove when I find it again...

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A deload is different depending on why I am doing it.

I do planned deloads where I'll purposely back off to give my CNS a break...... these weeks ( and it's a full 7 day week) are spent still doing the classic lifts but nothing heavier than 2 plates for reps.... that's around 250 on a mastodon bar for a ~1000 pound squatter. On the westside system I'd take one of these after a circa max cycle...... or just if I'm fried.

I'll also deload if I'm getting bad joint pain or tweaks.... not sleeping from stress etc...... for a deload like this I go full bodybuilding mode and just do high rep sets. Lots of machines and dumbbells but I'll never put a bar in my hands or on my back.... lots of miles put in pulling a weight sled etc..... just flushing the body out.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Ya I should of been doing that but just after a week I found myself forgetting things that we're second nature just a week before... When ur in the groove you forget how technical it can be you just move... I don't want to lose that grove when I find it again...

This is so true bro. If you don't pay attention to the small things, it happens very easily!

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I don't deload, full force always :)

I just got done reading some articles about john broz a world champion and oly coach in Vegas he believes in training 7 days a week and a couple sessions a day at max effort everyday... Guess that's the Bulgarian way of doing it...
hes got some impressive athletes that I've seen several YouTube videos of in the past but didn't really know much about how these guys have trained.. Not to many folks would agree with this kind of training but it seems to work for him and his crew...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I just got done reading some articles about john broz a world champion and oly coach in Vegas he believes in training 7 days a week and a couple sessions a day at max effort everyday... Guess that's the Bulgarian way of doing it...
hes got some impressive athletes that I've seen several YouTube videos of in the past but didn't really know much about how these guys have trained.. Not to many folks would agree with this kind of training but it seems to work for him and his crew...

Broz didn't win Worlds in Oly lifting. He's won Nat's as a master level lifter but he never won worlds. You also have to remember that the Bulgarians coach went through hundreds of lifters to get his team of 13. It's not a smart way to train but he took his country from last to first in a decade..... but look at what it cost the lifters. Ivan A. (the coach) didn't care what he did to his lifters, he only cared about winning and making a name for himself.

Broz also hasn't coached anyone who's done anything big. Pat just got back from being banned for PED's. Pat hit big lifts in the gym but never hit those numbers on the platform during a meet. It would seem they couldn't time his PED so he would pass the test and still keep those strength gains.... he's strong as **** but look at what he did on the platform.... I think his biggest snatch was 175kg and not 200+kg and his biggest C&J was something aroun 190kg and not 230kg.

Now, all this aside the Bulgarian method will get your strong but the reality is it will also cripple you. Remember I've had the pleasure of training with many top Oly lifters. I've even trained at Broz's spot in Vegas (in his office). I watched him make a kid try to squat 200kg (440lbs) 3 times and fail each time. Broz told him he would be kicked out if he didn't make it. That kid literally almost got severely injured b/c he wasn't strong enough to hit it at the time.... he barely made 185kg (405 or thereabouts).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

That's why I continue to perform the big 3.... so I can keep working technique b/c that's something I can always improve on. For me usually I take 50% weight wise so it's incredibly light and make sure to perform everything perfectly.... reinforcing perfect technique.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
That's why I continue to perform the big 3.... so I can keep working technique b/c that's something I can always improve on. For me usually I take 50% weight wise so it's incredibly light and make sure to perform everything perfectly.... reinforcing perfect technique.

Do you use max speed when lifting 50% load?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic