Quality of life

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I worked ER for many years and now work PACU/Recovery. Everyday we take gallbladders out of morbidly obese 20-30 somethings for no other reason than they eat like shit and feel like shit. Type 2 Diabetes is in 80% of my patients. 20yrs ago Knee replacements were for Trauma and Sports injuries. We do 20+ Total Knees each week and 99% of them are simply for fat fuckers who can't carry their weight around anymore.

This is the American way. I see 200+lb female teenagers everyday as well as 300lb 80 year olds. Much like our political climate, our views on climate change etc...over half our country live in denial that we are killing ourselves.

My wife has MS and had her first "episode" at 22yrs old (total blindness for 10days). She eats clean, trains 4xweek and takes her preventative meds religiously. Despite 20yrs of Recurring MS (usually progressing from cane to crutch to wheelchair) her second "episode" was not until 40yrs old. Her neurologist credit her remission to simply living the best she can.

Point is you can be healthy, you can live without chronic inflammatory and metabolic disease. Or you can go back to sleep and die fat and young ;)

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Don't have the same sense of well being, energy, and for me especially, the "newness" of life...Everything becomes a repeat...Our bodies ache in places they never did before...We loose loved ones, etc...Any other words, life doesn't take on the same meaning as did when we were younger...Again, there is nothing new anymore...Just a major repeat...Is that an excuse?...Don't comment until u reach that age...;)
May I ask your age?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Yes, I believe they do. Put yourself in their perspective. Once you do it's not hard to relate.
I'm not sure it's in my DNA to understand that way of thinking so it would be hard to have their perspective.

When my time comes, I hope I have the courage to go out with the tide. But this is about little changes that can have a great impact on their quality of life.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That's a powerful picture of Dave Draper.

I agree, people by and large have become accepting of a sedentary lifestyle where they do very little of anything. I literally can't understand it but then again, my father told me and my siblings at a young age 5yo... No fat kids in this family.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
people are lazy and pass it down

I too have been on that same road Littleguy has been down -- a lot
and my fav saying is "keep moving forward"
when u stop is when u start to die

kids are way off worse -- only using shit to jump light years ahead of what could have been done with real work-- aka they have no foundation

my hero is busting 84 and still awesome

clerance Bass

Attachments

• Clarence%20Bass%20At%20Age%2079%20(abs)%20by%20Carol%20Bass.jpg
    Clarence%20Bass%20At%20Age%2079%20(abs)%20by%20Carol%20Bass.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 187
C

Cabo Jo

Thick n Wide VIP
Jun 26, 2011
live happy = live a long life. stress and being unhappy is the true killer. Moderation ya know

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
We have a guy in our gym that is 75 years old, got 11 years on me. The man has worked out all his life and I always thought he was in his 50's. The guy tells me he never goes to the doctor, never gets sick, never had a drink and never smoked and is also a Vietnam vet ('66). Definitely still has quite a bit of muscle mass on him but trains with lighter weights. Amazing testament for what weight training can do and an inspiration for even me.

My wife and I went out to visit Draper and his wife a few years back. Definitely an inspiration and they guy is sharp as a tack mentally.

How about this story that was in the news today.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article239122383.html

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I agree 100% with Jillian Michaels. It's ridiculous to "celebrate" illness.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Agreed Mike! This is like celebrating a fat ass guy who brags about doing nothing but stuffing his fat face at McDonalds ever day. Might as well give them a gun so they can just avoid all the suffering down the road.

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
It's not any better in the hospitals. Its become too much of a customer service driven industry vs what's best for the patient. A lot of times I've have a perfectly independent patient who all the sudden becomes very dependent/lazy calling out for staff help every hour or more in some cases for something they could normally help themselves with if they were at home like going to the bathroom, brushing teeth, fetching this or that, etc. All the sudden they start acting like a 95 y.o. can't get out of bed and then get the 5 star hotel trmt and expect it.

I work on a cardiac floor and can say that families in many situations encourage bad health choices for the patients too. I can't count how many times I've seen family bring there loves ones big macs and fries, KFC, pizza etc. All that grease and carbs is that last thing any patient needs when they just had or having cardiac stents placed. See it all the time though. It's become very normal.

Hosptial care is all about customer ratings these day at the expense of what's really best for patient. You try to do what right for the patient and 9/10 times you can expect a formal complaint against you.

Society is entitled, spoiled, lazy and completely ok with it.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
see I blame Little Debbie
that and Mr Price Saver

fuckers!!!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
May I ask your age?

Sure bro, I am 52...Keep in mind tho, I have led a "stupid" life in my younger days, which adds to my "feelings" about life In general...However, even if I would have did things "perfectly", I still contend that I would see things the same way as I have witnessed many people older than me go...Some led "smart" lives, others like me, "dumb"...End result was the same from what I can tell...I still keep as positive as I can possible be, just stay realistic about the "final" outcome...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic