Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Rest between sets

MrBear

MrBear

Nov 27, 2017
How long of a rest so you all take between sets on your core lifts? For maximal hypertrophy studies show you need to take 3-5 minutes between sets. However I have read some powerlifting protocols that call for an 8 minute break.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
There is no standard set time limit for resting. A lot of that depends on the condition of the athlete. Become more conditioned and you'll find you need less time. Those less conditioned will need more time. For me anything over 5 min is a waste. I'm as recovered/rested/prepared as I need to be and I take that long of a break on only near maximal lifts.

On my speed work, I never take more then a min and many times take around 45sec. On hypertrophy work, I like to keep it near 1min 30sec, etc... Max effort work is over around 4-5min rest. It's very individualized though.

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
There would be no "set standard", It would depend on the condition of the athlete,, better the shape the less rest you need.
When I was bench only, I did alot of sets with 1-1/2 minutes rest between sets. Now I take my time, in full power. Speed work I use 45 seconds as a general rule for me. Heavy sets every bit of 5-7 minutes but I am old and weak now

MrBear

MrBear

Nov 27, 2017
There would be no "set standard", It would depend on the condition of the athlete,, better the shape the less rest you need.
When I was bench only, I did alot of sets with 1-1/2 minutes rest between sets. Now I take my time, in full power. Speed work I use 45 seconds as a general rule for me. Heavy sets every bit of 5-7 minutes but I am old and weak now
Thanks fellas

U

UnimatrixZero

Nov 8, 2017
I only rest as long as I need to. I generally feel well recovered after about 45 seconds of rest. I still try to rest amd move around for at least a minute, and up to 3 if I'm not under any time constraints.

BIGBACH

BIGBACH

Feb 4, 2018
How long of a rest so you all take between sets on your core lifts? For maximal hypertrophy studies show you need to take 3-5 minutes between sets. However I have read some powerlifting protocols that call for an 8 minute break.[/QUO
It all depends on how much weight you are using and if you have a upcoming meet. Some meets you have a avg of 10 min between lifts due to the amount of lifters. On avg my work sets up to 90% I give 3-5, ANY HIGHER closer to 8

P

Physiqz

Jan 9, 2018
I think you should rest as long as required to fully recover for the next set. Johnnie candito says sometimes he will wait 10+ minutes to hit a set if he feels like it is necessary

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic