What's New?

Quality of life

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Bit of a rant here so get out now while you have the chance.

I keep seeing this come up more and more as the generation before me is coming to the finish line. People having medical issues and just don not follow the doctors instruction. Simple things like, if they would watch their diet, they will not need the insulin, or something to get them off O2. Basic things like taking their meds or avoiding alcohol seem to be too much trouble for them. Oh and God forbid you ask them to do any PT after a serious medical problem. PT maybe the difference between spending the last 5 years of their life in a wheelchair or still being somewhat mobile.

What gives? Do old people just give up?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
This drives me bananas in my family especially....because i care about them.

My aunt is just a few yrs older than me, has been on all sorts of meds for blood pressure, etc. Sure she quit smoking, but has substituted for wine. Also, she don't cook ...... UGH, so she chooses foods unwisely, and if she just modified her diet slightly and give up some nights of wine and exercise, i bet her health would improve.
My other aunt is lazy AF, don't want to do anything, but will gripe about her ailments.

I could go on and on.

There is something to be said for some sort of mindset shift that we have made, whereas the other population has not. The only difference I can ascertain is that we have educated ourselves on the health aspects of this part of our lives and we have made a very conscience decision to make it better for ourselves.
Whereas another population has not.
Could it be generational? I don't think so.....i think it is just that some people do give up. Or that they retire and think they can do anything and eat everything and anything and not pay for it. LOL.

Yea, this subject urks me....

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
This is pretty common. My degrees are in nutrition/dietetics, along with food science, and my parents and family never ask(ed) me for help or advice. In fact, my mom despised the way I ate for many many years, it was pathetic. I'm not near as healthy eating as I should be, but still try to keep somewhat in line. Just got into an argument with my dad last night about his diabetes...excuses and denial. Yet, he'll go and read some quack and go on an extreme diet 20000 times harder than it needs to be. Best is to worry about yourself and kids, and only help when people ask for it. Much less stress that way.

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
It's a "I do what I want!" Society! People ignore sound medical advice thinking they are smarter or their Gods more powerful!
Inside your body, it is what it is....we need to get back to the basics. By this I mean, not just following Doctors instructions but researching what you MD has told you to better understand your situation. Iive long or live to middle age, its 100% your choice.
Ok...soapbox burned...sorry guys. :p

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
..... Yet, he'll go and read some quack and go on an extreme diet 20000 times harder than it needs to be. Best is to worry about yourself and kids, and only help when people ask for it. Much less stress that way.
My wife never asks for diet or workout tips/advise. She's like your Dad in respects to others giving her advise and she'll take it. Here's the new diet of the month her girlfriend has her on, "Don't eat past 7:00 PM. Where do I go with that?

But then again, to my wife I probably look like a smashed pile of dog poop.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
It's a "I do what I want!" Society! People ignore sound medical advice thinking they are smarter or their Gods more powerful!

One the "God will take care of me" note; he did. He gave some young person the ability to go to Med School, practice and learn for 20-30 years and provide you with the best advise available.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
This drives me bananas in my family especially....because i care about them.

I could go on and on.

Yea, this subject urks me....

Same here: My Mom, My Sister, 2 sisters in law, brother in law, and that's juts immediate family. Can't work, can't walk, blah blah.

Holy fuck these people just give up. I was crippled as a kid so I know what it's like to legit have a physical limitation. I would have done ANYTHING to not have leg braces or walk with crutches. I see a family member in a wheelchair because they're obese and refuse to take care of themselves and it makes me want to scream. I bet every person that is legit paralyzed loathes these people that eat themselves into wheelchairs, and I don't blame them.

I'm 52, Mrs Flex is 55. We're both in the gym busting our butts while everyone else our age is crying about how it sucks to get old and blah blah. I have to stop myself from saying shit that will have them hate me.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
I could write a book on this subject smh

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016

I keep seeing this come up more and more as the generation before me is coming to the finish line. People having medical issues and just don not follow the doctors instruction. Simple things like, if they would watch their diet, they will not need the insulin, or something to get them off O2. Basic things like taking their meds or avoiding alcohol seem to be too much trouble for them. Oh and God forbid you ask them to do any PT after a serious medical problem. PT maybe the difference between spending the last 5 years of their life in a wheelchair or still being somewhat mobile.

Don't have the same sense of well being, energy, and for me especially, the "newness" of life...Everything becomes a repeat...Our bodies ache in places they never did before...We loose loved ones, etc...Any other words, life doesn't take on the same meaning as did when we were younger...Again, there is nothing new anymore...Just a major repeat...Is that an excuse?...Don't comment until u reach that age...;)

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

Unfortunately other Snake, its not just old people, our younger generations are getting more and more unhealthy and each year we determine that sedentary life styles are the world's leading cause of death. It is also the #1 leading cause of death in the USA. People just don't seem to get it.

I actually teach a college level class addressing this issue and most eventually see a reason for being active and having a good diet so I feel education may be important at much younger ages. However, we don't teach this at any level in public schools and only force college age kids to take 1 - 1 hour class to graduate. It is just not important to most. Yet our medical cost continue to rise each year. We have become good at treating the symptoms but not good at all in prevention. Less money involved I guess.

I did a research study in my graduate work years back and actually determined that our attitudes about fitness are formed at at a very young age (2-3). It is often very hard to change as we grow older. I have seen an increase in both obesity and obesity related illnesses in elementary, middle school and high school age children in just two decades. Its not uncommon to see young kids with high blood pressure and type II diabetes. Pretty sad.

In order to have "quality of life" as we age, people have to be forced out of their comfort zone. Most are unwilling to do that.

Dave Draper age 77

639da-Draper[1].jpg

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I am 54 in just a few days and have been very seriously busted up, shot twice and blown up by a remote detonated IED, just came off a shoulder overhaul and a cervical fusion of 3 vertebrae Doc flat out told me a year ago at the beginning of the last 2 surgeries that if I wasn't so fit I would be fucked from here on out.
I just got a greenlight last week to get back to whatever I want to do just to go slowly at first.
Point for me is this way of life is an AWESOME fountain of youth that keeps you way ahead of the pack:cool:
Carry on

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic