Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Proteins, not sugar, increase energy expenditure

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
A study published in the November issue of the science journal Neuron subverts the commonly held belief that consuming sugar can make you feel more energetic. Researchers at the University of Cambridge reveal that protein is responsible for activating cells that keep us awake and help us burn more calories, not glucose.

According to the study results, our alertness and energy levels depend on a set of cells called "orexin cells", which secrete a substance that acts as a stimulant for the brain. When these cells stop functioning properly or become mutated, sleep disorders like narcolepsy, as well as weight gain, may settle in.

Learn more: Proteins, not sugar, increase energy expenditure

mountain monster

mountain monster

Dec 16, 2011
Very interesting article,thanks shine!

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
This falls inline with thermogenisis caused by protein and the accuracy of the cunningham equation for high level athletes.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It still doesn't explain why my daughter goes bouncing off the walls after cake...

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
energy expenditure at rest is a different issue what you speak of POB:

At least 12 double blind randomised controlled trials have examined how children react to diets containing different levels of sugar. None of these studies, not even studies looking specifically at children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, could detect any differences in behaviour between the children who had sugar and those who did not. This includes sugar from sweets, chocolate, and natural sources. Even in studies of those who were considered “sensitive” to sugar, children did not behave differently after eating sugar full or sugar-free diets.

Scientists have even studied how parents react to their kids on sugar. When parents are told their child has been given a drink containing sugar, but it is actually sugar-free, they rate the behaviour as more hyperactive than those not given the drink. In fact, the differences in behavior between the two groups were all in the parents’ minds.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010

At least 12 double blind randomised controlled trials have examined how children react to diets containing different levels of sugar. None of these studies, not even studies looking specifically at children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, could detect any differences in behaviour between the children who had sugar and those who did not. This includes sugar from sweets, chocolate, and natural sources. Even in studies of those who were considered “sensitive” to sugar, children did not behave differently after eating sugar full or sugar-free diets.

Scientists have even studied how parents react to their kids on sugar. When parents are told their child has been given a drink containing sugar, but it is actually sugar-free, they rate the behaviour as more hyperactive than those not given the drink. In fact, the differences in behavior between the two groups were all in the parents’ minds.

LOL! Nice, I can believe it too.

Wouldnt be surprised if the parents actually behaved differently enough to their children under those circumstances that they coax out the bad behaviors associated with sugar intake from their children, almost like a placebo effect by proxy.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

I've seen that before and I think it's accurate. If you asked my own mother she would say that sugar doesn't make kids crazy.she experimented with little POB when I was an ADD maniac kid. Made no difference

Fish77

Fish77

VIP Member
Dec 24, 2010
I am not sure I can believe that no matter how many studies you post up. The kids not reacting to sugar I mean.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic