RalfKelleh
What's New?

Rejected from Blood Donation Today

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
BMJ, same Wilson6 from decades ago. Been looking for a board that has a good mix of men/women's material without the drama, this is a good one. I'll be posting here and there. Had my head into the HRT men/women for the past few years, an area of interest. Some good posts on this board. Hard to find honest experiences of women and PEDs, from their perspective.

Yea Wilson, there aren't too many forums with a good female base these days, at least like we had it in the early 2000's:(

There's a few here, but with your knowledge in this area, i'm sure many will follow, and/or be more active. There's a lot (well, a few at least) of members here at TID that were also on Iron Trybe. Unfortunately, Facebook and social media has sucked the boards dry. I'm on a lot of forums, and this one at least has some females on it posting. I'll send some news out to a few women that you may be back in town ("here and there") and to see if more participation can accumulate:cool:

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
WILSON!!! Holy crap bud, where have you been hanging out at? Haven't seen you since the EF/AF/Iron Trybe days! All we need now is for MS and Warlobo to pop up with spats, sassy, and NubianBeauty, lol:cool:

Well, hope to see more of you...you were one of the few I learned from many years back:)

*** waves***

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Off topic but my local blood center lets me fill those questions out on line, print out a sheet that they scan when I get there. I'm all about answering those questions on company time!

Anyone find the finger stick to be the worst thing about donating?

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
Off topic but my local blood center lets me fill those questions out on line, print out a sheet that they scan when I get there. I'm all about answering those questions on company time!

Anyone find the finger stick to be the worst thing about donating?

100%. I hate that fucking finger stick!!!

stewie

stewie

Feb 16, 2011
Blood banks such as the Red Cross don't have the capability to analyze your Fe (iron/ferritin) status. An actual veinpuncture (blood draw) would have to done. Then your blood would have to be centrifuged (separation of plasma) to determine the Fe2/Fe3 content.

Different labs will have varying S.I units of measurements for reference ranges. The more common reference range for Fe (iron) is 55–160 µg/dL. If your Fe was 21.3 µg/dL, you'd be iron deficient, without anemia due to your erythrocytes being 7.39 mcl.

Your erythrocytes (RBC's) and HH (hemoglobin/hematocrit) isn't suggestive thalassemia trait, nor hemochromatosis, stop using Google Doctor to diagnose yourself. Your indices (low MCV/high RDW [microcytic anemias]) is highly suggestive of iron deficiency without anemia. The more you phlebotomize (blood donations) the more you stimulate erythropoietin, thus production of erythrocytes (RBC's).

If you look at the vast majority of individuals that are unfortunately inflicted with hemochromatosis (iron overload) they don't have secondary erythrocytosis. Unless they have some sort of cardiorespiratory issues or undiagnosed sleep apnea.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
If your Fe was 21.3 µg/dL, you'd be iron deficient, without anemia due to your erythrocytes being 7.39 mcl.

Your erythrocytes (RBC's) and HH (hemoglobin/hematocrit) isn't suggestive thalassemia trait, nor hemochromatosis, stop using Google Doctor to diagnose yourself. Your indices (low MCV/high RDW [microcytic anemias]) is highly suggestive of iron deficiency without anemia. The more you phlebotomize (blood donations) the more you stimulate erythropoietin, thus production of erythrocytes (RBC's).

If you look at the vast majority of individuals that are unfortunately inflicted with hemochromatosis (iron overload) they don't have secondary erythrocytosis. Unless they have some sort of cardiorespiratory issues or undiagnosed sleep apnea.

Thanks for the diagnosis but if I'm iron deficient why was I rejected for high iron values?

stewie

stewie

Feb 16, 2011
Phlebotomist will erroneously term "hemoglobin" as "iron". They're not one-in the same, iron is needed for the biosynthesis along with several other nutrients/minerals. Tho they're not synonymous with each other.

Last edited:
stewie

stewie

Feb 16, 2011
Apparently for some reason I'm not able to post a screenshot and the link to the Red Cross's website, odd.

Nonetheless, Google "Does the Red Cross check my iron level before donating?" It'll further explain it there.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011

Stewie! Good seeing ya here man:cool:

This post has served 3 things....

1) Give knowledge into the topic.
2) Pulled in Sassy69 to give me rep:D
3) Pulled in 2 of the most intelligent guys i've ever met on the forums, both Stewie and Wilson6!!!:cool:

Good things happening here at TID!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic