Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Question to Competitors...

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
It's definitely a different strategy and ball game. Those who cut or do water manipulation have to know their bodies, and it's a roll of the dice. Cut too much and your lifts will suffer. Refeeding is paramount. Some are very very good at it and likely have had practice. I would definitely do some test runs to see how you do and how you feel. The feds I compete in do the 24 hour weigh in and most lifters adjust accordingly.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
Wouldn't bother me in the least. I always compete at my training weight.

I know one guy in particular that drops tons of weight the week prior to the meet through water manipulation, weighs in, then goes nuts with food/water/bacon, etc.

I think he'd be better off just competing at his normal weight.

Just my $0.02
I know a guy that does the same thing. I honestly believe his lifts suffer on meet day because of it. Perhaps he's not doing it right. I wouldn't know. I do know the "back room" of the gym was covered with his blood due to numerous failed IV attempts the night before a meet, and he put up his worst totals in years at that one

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I haven't had to do any water manipulation in a long time. 7lbs doesn't really require much. Just sit in a sauna for a bit the night before and you'll be fine.

I'm thinking I'll probably use Lasix for mine.

My coach had me do a 10 lb water cut about 6 months ago, then in January I did a 20 lb water cut. The 20 lb cut went better than the 10 lb cut because I knew more and stayed on top of the details. On the last day I cut 6 lbs to make weight, by wearing a plastic garbage bag and blasting my heat on my 6 hour drive, then when I got to my hotel, soaking in water so hot it almost burned me for 15 to 20 minute sessions over another 3 hours.

We didn't use Lasix -- it was an all natural cut and the only diuretic I used was dandelion root. I did get the sh*ts after (though not as bad as after my 10 lb cut) -- turns out the re-hydration and re-feeding was the hardest part of the cut! The next day I had a spectacular competition.

PM me if you want to know the protocol.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
My coach had me do a 10 lb water cut about 6 months ago, then in January I did a 20 lb water cut. The 20 lb cut went better than the 10 lb cut because I knew more and stayed on top of the details. On the last day I cut 6 lbs to make weight, by wearing a plastic garbage bag and blasting my heat on my 6 hour drive, then when I got to my hotel, soaking in water so hot it almost burned me for 15 to 20 minute sessions over another 3 hours.

We didn't use Lasix -- it was an all natural cut and the only diuretic I used was dandelion root. I did get the sh*ts after (though not as bad as after my 10 lb cut) -- turns out the re-hydration and re-feeding was the hardest part of the cut! The next day I had a spectacular competition.

PM me if you want to know the protocol.

I'll definitely hit you up b/c I'm going to try this a couple times before I put it to the test. Gotta have it down to a science before I really go after it.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
To answer the OP - nothing changes, I'm SHW....

as for the water cut, you don't need diuretics. The water load is simple.

Say your weigh in is on Friday for a Sat meet.
The Sunday/Monday before you load up on salt and start pounding water. My wife cuts to 132 and drank 1-1.5 gal a day for this.
The Tuesday/Wed before you cut out all salt and switch to distilled water - still 1.5-2 gal. - by this point your body is flushing all the electrolytes (which cause you to hold water) out, so when you cut water it'll go fast.
Depending on your cut, either Wed afternoon or Thursday morning you cut out your water and start peeing it all out..... Thursday night a sauna or hot tub with some sweet sweat will pull out an easy 3-5 lbs if you're still over.
For most men we shoot for going to bed the night before at a pound or so over.... you'll fart and breathe that out over night.

After weigh ins just start carbing back up. Get a bunch of gatorade (powder, not the sugary crap) in you .... or the Bounce Back version made for horses..... get an iv if you can.

My wife uses this to cut from 141 or so to 132. My teammates have used this to cut from 235+ to 220 easily. One cut from 203 to 181 to break the all time squat record in his class.

The big thing though, if you're not cutting weight to set a record or win a big meet then don't do it. It's not worth it. Even the best lifters lose pounds from their total on even the best cuts. It's more fun to go in and hit big numbers than feel like shit from a hard cut for no reason.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic