Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Rest days

H

hypertrophyshakra

Dec 18, 2022
I'm looking for opinions on rest. Has anyone taken the advice of Dorian Yates and tried the Monday Wednesday Friday split? Please share what works best for you. Just trying to get a few ideas

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I do a 4 day split.
Day 1 chest & bis
Day 2 legs
Day 3 delts & tris
Day 4 back & traps.
I take test days as needed or when life dictates it but I atleast get 4 days in the gym per week. I try to get 5 most of the time & 6 if possible.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I was doing a MWF DC training split for a couple years. I changed it up a bit, because my arms were not growing the way I wanted them to. Mainly, because they were competing with legs for recovery. Here is how it went.

Workout 1 - Chest, back and shoulders
Workout 2 - Legs and arms

It would be M - W1, W - W2, F - W1, M - W2, W - W1 and F - W2, so you are training each body part 3 times over 2 weeks.

The thing with DC training, Mentzer's HIT or Dorian's training, is if you don't know how to train to failure or if you like a lot of junk volume, which is pretty much anything other than the primary movement for that body part that day, then you should find a different plan. However, if you can stick to their plans and make that working set count, you can pack on a lot of mass.

HardManifest

HardManifest

MuscleHead
Nov 21, 2022
Throw in cardio and abdominal. I do the elliptical with a steady heart rate avg 130-150 then find an abdominal bench for the grand finale.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Throw in cardio and abdominal. I do the elliptical with a steady heart rate avg 130-150 then find an abdominal bench for the grand finale.
Yep. I never put it in my program when people ask what I do, but I train abs every day I am not training another body part and cardio is every day regardless, even when bulking. The cardio is just less intense or shorter duration when bulking.

H

hypertrophyshakra

Dec 18, 2022
Thanks for the advice. Ive always heard not to train abs because it will make your mid section thick. And they get enough work during everything else. But like everything else it's not always cut and dry, they're are exceptions

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Thanks for the advice. Ive always heard not to train abs because it will make your mid section thick. And they get enough work during everything else. But like everything else it's not always cut and dry, they're are exceptions
U don’t need to use heavy resistance. Just enough to keep your core strong. Especially if doing low back work. If core isn’t strong also can lead to back issues.

As far as rest, I depends on your intensity really. If your training to failure you’re going to need more rest. Just need to pay attention to what your body is telling u. If want to workout 7 days a week U can but will most likely need a deload where u take a week off here and there. I workout 4 days a week for around 45-60min. I rarely need a deload. Main thing is if your strength starts to go down or stall for a few weeks it’s probably time for a break/deload/switch to pump work for a week or two.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
U don’t need to use heavy resistance. Just enough to keep your core strong. Especially if doing low back work. If core isn’t strong also can lead to back issues.

As far as rest, I depends on your intensity really. If your training to failure you’re going to need more rest. Just need to pay attention to what your body is telling u. If want to workout 7 days a week U can but will most likely need a deload where u take a week off here and there. I workout 4 days a week for around 45-60min. I rarely need a deload. Main thing is if your strength starts to go down or stall for a few weeks it’s probably time for a break/deload/switch to pump work for a week or two.
Exactly. I didn't mention deloads, but if you end up doing the high intensity MWF splits you will end up with a lot of deload weeks. Usually, no more than 8 weeks blasting at a time before you need to deload and your deload is dependent on your own recovery. Some guys can go in and just train without intensity for a week or two then go back to blasting away. Others have to completely stay out of the gym for a week or two. While others might need 3-4 weeks of low intensity training to recover.

H

hypertrophyshakra

Dec 18, 2022

Ok like how you said pump work, let me just ask, How do you feel about cycling feeder workouts for biceps and triceps. ? Have you done this and if so what's your experience?

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Ok like how you said pump work, let me just ask, How do you feel about cycling feeder workouts for biceps and triceps. ? Have you done this and if so what's your experience?
Yeah, feeder workouts is basically pump work. Week of light weight high reps during your deload. I can’t say I have done true feeder workouts for my bis and tris where u work then out the next day after compound movements but when I was focusing more on my arms and would add an arm day. I would warm them up with a couple feeder sets then go heavy with some preacher curls then finish with more feeder sets to get more blood in there and get some occlusion. I really like 21s for biceps with an easy curl bar to end with. I would rotate bis and tris during the workout and worked really well for me. Don’t forget to do some kind of overhead extension for tris. It hits the long or short head more than when doing dips or cable push downs. I forget which heads are hit more for the different exercise but know u need to do both.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
THIS thread is great. Still relatively new, relatively few participants so far, thought provoking training discussion ... and only some aspect of bodybuilding discussion ... so far. ;)

H

hypertrophyshakra

Dec 18, 2022
Yeah, feeder workouts is basically pump work. Week of light weight high reps during your deload. I can’t say I have done true feeder workouts for my bis and tris where u work then out the next day after compound movements but when I was focusing more on my arms and would add an arm day. I would warm them up with a couple feeder sets then go heavy with some preacher curls then finish with more feeder sets to get more blood in there and get some occlusion. I really like 21s for biceps with an easy curl bar to end with. I would rotate bis and tris during the workout and worked really well for me. Don’t forget to do some kind of overhead extension for tris. It hits the long or short head more than when doing dips or cable push downs. I forget which heads are hit more for the different exercise but know u need to do both.
That's awesome advice, I've learned that in general blasting bis and tries together really pushes the blood into both better than working them separately. I personally believe in do everything in cycles so you don't get used to one thing and stop responding. Mainly we all want big freakzilla arms and that definitely adds size. I've heard some people say the like triceps first followed by biceps because it equals a bigger pump. But I'm not sure it's that big of a deal.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic