Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

push/pull vs. body-part specific

ironhardempress

ironhardempress

TID Lady Member
Jan 15, 2016
I've been doing a Push/Pull program for a couple months now, mainly because my husband thinks it's easier on his joints (he trains with me and coaches me as well). I like it, but somehow i think that i would get better gains if i trained more traditionally--like a body-part specific program (arms and chest, shoulders and back, legs, repeat). What do y'all think? I do one glute-specific day because that is the area i need to work the most. i pretty much work out every day, but 2 days heavy, 2 days light, glute day, repeat.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
I do not like body part splits. I think there are much better ways to train. There's nothing wrong with some isolation work but the bulk of training should be heavy multi joint movements. Muscle protein synthesis is stimulated for about 24hrs post training. Why only make use of that once a week for each body part?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Don't tailor your training to your husbands needs. IMO sticking to more compound lifts will get you bigger and stronger and leaner faster.

ironhardempress

ironhardempress

TID Lady Member
Jan 15, 2016
thanks for the input. I want to tailor my workout to fit my needs/goals

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Your training should be based around your goals. Push, Pull, Legs is more of a strength based layout and a body part specific is more of a bodybuilding layout. You should ask yourself what it is you're trying to accomplish and then base your program off that.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
BrotherIron hit the nail on the head. We can't tell you which programming philosophies will best suit you without knowing your exact goals.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I've been doing a Push/Pull program for a couple months now, mainly because my husband thinks it's easier on his joints (he trains with me and coaches me as well). I like it, but somehow i think that i would get better gains if i trained more traditionally--like a body-part specific program (arms and chest, shoulders and back, legs, repeat). What do y'all think? I do one glute-specific day because that is the area i need to work the most. i pretty much work out every day, but 2 days heavy, 2 days light, glute day, repeat.

Depends on your goals. Body part training is pretty much dead unless, youre body building.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
I think its a good idea to do body part specific movements as you get older and have already sustained many injuries of the minor weakest muscles from over loading them with years of compound movements which always cause injuries of the weakest smallest muscles groups plus joints and tendons.
Its better to do lighter full motion range and controlled exercises rather than heavy compound movements as you did when you were strong and injury free, supple and flexible in your 20's.
imo

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
Don't tailor your training to your husbands needs. IMO sticking to more compound lifts will get you bigger and stronger and leaner faster.

Put on 30 pounds in 2 months after i switched to compounds!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic