Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Reprogramming for longevity in the gym!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
At pretty close to 60 with over 40 years of lifting and dedicated to enjoying many more, I am here to share and learn more.

About 3 years ago I noticed my age group falling off mostly due to chronic pain. Here is what I did: despite huge battles with my ego, I 'detrained' my muscles to flourish using about 2/3 (max) the amount of weight I could manage, but for how much longer!

I've been natural for 3 years and its a give take. I have less inflammation eating gluten free and not using AAS. the flip side is my size and of course recovery. I want to run another cycle but that is another thread altogether.

Currently I am pushing and pulling about 1/2 the weight I probably could. Rep speed, pausing and gently locking out and squeezing each rep.

Anyone?

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I am a bit younger in the 50 age group. I poked my ego like a balloon..last year..no less than 8 reps and super slow training . I started feeling like I was tearing muscle instead of stimulating it.
Was always a 4 to 7 rep trainer and go to positive failure...no like said higher rep range slow mo and usually stop a set before failure. Not super happy but better than injury and set backs.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Not as old, but about 2 years ago I made a drastic change from the mindset of trying to get a PR every time I went to the gym to getting better mind muscle connection and finding ways to increase intensity without adding weight to the bar. Does it suck sometimes when I look back at my log that I have kept since 2004 and see some of my workouts? Absolutely, but you get to a point where it is no longer safe to keep pushing.

I actually still do DC style training, but instead of always increasing the weight to beat the log book I increase the reps. I will not move up in weight until I can perform at least 15 perfect reps in a straight set for an exercise and most of the time I don't move up in weight until I hit 20 reps. Before I would move up as soon as I hit 10 good reps.

I also take a lot more deloads weeks than I used to. I remember going 6 months in between deloads. Now I won't go more than 8 weeks.

Sometimes I will switch to Fortitude training for bit. I like muscle rounds for intensity, as they are safe, effective and easy on the joints. It is almost like a deload from DC, but not exactly.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
My uncle was a competitor in the late 80s & 90s. He had been on and off infrequently but the last 10 years was doing his cycles that included GH and slin. He had a stroke @63 (i think), but he recovered quick immediately after the stroke but he may have gotten over confident and was not taking it easy and then fell in the shower. He realized he wasn't out of the woods and am glad he is off the gear with that decision.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I'm 52 and have 30yrs of Heavy work at least 4days a week. At 45 I was still Front squatting 350 Oly style with a 600lb deadlift (strapped). BUT......I was on a shit ton of gear and on borrowed time.

I now train ridiculously light (compared to then) and it's 5sets of 15reps Upper Body and Lower split. (105lbs)
I use 2 x bodyweight for Lower (210lbs) I also only run 100mg/wk of Test Cyp.

I'm all grip no straps or assistive devices and the reps are dynamic but strict. I'm old enough now to feel the muscles work and not need to heave big stuff to get worked.

That said I still keep under 15% BF and carry 210lbs real well at 5'7" (lost an inch of height over then last 10yrs lol)

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
At pretty close to 60 with over 40 years of lifting and dedicated to enjoying many more, I am here to share and learn more.

About 3 years ago I noticed my age group falling off mostly due to chronic pain. Here is what I did: despite huge battles with my ego, I 'detrained' my muscles to flourish using about 2/3 (max) the amount of weight I could manage, but for how much longer!

I've been natural for 3 years and its a give take. I have less inflammation eating gluten free and not using AAS. the flip side is my size and of course recovery. I want to run another cycle but that is another thread altogether.

Currently I am pushing and pulling about 1/2 the weight I probably could. Rep speed, pausing and gently locking out and squeezing each rep.

Anyone?
Good to see you back bro. Im very close in age and lifting years as you. I lift extremely light these days as well with slow, strict form and feeling the muscle burn.
Some days i get a bug up my ass to lift heavy and it never ends well. The shoulder pain just isn't worth it. Have 3 herniated discs which limits a lot of lower body work as well. I'm TRT only for a while now, although i will throw in var once or twice a year. I do 1 body part per workout and in and out in no more than 45 minutes.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010

Anyone?

Glad to see you back again. I’ve transitioned as well from lifting heavy and going for PR to higher reps and feeling a more intense mind to muscle connection.

How’s your cardio training going?
Ive been focusing on cardio much more these days then in the past. It helped, my endurance improved significantly since incorporating cardio about 5 days a week.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I'm 48 and doing more cardio than I ever did. I plan to actually come off cycle at least 1x year not bridging ot TRT. Also adopting to more of low volume/high frequency/high intensity which doesnt permit super heavy weights as if training 1x week bro split.
Carbs are lower in general more healthy fats and overall more active and make great effort to improve sleep quality.
Iwan to look muscular and healthy into my 70s and 80s.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I'm 52 and have 30yrs of Heavy work at least 4days a week. At 45 I was still Front squatting 350 Oly style with a 600lb deadlift (strapped). BUT......I was on a shit ton of gear and on borrowed time.

I now train ridiculously light (compared to then) and it's 5sets of 15reps Upper Body and Lower split. (105lbs)
I use 2 x bodyweight for Lower (210lbs) I also only run 100mg/wk of Test Cyp.

I'm all grip no straps or assistive devices and the reps are dynamic but strict. I'm old enough now to feel the muscles work and not need to heave big stuff to get worked.

That said I still keep under 15% BF and carry 210lbs real well at 5'7" (lost an inch of height over then last 10yrs lol)
A true blessing that it was not an inch of length!

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I've made a lot of adjustments to my training and diet over the past few years. Getting older tends to put your mortality on the front burner, which is some good motivation to keep and eye on the fire. I cleaned up my diet and adjusted my training to a lighter version keeping my intensity level high. Focusing on the mind to muscle connection, rather than how much weight I can move. I incorporated more cardio and feel great. I'm actually making better improvements now than I did when my ego was at the wheel.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
I'm right there with you brother. About to hit 61 in a few weeks.

Been lifting easily over 30 years as well. Until my injuries in my mid 50s I was like most, nagging injuries here and there but still lifting pretty heavy.

I had no choice in slowing down. 2 back surgeries and 2 hip surgeries (same hip) in a little less than 4 years left me hurting.

This past year for me has been mostly training body movements and retraining my muscles how to work together again after being dormant for several years from me lying around.

Just recently started using just machines and doing a little old school training but focusing on just controlling the weight and not really going past 90 degrees on anything.

Slowly making some progress finally so trying to not revert back to old training methods and getting hurt again like I've done in the past.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Great thread, CFM.

Similar threads have been popping up here more and more the last few yrs, and I can't get enough. It's mentally difficult transitioning from young stud training to wise old man training, but the inspiration, information, and constant reminders in threads like yours that "Hey, I'm not the only one" makes getting realistic easier on the mind.

Thanks.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic