Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Quick Question...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I just recently found out I was divorced (as far as I knew we were separated)...So to cut a long story short, not only am I divorced but have only visitation rights to my youngest daughter...

My question is this: If I didn't know I was getting divorced and my ex-wife could get in touch with me, but did not, can I contest this visitation decision?...Of course I'm not looking for legal advice, just an opinion!!!!Thanks in advance!!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
How do you get divorced without knowing it? Call a lawyer.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Yes, call a lawyer. When was the last time you saw your youngest daughter?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
If you did not know a divorce was started through no fault of your own, you should be able to get it reopened (i.e. in other words, you did not know a proceeding had been started and you did not ignore the proceeding so you had no way of knowing you faced the risk of a decision against you if you neglected it). Even if you did know and failed to participate, you should be able to reopen the visitation and custody if there are material changes that have occurred in your circumstances that affect your ability to have custody, since the decision on custody was made.

I would definitely hire an attorney.

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Didn't you get served??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
This makes no sense. How could you go through a divorce & not know it? You’re saying you were never served? Never told by your ex? Never had to hire an attorney? Never had a court date? Never had to sit in DFS? Etc? If all this is true consider yourself the luckiest man alive.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
COULD BE A DEFAULT DIVORCE!!! OR publication DIVORCE
SOME STATES ALLOW IT

was ur separation legal or you just moved out?

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
You have rights. You can argue the decision all you want. Request a guardian ad litem, etc.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
lawyer.

not a fucking fitness forum...

LAWYER.
call one. to be honest if your divorced and you "didnt know it" your likely shot for reasons outside legal.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
COULD BE A DEFAULT DIVORCE!!! OR publication DIVORCE
SOME STATES ALLOW IT

was ur separation legal or you just moved out?

I agree. Most likely it was a divorce by publication. They generally require that the two spouses have been living apart for a minimum amount of time, and that your spouse claims that you cannot be located despite diligent efforts to find your. The the put a divorce notification in some obscure legal paper and if you don't answer in a certain amount of time they go to court and the judge will grant the divorce.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I agree. Most likely it was a divorce by publication. They generally require that the two spouses have been living apart for a minimum amount of time, and that your spouse claims that you cannot be located despite diligent efforts to find your. The the put a divorce notification in some obscure legal paper and if you don't answer in a certain amount of time they go to court and the judge will grant the divorce.

Yeah, I was thinking this...However, my kids (knew exactly where I was living), friends, and she had my email address at ALL times...I do appreciate everyone's reply...It has been a grueling life with her...Now she has my kids against me, sorta of...Again, thanks for responding!....

M

musto

Oct 14, 2018
Talking to a lawyer is a sure way to know what you can do legally. So sorry you're in this situation, hope it gets better!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic