Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

pulldowns for tris???

J

junior360

Jul 26, 2017
when l do pulldowns (wide,narrow,o/hand or u/hand) my Tri's burn like mad ! what am l doing wrong ? or does anyone else get this ?. I have tried dropping the weight a bit but still get alot of tri's (under the arm near the armpit).

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
triceps should not feel much if anything at all you must either not be doing pulldowns or are using some really crazy form while attempting them.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I am def not well versed enough on anatomy to be the local expert on this, but "lats" and/or some of those smaller muscles around the scapula are attached to the humerus so those muscles can move the arm when you do pulldowns, pullups, rowing, etc. They are attached by tendons, which are in the same area as your tri's. You may be feeling those tendons rather than tricep muscle tissue.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
There was an old pic of a pro that sustained a nasty tricep tear from pulldowns. It is the antagonist in the movement, so it does play a role, although not a major one.

When I focus on pulling with my elbows, I actually do feel some tension on my triceps, but it's not the same as when doing an actual tricep exercise.

There are some other potential issues. One is that it could be your triceps are really weak relatve do your bis and lats. Another is that your tricep in that area are really tight and need some rolling or massage.

S

starkcasey

Jul 27, 2017
try switching the bar to the one where your grip is pronated (its a bar with handles on both sides as opposed to just a long rod like most lat machines).. a good gym should carry it the change in angle might help

S

Shock

VIP Member
Nov 28, 2015
I've never had this exact thing happen, but in order to isolate my upper back, I ensure I get a good stretch before each rep and flex the target muscle group before I involve my arms at all. It's like a two-stage exercise: flex the back muscles and then the arms. Even go as far as concentrating on using your forearms and biceps instead of your triceps if you have to.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
The first inch or 2 of a pull down is where tris can dominate and get involved. I can think of 2 potential solutions for a quick fix if you use full range of motion and have dominate tris.
1 at the top of motion when arms are at or nearly at full extension. Instead of using your arms which is natural to begin downward momentum lean slightly back and pinch your back/shoulder blads togethere fro. There your bis should take over untill you back and lats fully engage.
2 use less of a full range. After your first rep only allow your arms to re-extend about 75%. So the tris never re-engage. You'll stay with bi and back engagement.

Play around with lighter weight. Take your time in the motion and feel exactly when, where and why your tris are engaging. Then make alterations to avoid it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic