Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

"Real" hunters

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I know these folks on Tv have had their time in the woods/fields and earned a place on tv (in most cases). However, I always find it interesting how unrealistic televised hunts are. The areas are lightly hunted, if at all, and are on private land, which means, deer will also stay on their usual daily paths, and the land is managed so there are plenty of deer to choose from.

That said, this idea of rattling antlers to call in a buck just seems silly to me. Do any real hunters actually use antlers to lure in buck? If they do, do any of them/you use them in areas that have any kind of hunting pressure at all?

I guess I am just sick of seeing these pros using tactics that usually don't work in areas that have even the smallest amount of pressure. Oh, you tracked your deer every day for a week before your hunt? Cool story brah. On most land, the deer won't take it's usual path on opening day and you might not ever see that deer again. Psh!

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I've never used them. My dad never see them. My grandpa or great grandpa never used them. You see where I'm going? Lol I agree I think it's silly. If I made that much noise while hunting I would've def heard about it.

H

hardpr

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2012
are you kidding me noise. lol. couldnt bath the night before or brush your teeth use deodorant and so on. reality tv isn't real.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I don't think real hunting would make much of a TV show, unless it is the party by the campfire the night before.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
one more thing to add shorts... these "shows" are typically on preserves in which there is are food plots and feeders close by and game cams everywhere. These deer are fed really well all year, and in some cases hormones are put int the feed to increase antler size. They aren't necessarily "lightly" hunted... but they are regulated... The guide usually asks you how big you want your buck... Charges you a fee and then takes you to where they know he walks...the bucks come up on the "rattling" out of curiosity... these bucks have lost there fear of man because they know man feeds them well...I have seen some monsters in my day... but you RARELY see a heard of trophy bucks traveling together in the wild... and... i know some guys who have paid to "hunt" these preserves ;)... The reality is... rattling horns or not...if you get up in a stand and start whispering to your camera man all morning long... you wont be shootin shit!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I don't think real hunting would make much of a TV show, unless it is the party by the campfire the night before.

Hahaha, yea its pretty boring.

I don't hunt anymore, but when I used to, 90% of the day (daylight portion) was spent waaaaaaaiiiiiitttttiiiiing.

Not to mention all the effort you go through to get the lease set up for the season. Feeding, finding a place to put your stuff, etc.

Then when you FINALLY see something, you get 1 shot.

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
To answer your question yes rattling horns work. All depends on where you hunt. I hunted a place for 10 years and they didn't work there. Why u ask? The buck to doe ratio was so ****ing far out of wack it was crazy. Deer have to be managed meaning you have to kill X number of does and X number of bucks. You have to get the wildlife dept involved and they will do a count. Where we hunt we manage deer. It's all low fence I don't hunt high fence places. My brother n law runs a high fence game ranch where they breed trophy deer meaning 1 year olds already have a 180-200 + rack on there head. When you I to a place that is high fenced it isn't hunting that is called shooting. That shit is for the dr and lawyers that want bragging rights. The deer cost more then most people's cars on here. $60K plus to buy.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
One of my bosses in college used to "hunt" wild boar, real egotistical dickbag. Fenced in, basically, you couldn't miss getting a huge board unless you didn't know how to use a gun and then I think for the money someone would have shot if for you so you could show off your mad skillz...

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I would like to blast some of those little nasty piggies! Man they are destructive & taking over everything in some areas.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
One of my bosses in college used to "hunt" wild boar, real egotistical dickbag. Fenced in, basically, you couldn't miss getting a huge board unless you didn't know how to use a gun and then I think for the money someone would have shot if for you so you could show off your mad skillz...

I learned from the local Agg Uni that you have to kill about 85% of the hog population every year just to control their population. That's insane! Hunting them without trained dogs and/or being an experienced trapper won't get you even close to controlling their population.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I learned from the local Agg Uni that you have to kill about 85% of the hog population every year just to control their population. That's insane! Hunting them without trained dogs and/or being an experienced trapper won't get you even close to controlling their population.

Yep, they breed like rats. Around here they've lost fear, they come out midday , tear up the golf courses, million dollar plus homes getting trashed. They used to hire ''hunters'' to cull them on the course, middle of the day you could hear them poppin pigs. Sooo now they have lifted the no kill on them!

And the rattlin antlers..depends where you hunt I guess but I've never seen anyone or even heard anyone talk about using them. I think the old farts on tv are laughin their asses off when they use them on tv...like '''let's see how many people we can get out their to start doin this''

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Lots of friends and family are hunters. I'm a gun nut, but not much of an actual hunter myself. And my personal hunting experience has pretty much been limited mostly to birds.

That aside, I've hunted on occasion, but it's just not something my personality is suited for overall - the getting up at a ridiculous hour, the sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting, the rules, the game warden ball busters, the mosquitoes and other critters, etc. Catabolic as hell. :D

To each their own, but I look at the time, effort, money, etc that some of my friends and relatives put into it all and just say to myself that I'll largely stick to my own hobbies and passions - working out, chasing women, investing, politics, etc.

If I could do it the way I did it as a kid many years ago - sit on the back patio in my own back yard on a cool late morning or afternoon with my .22, and effortlessly pick off the birds and squirrels from the trees - I'd probably do it more often.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic