Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Random question - pain in my brachioplexus

cynderella

cynderella

TID Lady Member
Feb 4, 2015
I'm dealing with some pain in my right brachioplexus. It's been ongoing for almost 5 mnths now and no matter how I switch up my arm routines I can not stop the pain in the shoulder. I have a nerve disorder called reflex sympathetic dystrophy I've had it since 2011. It effects my right side unilateral, sometimes when I go hard core and do arms more often the pain is minimal sometimes it's worse. I have been having a lot of pain in it lately and numbness of the limb especially while sleeping. The only thing I added to my routine is Arnold's to build up my shoulders so my traps wouldn't look huge compared to my lack of shoulders. I seem to have the definition I wanted from the Arnold's but the pain is unbearable currently. Does anyone know a different routine for building up shoulders that might be less strenuous on my brachioplexus? I'm open to any advice or ideas to take the strain off the shoulder while still allowing me to reach my goal. Shrugs seem to only target my traps when working out, had an ex point out I use traps often when doing most my workout so I don't wanna over use traps and not hit the shoulders. Thanks again for any help you can send my way!!!!

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Your brachial plexus is a bundle of nerves (C5-T1). They are in-between your anterior and medial scalene.

You need to be more specific with pain/numbness. Where exactly? Identifying the location exactly will determine the nerve root. You said something about your shoulders, i assume you mean deltoids, that would mean myotome C5.

You say you have RSD...what happened? Injury? stroke?

Anyway....since it seems like a nerve problem, i'd see a chiropractor and have them find and adjust any subluxations in your C & T (Cervical and thoracic) spine.

cynderella

cynderella

TID Lady Member
Feb 4, 2015
No injury or stroke and it's in my right shoulder top of my shoulder not the pack side. Dr. said it lesions on the brachial plexus. I'm not certain where exactly other then that or how to explain it. I've had several MRI's and never tests ran and unilateral RSD. It was so bad for almost a year I was somewhat crippled. I had been working threw it and it seemed to ease up until I started doing the Arnold's and chest press equipment. I assumed I'm twerking it somehow.

I had been to a chiropractor several times threw out the course it seems I had the best luck with my physical therapist just doing arm bands. I'm kinda looking to see if there are other work outs that can still do the trick like the Arnold's but maybe less likely to cause pain.

Thanks for the help

They were shocked as much as me that it had accrued with injury to it. I was 26 and it started happening while doing manufacturing work for a semi conductor company.

The pain

cynderella

cynderella

TID Lady Member
Feb 4, 2015
I honestly think that it may have been from the epidural I had while pregnant but I can't prove that and the dr.s think otherwise they say it had to be a crush injury. Fortunately thou I had none at all prior to the finding.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Unless you took the epidural injection into the neck, it's isn't that. The epidural is administered in the epidural space of the lumbar spine. If there was nerve damage from the injection itself, it'd be in your lower extremities.

I'd seriously find a chiro that specializes in nerve pain. MD's push medication and surgery. Chiros understand that most nerve pain/problems are caused by some sort of interference related to the spinal nerves. I'm a DC student, so I believe a good chiro will help. A GOOD CHIRO. As questions, read reviews, where did they get their education, etc.

Anyone mention using a TENS unit ?

Also, instead of pushing into the pain when working out...how about rest or avoiding anything that causes pain. Pain is the body's way of saying STOP. Plus, since you know it's a nerve problem, you could be further damaging nerves.

cynderella

cynderella

TID Lady Member
Feb 4, 2015
It seems to help in the long run when I continue to use the muscle. It's like it almost loosens it up over time. If I skip my two rest days in a row it seems to bother me more the first day or two back at it.

I'm pretty certain that they use that device on me when I see the chiropractor. Almost every time after she aligns me. I also have them use the pressured jet bed for my back and upper body it's so nice and relaxes all that after the TENS been done.

Thanks for the advice and your right the doctors wanna keep me on anti inflammatory meds, pain pills and seizure meds all which caused more damage then good. I actually started having bad night seizures while on them and stopped taking it all about a year ago. Besides the shoulder pain I'm well so I can't bitch to much but you are right.

Thanks again!

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Script meds causing seizures? Imagine that. I'd drop those like a bad habit, and of course you did. Hang in there, Good advice from Zomb. Hard to pin point those causes of pain.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
So I was training with a classmate who is interning at a big tech company. He said he has treated brachial plexus nerve problems at his location. His patients has numbness down their arms and into their fingers (1-3) which would mean the median nerve. He said some pinch stretch/ART on the anterior scalene did the trick. Remember the brachial is in-between the anterior and posterior scalene. Stretching the muscles and bringing down any inflammation will free up the plexus and allow it to function properly.

Conclusion:
Pinch stretch/ART on anterior/medial scalene.

cynderella

cynderella

TID Lady Member
Feb 4, 2015
Thanks man I appreciate that so much Zomb!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic