Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Rest Intervals

HardManifest

HardManifest

MuscleHead
Nov 21, 2022
Before posting I tried to search to see what folks are doing with rest intervals. What rest intervals do you find works best for you and you see the results by following that schedule? I average about 90- 140 minutes depending how much energy I have for weight training. When I have carbs two-three hours prior to training I tend to be able to extend my time. Some of you have been training your whole life. I just started in 2018.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I do not really have a set time between feeders or warm ups, but I would guess around a minute between, because I can finish all my warm up sets (4) over a 5-6 minutes song on my playlist. I do a lot of rest pause training and I take 15 deep breaths between those working sets (3), which comes out to around 30 seconds depending on what I am doing. If I am doing an exercise that takes my breath away, those 15 breaths come fast. I will also do muscle rounds for working sets which are 5-6 deep breaths between working sets (5). My chest, back and shoulders day takes me 75 minutes, leg day takes around 60-65 minutes and arms/traps around 50 minutes. That includes DC stretching, which takes a couple minutes per body part.

HardManifest

HardManifest

MuscleHead
Nov 21, 2022
thanks. How many days per week do you rest?

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
thanks. How many days per week do you rest?
It depends. My old gym split while on TRT was MWF, but that was when I was doing a two day split chest/back/shoulders and legs/arms. It would look like, M - chest/back/shoulders, W - legs/arms, F - chest/back/shoulders, M - legs/arms, W - chest/back/shoulders, F - legs/arms, so you would train each body part 3 times in 2 weeks. However, my arms were not growing with the rest of my body. I changed it recently to, M - chest/back/shoulders, T - arms/traps, W - legs, F - chest/back/shoulders, S - arms/traps, M - legs, W - chest/back/shoulders, Th - arms/traps, F - legs. Now my arms do not have to compete with legs in the first 24 hours of recovery.

When I am on blast it is M - chest/back/shoulders, T - legs/arms, Th - chest/back/shoulders, F - legs/arms. I adjust the intensity as needed.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I also do cardio every day. On days I am not in the gym, I usually do cardio twice a day. These are not hard cardio sessions. Either 20-30 minutes of steady state cardio or 15 minutes of HIIT.

HardManifest

HardManifest

MuscleHead
Nov 21, 2022
thanks bro. I highly value your input.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
We are at similar points. My training age is at most four years. I don't lift exclusively and have an equal amount of aerobic/anaerobic conditioning. Monday (Pull) and Thursday (Push) are true lifting days, with Tuesday and Fridays being MAPS training. I take Wed, Sat, and Sun off. Intra-workout rest (lifting days) varies but declines as it progresses. For example, the first superset has 2:00 rest between sets, then bumps down to 1:30 the next superset, and finally 1:00 the last superset (the heavier, more complex motions are at the start of the workout). I was just given Cleans (with Squats) for the first time ever about 1.5 months ago, and they are an evolution for me. They absolutely fry me, and I'm not even doing anything heavy. Very complicated motion for me, and I've had a tough time adapting to the new stress. I've had some Tuesdays where I've just not recovered well enough and bump every day ahead by one. It's really put pressure on my sleep quality, but I am finally starting to be able to tread water. Total workout times average around 1.5-2 hours. I usually eat a cup of rice about two hours before I know I'll be hitting my first working set and sometimes I'll down a tablespoon of honey if I want to make sure I have no fuel issues... but it's been a long time since I've run empty. Maybe one day I'll be able to add more, but for now, this has done me well enough. I just turned 50 and look pretty good for my age... not so much compared to anyone here but definitely held against the general population.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
thanks bro. I highly value your input.
No problem brother. That is what we are here for. By no means do I have it all figured out. I learn every fucking day in this lifestyle. There is always something I could be doing better, be it drugs, diet, training, etc... My biceps have always been a weak point for me, mainly because I am a guy who is always focused on progressive overload. I started following Mike Van Wyck on YouTube. Stopped training like an asshole and took some of his advice (at least for biceps and triceps). My biceps not only started to grow, but my bicep strength went through the roof. Weight I was struggling cheat and swing up before I was doing with strict form and slow tempo with ease.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
For a lot of older folks (that's me!), when you hit somewhere between 50 and 55 years old, switching your workout up so that you're working one body part per day seems optimal. Blast the crap out of that body part if your body allows. I rarely work 2 body parts in a day, but then again, the one body part a day thing means I'm in the gym pretty much every day and that's not feasible for a lot of people. I noticed it made a BIG difference with me, and it's also made a big difference for other people in that age range who I have suggested it to. I do cardio 3-4 times per week, medium intensity, 35 minutes each. I view cardio as somewhat optional, but I've been really good on the cardio for a couple years now. As I aged my recovery time definitely increased, and one body part a day allows for adequate recovery time before I hit it again.

HardManifest

HardManifest

MuscleHead
Nov 21, 2022
Since I started to train my Cardio has been low volume. Maybe 2x per week. When I do, it's 15 minutes on the stair master average HR 135-140, and the other is the elliptical for maximum 25 minutes HR 135-155. From the sound of it Cardio is an essential part, so I will add more days for it. thanks bro. Tomorrow I'll spend time on the lats, squads, and shoulders, then cardio.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I train weights 2-3 times a week and Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu 2-3 times a week. They are so different on the body but I get at least 2 days rest. It is a bear to do Martial arts the day after leg day so I try to plan a rest after that. Ever been leg kicked the day after squats? Oh it ain't fun my friend, I mean it is never fun but it is way worse when sore.

I always do a minimum of 20 minutes cardio on weight days. Like GF either steady or HIIT. When I do HIIT I like to keep my HR at 10% of my max. Bros, cardio climber is a full body banger of a cardio machine. I can get my HR up to 165 in two minutes. I only do this 1-2 times a week.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic