Regaining Strength Post-RC Surgery Repair

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Posting my bombass Shoulder workout from this past Sat, 8/17

Warm up - movements/bands/stretches

Db lateral raises, 5 sets/10 reps - 3 sec up/3 sec hold at top/3 sec down.
8 & 5#
8 & 5#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#
(finally went up in weight on my affected arm, right arm)

Machine lateral raises, 4 sets/12 reps (regular sets)

Db Front raises, 5 sets/10 reps - 3 sec up/3 sec hold at top/3 sec down.
8 & 5#
8 & 5#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#

Cable reverse flyes, rear delts, 5 sets/10 reps - 3 sec up/3 sec hold at top/3 sec down.
10#

Db bent over rear delts (seated), 5 sets/12 reps (regular sets)
20 & 12#
20 & 12#
20 & 20#
20 & 20#
20 & 20#

Oh boy, my shoulders were sore all day Saturday and Sunday and even today.....The affected shoulder was also sore, but just sore from working out sore. Not a hurt/injured soreness.

These 3 sec holds are no joke.....jeez.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Posting my bombass Shoulder workout from this past Sat, 8/17

Warm up - movements/bands/stretches

Db lateral raises, 5 sets/10 reps - 3 sec up/3 sec hold at top/3 sec down.
8 & 5#
8 & 5#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#
(finally went up in weight on my affected arm, right arm)

Machine lateral raises, 4 sets/12 reps (regular sets)

Db Front raises, 5 sets/10 reps - 3 sec up/3 sec hold at top/3 sec down.
8 & 5#
8 & 5#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#
8 & 8#

Cable reverse flyes, rear delts, 5 sets/10 reps - 3 sec up/3 sec hold at top/3 sec down.
10#

Db bent over rear delts (seated), 5 sets/12 reps (regular sets)
20 & 12#
20 & 12#
20 & 20#
20 & 20#
20 & 20#

Oh boy, my shoulders were sore all day Saturday and Sunday and even today.....The affected shoulder was also sore, but just sore from working out sore. Not a hurt/injured soreness.

These 3 sec holds are no joke.....jeez.

Good to see you going up on the weight used on your repaired shoulder. Those holds hurt, lol.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Good to see you going up on the weight used on your repaired shoulder. Those holds hurt, lol.

Yes they do hurt/burn.....it is really funny when my affected side is getting tired and holding up the weight, my arm goes down much quicker than my unaffected arm. Gravity is a bitch and strength not up there to hold it up for long. I jest that it is funny, only because the reality is that it is a little sad as well. <sad face>

At least with these slow and controlled movements, i'm not slinging the weights around, putting myself at risk of injury. There is that.
Lift smart.....right?

Last night workout:
Chest

Warm up: movement/bands/stretches

DB flat chest presses, 4 sets of 12 reps
warm up weight: 15#
20#
20#
20#
25#/20

Incline chest press Smith Machine
5# - 20 reps
7.5#-15 reps
10#-10 reps
15#-8 reps
20#-6 reps
NOTE: shoulder didn't feel too good on this movement, so i kept the weights light. I remembered during PT, that to move the arm, you should think about holding your shoulder together which engages all the RC tendons/muscles together. I really tried to focus on that. Also heard some crunching and felt a twinge.

Pec deck flyes, 4 sets of 12 reps
48#
60#
72#
84#

Then did cardio after.

NOTE: went up in weight on pec deck. I felt comfortable at the 72#, so went up to 84. Felt really good, not too heavy and shoulder was ok during movement. But then again, i'm really methodical and controlling in my movements.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yes they do hurt/burn.....it is really funny when my affected side is getting tired and holding up the weight, my arm goes down much quicker than my unaffected arm. Gravity is a bitch and strength not up there to hold it up for long. I jest that it is funny, only because the reality is that it is a little sad as well. <sad face>

At least with these slow and controlled movements, i'm not slinging the weights around, putting myself at risk of injury. There is that.
Lift smart.....right?

Last night workout:
Chest

DB flat chest presses, 4 sets of 12 reps
warm up weight: 15#
20#
20#
20#
25#/20

Incline chest press Smith Machine
5# - 20 reps
7.5#-15 reps
10#-10 reps
15#-8 reps
20#-6 reps
NOTE: shoulder didn't feel too good on this movement, so i kept the weights light. I remembered during PT, that to move the arm, you should think about holding your shoulder together which engages all the RC tendons/muscles together. I really tried to focus on that. Also heard some crunching and felt a twinge.

48#
60#
72#
84#

Then did cardio after.

NOTE: went up in weight on pec deck. I felt comfortable at the 72#, so went up to 84. Felt really good, not too heavy and shoulder was ok during movement. But then again, i'm really methodical and controlling in my movements.

NO INCLINE-- to much one front delt shoulder area --- not digging the "twinge"
take your time -- it will come back
as with my hammies -- just get blood flowing

looking great thou--- yummy really lol
proud of you!!!

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
NO INCLINE-- to much one front delt shoulder area --- not digging the "twinge"
take your time -- it will come back
as with my hammies -- just get blood flowing

looking great thou--- yummy really lol
proud of you!!!

Thanks Ita.....got it, no incline....gotcha Big Daddy : )
(and thank you for the post....)

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
OK so....met with my PT guy that worked with me on my shoulder rehab. Met with him this past Fri night. Did an evaluation of strength. So he ran through all the tests.
Overall was great, strength is up, obviously. And what I was weak in before, is stronger but still my weakest. (ER=external rotation).
He said that my strength is at about 85-95% back to what it was. Makes sense to me, i can see that. There are some exercises that i am still doing different weights in each hand.
My shoulder surgeon said to me that i would never be as strong as I was before the surgery. Guess he is right thus far. But I will show him that that will not be the case with me. i'm going to prove him wrong.

I went over with my PT, what I was doing before each upper body day at the gym. He said that it all sounded good like i'm warming up really well. One thing he told me is that after each upper body lift, to run through my warm up again. Go through the IR's and ER's, etc. He said that for athletes in like baseball, that that is what they do after a game as well. They will run through a bunch of exercises even after taxing out during the workout/game to really toast that area. I don't understand the science behind that, but OK I'll give it a try LOL.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
For the last 2 weeks, my workout plan was :
25mins cardio / 6 days per week
Workout (weightlifing) sessions 6 days per week
1 day completely off (Sunday)

I get new plans next week from coach, we will see what they will be. Before this one, i had 2 days/week off weights but still doing cardio.

Chest last night.

Chest upright press (4 sets 12 reps)
25# / 10#
35# / 15#
45# / 20#
45#/ 25#

DB flat chest presses
5# - 20 reps
8# - 15 reps
10# - 12 reps
12# - 10 reps
20# - 8 reps
25# - 6 reps
(I tested out the 25s on the affected arm....so far so good!)

72#-1st set
84#-2-4 sets

Standing low cable flyes (4 sets 12 reps)
10#-1 set
20#-2-4 sets

Did cardio after, because i overslept and did not do fasted cardio.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
A8BBF201-AE5E-4AAA-843D-1453AE09F073.jpeg

Slow and steady wins the race. Consistency. I still feel puffy but we are makin some slow progress.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Few updates. I am now officially at the 1 year mark, post surgery rc repair.
Here are a few workouts recently.....posting the ones where I have made some progress as far as pushing myself to use more weight, but being smart about it at the same time. Meaning controlled movements. If I can't control the weight, i quit and backdown to the weight where i can control it.
This part is tough. This is a lot tougher than the prep i went through last year.

Mon, 9/2 (Labor Day)
Chest

-Upright chest press, 4 sets 12 reps
35/10, 45/20, 45/25, 45/27.25,drop set w/: 35/10

-Flat db bench,
15/10# for 20 reps
20/12# for 15 reps
25/15# for 12 reps
30/20# for 10 reps
35/25# for 8 reps
(NOTE: This is the most db chest press weight I have done since post surgery.
FYI....i am now at the 1 year mark!)

-Pec deck flyes, 5 sets, 12 reps
72#, 84#, 84#, 84#, 92#
(PR'd again!)

-Low cable flyes, 4 sets-12 reps
10#, 20#, 20#, 20#,

Tues, 930
bi's and tri's

All movements: 5 sets - 12 reps

-Curls straight bar-cable, 40, 50, 50, 50, 50

-Tricep reverse grip pull downs straight bar, cable-30, 40, 50, 60, 60

-Hammer curls - cable using ropes - 40, 50, 50, 50, 50

-Rope tricep pull downs - 40, 50, 50, 50, 50

(Could my PR's be attributed to the var? perhaps.....but it is still my work doing it).

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Had a fantastic back day last night. Really pushed it.

Mon, 9/9: Back

-Lat pulldowns close grip, 5 sets-12reps
Was not a cable machine, but a lat pulldown where you put plates on, not sure what it is called LOL.
25#, 30#, 35#, 40#, 45#
NOTE: i kept adding weight because it felt too light/easy. Was a good feeling to have.

-Seated low cable rows, 5 sets-12 reps
90#, 100#, 100#, 100#, 100#
NOTE: 100# felt really, really good. I left it at there, because I had more movements left. Hindsight, i will probably start with 100# next time and go up.

-Lat pulldowns - wide grip, cable-5 sets - 12 reps
80#, 90#, 90#, 90#, 90#

-Tbar rows, 5 sets - 12 reps
45#, 50#, 55#, 60#, 60#

-Pull ups 4 sets 10 reps
Assisted on the machine thingy. My gym just got this guy in , it is nice. Moves smoothly and controlled. I was doing assisted pull ups with a very large band attached to a rack lol.
I will probably work on my pull ups a bit more to get them to do them unassisted, as long as my shoulder can tolerate. Will see.

I have some good DOMs today in upper and middle back, some in delts and biceps.
I do believe this workout was fueled completely by my gluttony during this past weekend. It was gross, but I did it and now I have to own it. Shame on me, but i'm back on plan now.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
LOL - “Fueled by Gluttony” should be on a T-shirt.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
UPDATE:

Hey y'all, i might make this my final update. I am now 1 year and 6 weeks post RC repair surgery.

Am I back 100%? no but pretty darn close, there are some areas that need improved. There are also areas where i have had to make adjustments due to my surgery. What was once normal, is no longer normal for me.
So i'm not into powerlifting, so strength should not be a thing, but to me it is lol. My coach said it is not. Since I am into bodybuilding though, that is what is most important. Is my affected shoulder back to what it was? No, I don't think so but again pretty close.

However...this past weekend I trained with my trainer and we focused on shoulders. I did 2 moves, that were over head and I was super excited about that. For some reason, I have not been doing movements overhead. But now I did and feel great about it.
This past weekend, standing in the squat rack, did overhead standing presses with the barbell (and only the bar), and it felt good. No twinges. We supersetted everything.
The next overhead movement was seated, with an ezbar with like 2/10# weights on the bar. The hand position was pronated (palms facing me, right?), and did presses. Again, felt really nice and no twinge and did not hurt after or during.

I feel like this is a constant at this point, getting back to normal or what I was or what not. I feel much differently about flat or incline presses....i just don't want to do them, so i look for other movements to do and there are plenty. We are always striving to improve and that is what I shall do from here on out.
My next journal will be for my next show prep. Can't wait to start that. But I need to decide on a show for 2020. I'm headed off to Mexico in a couple days and will meet with my coach when I get back to work on our strategy for 2020.

Happy Lifting Y'all!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic