Ethan7400
What's New?

Recent Ultrasound Results & Shoulder Update

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Well, a few weeks ago or so was doing some dumbbell chest presses on an incline bench (yea i know, bad....) and felt a tear when it was on the downward stroke. It hurt when i did that, so i stopped of course. Assessed if i could go on, chose to stop everything. After that, it kept hurting and my shoulder would hurt very bad a few hours after my workouts. I even adjusted workouts by lowering the weight and stopping if it hurt of course.
So i went back to my PT, he was going stretching and ASTEM. Felt really good but the pain was still there so decided to go back to see shoulder doc. He ordered an image and since i had RC repair surgery in 2018, had to do an ultrasound since the screw in my shoulder would mess with MRI images.

Last week had ultrasound and the tech basically gave me the results, which was good. The RC is intact. YAY! But... have a small 6mm partial -thickness articular side tear of the subscapularis tendon and my biceps tendon is subluxed, but evidently it was subluxed in 2018 as well. Small deltoid bursal effusion. Last ultrasound was Dec 2018.

Other items in the report (I have the report):
"There is mild subacromial subdeltoid bursitis".​
"There is no evidence of recurrent posterior cuff tear or tendinopathy".​
"There is mild tenosynovitis and medial subluxation of the biceps tendon, similar to prior study."​
"There is mild global atrophy of the right rotator cuff muscles when compared to the left."​

Met with the doc this past Monday, he gave me 3 options:
1. do nothing and alter workouts and live with it.
2. inject antinflammatory meds into shoulder. this may help immediately but may not last long.
3. surgery to snip the long head biceps tendon, but he said that would cause it to bunch up and cause my symmetry to be off. He knows I compete in bodybuilding. He said he could affix the tendon to bone, but doesn't recommend.

I went with option #2 above. Inject meds and i'll just live with it and adjust my workouts accordingly.

But what gets me is the comment about atrophy. Yikes. It says mild but i hate that word LOL.

Good to know not a retear though! Whew.....

Happy Lifting Y'all......back to my diet now, this past weekend i drank and ate like an asshole. Now back to the grind.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
#2 seems like a good choice for now as it gives you the option of repeating it as needed and/or choosing #1 or #3 later.

Is training just the means to an end (competition) for you, or do you enjoy the training so much that competition just juices up the training, and training IS the real thing that makes you happy? If (IF) that is the case, then option #3 becomes less ominous sounding. For the time being, option #2 gives you time to keep doing stuff, and thinking about stuff.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Honestly training makes me happy, very happy. With competitions, there is a goal and i love the process in which you can change your body composition. It is amazing to me. So yea, love training.
Plus all the bennies there are to training.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Damn, sorry to hear this Bova. I'd get a second and third opinion before I'd ever let them snip the muscle without reattaching it.

Heady Muscle

Heady Muscle

VIP Member
Oct 13, 2014
you should smoke and eat like an asshole and your shoulder will not hurt as much but your belly might.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Damn, sorry to hear this Bova. I'd get a second and third opinion before I'd ever let them snip the muscle without reattaching it.

Thanks man! Yea...i agree. The shot has def helped me. At least for now....LOL

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
Being no stranger to shoulder injuries I think you chose correctly with option #2!! I hope your shoulder keeps on improving as people sometimes don't understand when you are in pain especially shoulder and back issues, people see no sling, casts, crutches, etc, people assume you should be able to suck it up!! Keep on truckin Bova!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic