Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

RAW vs. Equipped Powerlifting

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
This is NOT a thread to debate which one is more impressive, or takes more work etc.

With Ryan attempting to break Mendys 715 raw bench and Benni getting a new WR of 973.5 raw dead it seems like there is a bit more emphasis on raw lifting these days.

Would "most" people like to see more raw meets every year? It just seems that raw meets would bring more "recognition" to the sport as well as more competitors in general. Lets face it, it would be much easier to get the average gym guys to pause a bench and keep their ass down than it would be to get them into the latest shirt (and all the technique, form, time etc. that goes with it).

I am working with a couple guys at my gym right now that are doing the meet with me in Novemeber. I KNOW that if the meet were more about equipped powerlifting (it has both divisions but a lot of raw guys), they would NOT have considered entering.

Raw seems "easier" to train for, not in regards to the effort you put in, but in the sense that you don't have to make such a production out of training. You don't need 2-4 guys to get you in your shirt/suit etc.

What do you guys think??
Should PL head back to more emphasis on RAW lifts?
Are things fine the way they are?
Would more RAW meets help build the sport more?

G

guinessforstrength

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2010
I'm all for more RAW!

Nsupps

Nsupps

Sep 29, 2010
I compete in raw. I think raw definitely helps the sport. A lot of people that don't know about powerlifting assume it's raw (at least in my experiences) and then when I explain bench shirts, squat and deadlift suits and briefs, etc... the same respect isn't there. I have absolutely nothing against geared powerlifting, I just prefer raw for me and my goals.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
PLing IS in fact going to more raw- the proof is the popularity of the RUM events and that national events such as last years UPA Nats had a ton more raw lifters... Ive done both, but will likely be sticking to raw more often as I dont get as much out of equipment as guys a foot shorter than me... I barely made it in the top 50 rankings equipped, but made it into top 20 once I went raw! And as mentioned, to the average shithead that knows nothing about the sport, equipment usually does cause loss of respect for the numbers acheived with it... Everyone on the team Im currently coaching is competing raw- we will be doing two national events this year, and without bragging, I think we'll do alright, lol...

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I dont compete any because of a lower back problem .But I train RAW and always have so RAW all the way ,but just my opinion

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
i train in the raw all the time...no suport except a weight belt....

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
i train in the raw all the time...no suport except a weight belt....

A belt is something I need to look into... I'm getting old! lol....need to support my back more. But I agree, raw seems to be getting more popular as opposed to just a few years ago when trying to put up the most weight any way possible was a more popular choice

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
I started before the equipment existed so it was all raw. I switched to the suits etc because that is what was popular at the time.
It is harder to go back raw after lifting with all the stuff.
I do respect raw and it is easier to get new lifters in raw division since they dont have to spend a fortune on the equipment and the lifting is more like what they are doing in the gym.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
I started before the equipment existed so it was all raw. I switched to the suits etc because that is what was popular at the time.
It is harder to go back raw after lifting with all the stuff.
I do respect raw and it is easier to get new lifters in raw division since they dont have to spend a fortune on the equipment and the lifting is more like what they are doing in the gym.
I hear that bro..I was the same...i started without equipment existed...Hell i rememeber i made a pair of blue gean shorts...And i made them like two ply strong...No way of busting them...I tell you what those shorts gave me over 70 on the squat....But i do rememeber also,when i started training with gear on i got use to the feeling and surport....Then when i decided to swich back in the raw..it took along wile to build back up without the surport....I believe that raw lifting is real...Its a test of real power.....dw

M

Mad_dawg

Dec 9, 2010
I vote for more raw lifting as well.

I started back before most of the gear came around. Squat suits were around back then (early 80's) and a lot of the guys wore them and they were like strong spandex, and nowadays they are so high tech I just think it's crazy. Bench shirts came around a little later. You guys remember the one that zipped up the front??

I can't afford all the new gear and train alone, so it's pretty much out for me.

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I like raw better. That is not to take away anything from anyone that competes assisted.

Peace,
mad_dawg

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
I've always trained raw. Just enjoyed lifting the heaviest weight I could. That's all that mattered to me. There's not even a mirror around me while training. It's just me against the weights and the log.

luvthetest

luvthetest

Jan 27, 2011
IMHO if your equipped your not lifting the weight your cheating!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic