Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Rear Wheel Drive cars in the Northern States - Camaro

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Hey,

Looking at a Camaro, but concerned on how this thing will handle during the winter months since it is RWD. Does anyone have any experience with a RWD in the Northern States. Just wondering how you manage the cars handling.

I don't want to buy and then have it sit during the winter.

Let me know what you think.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Last rear wheel drive I had was the Lexus IS, first snow, I went out and bought a used Jeep. Since then, only AWD cars for me. Camaro has a lot of power, not sure how it goes in the snow.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Last rear wheel drive I had was the Lexus IS, first snow, I went out and bought a used Jeep. Since then, only AWD cars for me. Camaro has a lot of power, not sure how it goes in the snow.

So didn't handle well huh ?

dude I know has a pick up truck.....he bought all season tires and throws 300lbs of sand in the back.

Even doing all this he may have an issue driving.

I guess this is why the Camaro and other RWD cars are cheaper in this area.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I'm up in Mass and I would urge you not to purchase that car unless you have a beater for the winter months.

Pick up a jeep cherokee or something like that for 3-4k from December to March if you want to invest that much in a camaro.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I live in Canada and my last 4 cars have been V8 powered RWD Chargers; 3 of them the SRT model with 400+ HP.

I just get a set of cheaper wheels and put snow tires on them. Not 'sport sedan' snow tires, REAL snow tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-v2 which will say they are for light trucks and SUVs.

I drove my 2010 SRT through 4 winters with a 46 mile commute each way to work with no issues. Every time it snowed I'd see lots of 4wd vehicles in the ditch and smashed against the guardrails. Never could understand that.

Proper tires + Driving sensibly = No problems

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
If you don't go beater route, invest in SNOW tires and wheels. Figure up here most police cars are crown vic and Chargers, both rear drive cars and they get around. Ok so the crown vic has no power, but the Chargers do. I have had my 300SRT in the snow with all seasons rated for snow. I would not want to make a daily driver out of it.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Mustang.........Its OK in the snow but I prefer not to drive it. The ass end tries to go first uphills in the snow!!!!!!!!!! Flex is correct though tires make all the difference.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
help me understand...

back in the late 70's....early 80's.....we had Thunderbirds, Trans Am....etc.....snow tires or all season tires were adequate.....

is it because the cars are lighter.......changes with the cars design...or different roads why RWD cars suck in the Northern States ?

I have young daughters....my practical side is saying stay away......just looking for a reason to give in to my practical side....LOLOL

That Camaro Convertible is calling me fellaz.....

I rented one last summer....loved that shiat.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Because most people driving these days learned to drive in FWD cars.

Like I said I have no problems driving my Chargers year round.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I live in Canada and my last 4 cars have been V8 powered RWD Chargers; 3 of them the SRT model with 400+ HP.

I just get a set of cheaper wheels and put snow tires on them. Not 'sport sedan' snow tires, REAL snow tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-v2 which will say they are for light trucks and SUVs.

I drove my 2010 SRT through 4 winters with a 46 mile commute each way to work with no issues. Every time it snowed I'd see lots of 4wd vehicles in the ditch and smashed against the guardrails. Never could understand that.

Proper tires + Driving sensibly = No problems

Biggest issue that I see with the 4wd in the snow is they think because they can drive fast, that they can brake just as quickly without worry.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
tires,tires,tires and if you cant hear your tires,,,you are on ice

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
so what is the consensus......get the Camaro or not ?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic