What's New?

Quality of life

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I worked ER for many years and now work PACU/Recovery. Everyday we take gallbladders out of morbidly obese 20-30 somethings for no other reason than they eat like shit and feel like shit. Type 2 Diabetes is in 80% of my patients. 20yrs ago Knee replacements were for Trauma and Sports injuries. We do 20+ Total Knees each week and 99% of them are simply for fat fuckers who can't carry their weight around anymore.

This is the American way. I see 200+lb female teenagers everyday as well as 300lb 80 year olds. Much like our political climate, our views on climate change etc...over half our country live in denial that we are killing ourselves.

My wife has MS and had her first "episode" at 22yrs old (total blindness for 10days). She eats clean, trains 4xweek and takes her preventative meds religiously. Despite 20yrs of Recurring MS (usually progressing from cane to crutch to wheelchair) her second "episode" was not until 40yrs old. Her neurologist credit her remission to simply living the best she can.

Point is you can be healthy, you can live without chronic inflammatory and metabolic disease. Or you can go back to sleep and die fat and young ;)

Always enjoy your post!...This is one of the best!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Wow!...These are good post...Keep em coming!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
We have a guy in our gym that is 75 years old, got 11 years on me. The man has worked out all his life and I always thought he was in his 50's. The guy tells me he never goes to the doctor, never gets sick, never had a drink and never smoked and is also a Vietnam vet ('66). Definitely still has quite a bit of muscle mass on him but trains with lighter weights. Amazing testament for what weight training can do and an inspiration for even me.

My wife and I went out to visit Draper and his wife a few years back. Definitely an inspiration and they guy is sharp as a tack mentally.

How about this story that was in the news today.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article239122383.html

Got one almost identical in my gym, Tex...He is 72 and healthy as a horse...Has a good amount of muscle as well as being lean to boot!...I always compliment him when I see him...He has only been working out since his early 60's, I believe that's what he told me...Just go to show, we are in the "right" game!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Don't have the same sense of well being, energy, and for me especially, the "newness" of life...Everything becomes a repeat...Our bodies ache in places they never did before...We loose loved ones, etc...Any other words, life doesn't take on the same meaning as did when we were younger...Again, there is nothing new anymore...Just a major repeat...Is that an excuse?...Don't comment until u reach that age...;)

Sure bro, I am 52...Keep in mind tho, I have led a "stupid" life in my younger days, which adds to my "feelings" about life In general...However, even if I would have did things "perfectly", I still contend that I would see things the same way as I have witnessed many people older than me go...Some led "smart" lives, others like me, "dumb"...End result was the same from what I can tell...I still keep as positive as I can possible be, just stay realistic about the "final" outcome...

I asked your age only for a perspective. We are about the same age and to a point, I understand your feeling and applaud your honesty.

Life is not easy, it's a big reason I hate Facebook. People posting the facade they want other to see when inside the building, they are a train-wreck. I wish people spoke like you did and knew it's okay to be honest about having a bad day, week, month.

Still in all, you need to take care of yourself because little changes can make a drastic difference. If not for yourself, for the ones that care about you.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I asked your age only for a perspective. We are about the same age and to a point, I understand your feeling and applaud your honesty.

TY!...I wasn't this honest when I was younger...I think that had a lot to do with my poor decision making skills...It seems like when we are in the "bloom of our youth", we tend to want to please/impress others, especially the opposite sex or same sex if u are gay...We want to be somebody else, instead of our self...

Life is not easy, it's a big reason I hate Facebook. People posting the facade they want other to see when inside the building, they are a train-wreck. I wish people spoke like you did and knew it's okay to be honest about having a bad day, week, month.

Yep, I agree 100%...Again, I think this attitude causes a lot of good people to suffer unnecessary consequences!...It would be nice if we all could start off with a good, sound mentor figure in our lives that would show us by example how life really works...I think then the vast majority would fair a whole lot better in this messed up world!...So many of us tho, don't have this or didn't have it in our/their lives...

Still in all, you need to take care of yourself because little changes can make a drastic difference. If not for yourself, for the ones that care about you.

I concur!...I am trying to improve on my attitude about this matter...I did finally get a doc and made an appt...Hopefully, they will get me on track with the pain so that I can controll it rather that it controlling me/attitude!...

I do appreciate your post, bro!...It's nice to confer with a reasonable person...I really like this board due to the bro's that are on here...Seems like we have a good group of knowledgeable people with heart and respect for others!...Hard to find these days!...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic