Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Raw Milk laws

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
:confused:I'm a huge Ron Paul supporter, but I'm also a food safety official (not for the God awful feds though)... I'm gonna have to figure out how to reconcile this one...

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i grew up handing milking cows and drinking raw milk! nothing better although i dont drink it anymore. *big sigh* sucks to be an easy keeper.

i dont know why the government feels like they need to regulate everything! if only people would take responsibility for their own actions and decisions!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
i grew up handing milking cows and drinking raw milk! nothing better although i dont drink it anymore. *big sigh* sucks to be an easy keeper.

i dont know why the government feels like they need to regulate everything! if only people would take responsibility for their own actions and decisions!

I'm sure that was a rhetorical question but of course the answer is to perpetuate themselves. Only the Government can create its own job security by requiring its very existence...

But as far as raw milk laws you're suggesting let the free market decide? I would be fine with that, but I think there is as much exaggeration of its positive health effects as there are exaggeration of its negative health consequences and risks. The raw milk has some beneficial bacteria and enzymes but also comes with a risk of L. Monocytogenes, EHEC, Salmonella Spp... The trade off to me doesn't seem worth it.

You mentioned that you grew up with cows though... I had seen a study somewhere a while back about how people living with small herds were generally less likely to wind up with illness from drinking raw milk. Wish I could find that, it was interesting to read.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
it was a rhetorical question. :D

certainly raw milk wouldnt be for the masses, i mean, people are way to germaphobic these days. but i think for those people who want it, why shouldnt they be able to buy it. we used to buy it from a local dairy when our cows were dry during the summer months.

growing up on a small farm, milking our own cows, butchering our own beef, i am pretty much immune to any bug out there :D my sisters and i used to have cow pie wars and play king of the manure pile. :D plus being around it all day everyday really helps keep the immune system strong.

i personally think people are way to sterile which is why they are sick all the time. my ex in laws carry that hand sanitizer and all sorts of sanitizing wipes around with them everywhere and they are the sickest people i know. i just stick to washing my hands and in healthy as a horse :D

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
People carry those hand crap sprays and wipes because they believe everything the stupid media says and dishes there way. Just keeps your hands clean, and wash them before ya eat anything and you'll be fine.

Now on the raw milk issue, I'll have to check what the law is around here because I remember a Dairy a few miles from here selling organic raw milk.

I think raw milk has tons of benefits, and should be available locally for anyone to purchase, I just think that once one raw product like this goes to the mass market to many hands get involved and could cause to many bacterium issues to occur because some moron was not being smart about handling the milk, or the temperature was not monitored correctly.

However, I will say, there has never been anything better than getting fresh milk, egg's, beef, and chicken a few hours old from the local guys.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
However, I will say, there has never been anything better than getting fresh milk, egg's, beef, and chicken a few hours old from the local guys.

this is so true! one of my techs has chickens and brings in fresh eggs all the time. they are the best. i also have a client that will give me a beef every few years or i will buy one from the local 4-H show. best beef ever! yummy. we always had two milk cows when i was a kid and there were four of us girls and we were never sick. i think you are correct that there are great benefits to fresh whole foods!

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
I'm not up on all this, but why not irradiate the milk, instead of pasteurize, if the worry is bad bacteria? I personally think whole milk tastes like crap. I don't like the inside of my mouth coated with fat.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
People carry those hand crap sprays and wipes because they believe everything the stupid media says and dishes there way. Just keeps your hands clean, and wash them before ya eat anything and you'll be fine.

Now on the raw milk issue, I'll have to check what the law is around here because I remember a Dairy a few miles from here selling organic raw milk.

I think raw milk has tons of benefits, and should be available locally for anyone to purchase, I just think that once one raw product like this goes to the mass market to many hands get involved and could cause to many bacterium issues to occur because some moron was not being smart about handling the milk, or the temperature was not monitored correctly.

Never had better eggs than the day a local farmer friend of mine handed me a couple. They were all sorts of colors, but I ran right home and cooked them up. Store bought eggs have no flavor whatsoever compared to freshly laid eggs.

There is a local farm near me that produces their own grass fed beef... Just so damn expensive though otherwise I'd eat it 4 times a day!

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not up on all this, but why not irradiate the milk, instead of pasteurize, if the worry is bad bacteria? I personally think whole milk tastes like crap. I don't like the inside of my mouth coated with fat.

The reason why they pasteurize is because fecal bacteria does get introduced because of some morons poor cleaning technique, happens with "some" Dairy's, not all. Most Dairy's practice very safe and effective food handling processes. But irradation would be super expensive and require really expensive equipment if they ever went that route.

Also don't forget, they even pasteurize orange juice and other liquids.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Ron Paul is about as cool as AIDs.... and I don't drink milk

huh....

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011

Just cock huh?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic