Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Respect to Strongmen/Strongwomen

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Well I was helpin my moms today.
She wanted to build a rock wall along her dog runs. So we went and filled up the back of my truck with several large stones anywhere from 70 to 150 lbs.
No biggie.
We got back with the rocks and she wanted this one rock by her old garden moved. It was a large flat rock about 10 inches thick.
It was probably close to 3 feet in length and about 1 foot in a half the other way.

So I got it on its edge and it had to way right around 350lbs Im guessing. So I squatted down bear hugged and picked it up and put it in the wheel barrow, now let me stop...on a bad day I can still deadlift low 6's on a good close to 700.
This rock was close to 1/2 that but it wasnt a bar and it was all I could to get that thing up and into the wheel barrow, reminded me of the Ayers stone walk that strongmen competitors do or the Atlas stones. Most guys make it once down and 1/2 way back with the Ayers stone...I wouldnt have made it 15 feet.
Functional strength like that is incredible it takes a lot of synergy with all those muscles working at one time, and a bar would have made that rock seem like a peice of cake.
It takes specific training using those elements in their raw manner to really become proficient at doing it.
This is nothing that I hadnt realized or said before, but its been a long time since I had to perform a task like that myself and needless to say that shit was tough.
Koudos to these athletes, incredible to say the least.
Bodybuilding has certainly made me stronger in one dimension but that kind of functional strength comes from lifting more than just weights.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks adjos! I have all the respect in the world for bodybuilders, but functional strength is very handy, I do admit.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Good post and hell yea, Whole different ball game there.

I like the bodybuilders but the strong-men like Eric-poundstone are my favorites, and the StrongGirls!

Last edited:
fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Word, AJ. What I do for work has me dealing with a lot of heavy machinery and objects. I'm always thinking "if this thing just had a fucking handle like a dumbbell...."

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
My post about grip power was essentially about functional streghtn. If all you care about is the amount you can lift in a particular exersize, what good are you when you leave the gym.

tilltheend

tilltheend

MuscleHead
Nov 22, 2011
Much respect to these athletes it is a physically demanding sport. I would love to get into it, I think I could really excel at it.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Much respect to these athletes it is a physically demanding sport. I would love to get into it, I think I could really excel at it.
Anything we can do to help, please ask. There are strongman groups all over the place.

airagee23

airagee23

MuscleHead
Dec 27, 2010
Yeah I have alot of respect for them. Its such a great sport and to see it in person is jaw dropping.

AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

MuscleHead
Jan 5, 2011
Good to see the respect. You Derek Poundstone can literally move refridgerators, washers, and driers by himself (not to mention role a frying pan). Amazing stuff.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
lol AXE we women move that stuff ...........just sayin

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic