Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Restarting on a new life style

mojd80

mojd80

Dec 26, 2011
I am now in a mind set to lose the weight I wanted to a year or so ago. Today's dr appt told me I was fine on the BP and cholesterol levels, gotta take a sugar test as family has diabetes history, weight was 285 and height was 5'9". I plan on doing cardio every day and some weight lifting for upper body every other day. I have heard I need to take in more water when dieting but what is the right amount? Also I have a smart phone but not iPhone or Android, mine's a Windows phone. Does anyone know any good calorie counting apps?

Thanks guys I plan on being here more often to learn new tricks and get my act together. Posted a couple pics in before and after but mine were before and current. I hope to get back to 190lbs. Oh I am going to be 50 in May so I know it'll be hard but can be done! Thanks for any help I get on this journey!!

Rod crowley

Rod crowley

Dec 1, 2012
As for the water.8 eight ounce glasses daily.i can relate to this as im starting anew.Im an avid weight lifter but as im approaching 50...ive had to change my life style drastically.Low carb and hibh protien.good luck.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
There is an app called "lose it" for android and iPhone, not sure if it's on windows or not. Shouldn't be hard to find one.

Even without one just use the notepad app in the phone or old school with pen and paper.

There are a few people around here that are experience with weight loss and able to help you with your quest. My advice to you is to read and learn as much as you can, regular doctors visits for check ins, and set attainable short/mid/long term goals for yourself. Keep on track and don't give up. It's easy to get sidetracked so keep focused and log your weight, diet, and exercises.

Water is important regardless of any diet. Carry a water bottle with you always, skip the soda. Get mio or crystal light packets if you need flavor, but drink lots of water. Besides the benefits of hydration, it can curb appetite as well which may help you diet.

We're here to help, let us know if you have any questions. Look forward to your progress.

K

ksbst9mm

Dec 14, 2012
good luck man!! lots and lots of water!!

P

PEZ

Nov 21, 2011
Dude, One thing is you gotta like veggies. I do and I dont (picky). Walmart and GFS sell frozen yellow squash (almost all fiber) and you can just bust it out, toss it in a steamer bag in the microwave and season it along with our protein source (or me now I've been eating 12 oz Swai (cheaper than Tilapia) and maybe an orange. Another cool thing is weigh your carbs (I found 1 serving of oatmeal is a 5 oz dixie cup (almost dead on) so to low carb it use a half that cup in with a little less than 2 mins in the microonda and mix in 2 scoops of muscle milk. That gets me thru a 12 hr nursing shift. If not I have a Quest Bar (fart bars as they are more commonly known after dropping a few bombs in medication room at work and freaking out the women I work with.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
Try "Calorie Counter" by Fat Secret... or "MyFitnessPal"...
I've used both! Currently using "MyNetDiary" as it also can track my blood sugars.

Let me know what your blood sugar results are when you do test bud.
No sweat starting at 50, been there done that.

Greg

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
^^^ I agree, myfitnesspal, is a good site and app for tracking calories. Its food database has nearly every food possible.

I think its great you've decided to get back in shape and lose some weight. If you got a little extra cash to throw around, I would hire a good online trainer like shelby starnes. He will be able to get you to point A to B a lot faster and effectively if you follow his advice.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
Also, check out "Dlife.com" for low carb and ultra low carb meals!

Greg

mojd80

mojd80

Dec 26, 2011
Thanks guys for the input, I appreciate it. Greg my BS level was high, but not diabetic, though I have a family history of it and my younger sister is fighting it now. In Jan 2011 it was 99, my last test, 12/12 was 122. This is another reason I have been trying to cut back and exercise more!!

mojd80

mojd80

Dec 26, 2011
As for drinking I have been drinking about a pot of coffee and water with lemon or lime juice added. The coffee is actually a pot less than I was drinking 2 years ago AND I have now been told I have ADHD and taking 20mg of concerta for that, according to my Dr I was self medicating with coffee (caffeine). About veggies, I did the Joel Fuhrman "lifestyle" change, which is all veggies for the first 6 weeks, so I still take in a bunch of veggies. One of my problems is my wife and daughter. Wife weighs 105 and eats junk food which is always in the house and kills me! Doritos, cookies and ice cream are always there and are 3 of my major weaknesses. I try to stick to the fruits or nuts for snacking but they are right next to the chips and cookies, makes it tough!! Daughter is a vegan, mostly, so half the time I think the food in the fridge is mine and it's hers so I don't eat it thinking it's hers and end up throwing it out because it was bought for me but no one told me. Tough here sometimes. Okay next problem, I work as a 911 dispatcher. We only have 1 person on per shift and no breaks for dinner. I work 4-12 and find it hard to run to the bathroom when I am answering the radio or phones all the time, so I basically only drink 2 glasses of water during the 8 hours I am there so I don't need the bathroom as much. Finances won't allow additional personnel and it's hard to make cops, firefighters and medics understand you didn't answer their radio right away because you were in the bathroom. They call out that they're out of service so they can go or have a dinner break but we don't get that luxury. Sorry just some of the problems I am trying to deal with.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks guys for the input, I appreciate it. Greg my BS level was high, but not diabetic, though I have a family history of it and my younger sister is fighting it now. In Jan 2011 it was 99, my last test, 12/12 was 122. This is another reason I have been trying to cut back and exercise more!!

122 is not terrible... it's the trend though to watch... better to adapt now than later bro.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
"Sorry just some of the problems I am trying to deal with."

Don't be sorry, this is all stuff that affects your health!
The stress alone from work/home is killer on a guy... Vent away!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic