Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Really thinking of Getting into Power Lifting

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I have been lifting and training pretty hard for a good amount of years. 32yrs old now and have been geared more towards Size. When I started lifting I weighed 150ish. I'm at 191 lbs right now. I have never lifted Equip'ed, besides from Knee Wraps and a Belt.

I have just started going for some added strength and Putting up 320 lbs for Bench, 405 lbs for Squats and Deadlifts I'm not 100% on. I had a knee injury a couple of years ago so my numbers are just started to go back up. I feel I can still make easy strength gains. Since I just started training more towards Power and not size.

For my weight class what kind of numbers do I need to aim for to do well at this? I feel I can get a 1300 Total very soon. But I haven't been to a Power Lifting Meet since High school and weighed only 130lbs. lol

Thanks for the Help guys.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Doing "well" is a hard thing to quantify. I mean a 500lbs squat, 315lbs bench, and 500lbs pull all raw would be competitive in the 185lbs weight class.

Halo

Halo

MuscleHead
Jul 5, 2011
I had this same dialogue about 10 months ago, seems like I can't remember not powerlifting now. I love it, I love the team I lift with and I love the things I'm capable of in gear, although a fact is getting into gear is like relearning how to lift and it's not easy it's brutal, but I think you'll love it!!!

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Doing "well" is a hard thing to quantify. I mean a 500lbs squat, 315lbs bench, and 500lbs pull all raw would be competitive in the 185lbs weight class.

I think I can get those numbers. I put up 325lbs on Bench today easy. Did a Drop set after that of 225lbs x 15. I think I could have gotten 335lbs. I just still feel I need a few more reps. I need to read more into Power Lifting and talk to more guys. I'm not sure if switching up things now will be good. As I'm hitting PR's every week right now. Once these slow down or stop. I'm going to try a PL style workout.

I had this same dialogue about 10 months ago, seems like I can't remember not powerlifting now. I love it, I love the team I lift with and I love the things I'm capable of in gear, although a fact is getting into gear is like relearning how to lift and it's not easy it's brutal, but I think you'll love it!!!

I think I would love to join a Team, but I can't afford another Gym Membership and Gear. I'm still trying to find the money for Knee Wraps and a Super Ram/Slingshot. Also been thinking of adding some wrist straps and Belt. The gym I squat at as a Belt I like, but it's theirs.

The Weight Class I have been seeing is 198lbs... I think if I dropped to 181 lbs. I would loose some strength. Being 188 lbs today and Normally float up to 191ish. The 198 WT Class might be what I have to go with. I'm right in the Middle.

Also I noticed a Wilk. Totals? Whats that? Is it based off some %?

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Doing well isn't any concern for a first meet.... the first meet just don't bomb out.

As for a team.... it's not another gym membership, it's a different gym membership. Most guys just lift with the team 2-4 times a week and that's it. If you are still going to golds or something and doing bodybuilder workouts between training sessions you are either going to hurt yourself ( seen that) or aren't going hard enough ( also seen that).... if you want to make a name for yourself in this sport you'll need to learn from someone better than you who can help in real life. But there's nothing wrong with just training on your own up to the first meet, meeting people at the meet then training with them. Only one or two decent lifters I can think of train alone and even then it's only because they have to ( army etc...)

The team also helps with gear and training as most guys who have been around have gained a few weight classes and can pass on their beginner gear to you for a few cases of beer. That's how I got my first suit/shirt and that's what happened with them when I grew as well.

As for numbers to hit. If you go 400/300/400 on your first meet at 198 you won't get laughed at. You won't be on the cover of power mag but you also won't have the 123# girls stomping on your total ( raw, those #'s in gear are competitive for a 123# girl) As for #'s to shoot for... my team's last 198-er has a world record and owns the state records in 181 and 198. He could triple 650 in the squat raw ( low 9's in gear) bench 4 raw ( 7ish in gear) and pull 605 for a triple

Wilk and Glossbrenner are the two formulae used to calculate coefficients at meets for best lifter. Don't sweat them, just gun for other guys in your weight class.

Good luck.

Reactions: SAD
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Sometimes, you don't have to pay to train with a team. I've had the pleasure of training with past greats like Curtis Leslie and Steve Goggins and neither had me pay to train with them. I would do things for them to help their gym like photography, design work, etc.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I checked the Local PL gym and it's $600yr or $100 for 3 months plus it's a ways away. I already pay a Family Membership for the wife and kids and I have a pretty decent Gym at work I use. Once I get my numbers up and ready for a local Comp. I'm going to enter and see who I can talk to and find a Gym and maybe a team. I have always trained more like a Body Builder, but I have always been kind of strong for my size. Playing Football (LB/RB/WR) and Running Track.(100m/200m) I was trained for explosive Power from an early age. It's what landed me a Full Ride in Div.1 College. I still hold all the HS Records a State Record after 13yrs. I miss being competitive and being good at it. I'm not one to take 3rd or even 2nd. I want and aim for 1st. I know I'm kind of late getting into PL, but I'm hoping I can still make a dent here locally. I even saw a 100 Powerlifters for the 181 class. Newest date is 2009 thou.. I would like to make this list.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/rankings2010/viewbyweightclass.php?weightclassid=8&sex=1&lifts=8

So for the time being. I'll have to train on my own. Which I have always have for the last 12yrs. I'm kind of a hermit. I have learned to push myself to make goals. Never feel like I can focus 100% with a partner. But training like PL I may need to learn how.

Which program would be one to start off with? 5x5, 5/3/1 etc... I need to work on Squats and Deadlifts the most.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I personally am a fan of 5/3/1 and you can tailor it to best suit your needs.

You can also just go to a meet in your area and talk to the people there b/c I'm sure there is more than just 1 PLing gym in your area. They aren't as well known as bbing gym so you have to actively search them out.

blubbard

blubbard

TID Lady Member
May 31, 2012
I checked the Local PL gym and it's $600yr or $100 for 3 months plus it's a ways away. I already pay a Family Membership for the wife and kids and I have a pretty decent Gym at work I use. Once I get my numbers up and ready for a local Comp. I'm going to enter and see who I can talk to and find a Gym and maybe a team. I have always trained more like a Body Builder, but I have always been kind of strong for my size. Playing Football (LB/RB/WR) and Running Track.(100m/200m) I was trained for explosive Power from an early age. It's what landed me a Full Ride in Div.1 College. I still hold all the HS Records a State Record after 13yrs. I miss being competitive and being good at it. I'm not one to take 3rd or even 2nd. I want and aim for 1st. I know I'm kind of late getting into PL, but I'm hoping I can still make a dent here locally. I even saw a 100 Powerlifters for the 181 class. Newest date is 2009 thou.. I would like to make this list.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/rankings2010/viewbyweightclass.php?weightclassid=8&sex=1&lifts=8

So for the time being. I'll have to train on my own. Which I have always have for the last 12yrs. I'm kind of a hermit. I have learned to push myself to make goals. Never feel like I can focus 100% with a partner. But training like PL I may need to learn how.

Which program would be one to start off with? 5x5, 5/3/1 etc... I need to work on Squats and Deadlifts the most.

USAPL is a drug free organization. So if you plan on getting on that list you would need to compete clean. Just pointing this out.

As for numbers. They don't matter. Just go compete, have fun, dont bomb out, and start from there.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I personally am a fan of 5/3/1 and you can tailor it to best suit your needs.

You can also just go to a meet in your area and talk to the people there b/c I'm sure there is more than just 1 PLing gym in your area. They aren't as well known as bbing gym so you have to actively search them out.

I printed a 5/3/1 thing out to read in the car. I'll start looking harder and talk to a few guys for more gyms.

USAPL is a drug free organization. So if you plan on getting on that list you would need to compete clean. Just pointing this out.

As for numbers. They don't matter. Just go compete, have fun, dont bomb out, and start from there.

I haven't touched any Pro-Hormone in about a year. Not even taking Creatine right now. Just Glycobol from AI. I was given it to do a review on. I believe I would easily clean. I get random drug test at work too.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
They don't test you for performance enhancers at work so don't think that's a good way to judge anything.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
They don't test you for performance enhancers at work so don't think that's a good way to judge anything.

You would think that, but they can and will if they believe someone is using. They have the backing to pay for it. But they would have to be 100% sure before testing as it could easily turn into a lawsuit.

Besides I'm not using any performance enhancers. So it's not an issue anyway. I have been getting Blood work done to get on TRT. I've tested out border line for TRT. Would 100% Legal Doctor script be Clean still for Comps?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic