Latest Member
Douglas S
What's New?

Protein Sparing modified Fast as done by Lyle McDonald

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Appreciate the reply. That summed it up nicely. Experimenting is how I found IF and IIFYM type dieting and it worked great. I had always been scared to death to try anything outside the box, but I am glad I did. Otherwise, how will you ever gain the experience or knowledge of what works for you and what doesnt?

I am a IIFYM guy as well. I first tired it when I returned to the gym just over two years ago. These pics are from and untrained state to fairly lean condition. This was just under 3 months and 100% nattie. (actually I was hypo-gonadal at the time and did not know it. The after effects of a bad head trauma in 09. Found out later I had the test levels of a 12 y.o. girl and went on HRT)

uppercomp-1.jpg

Here are a few pics of what I think tracking and hitting your macros can do for you. I became a BIG believer in running small surpluses for long periods and then doing about 2 months worth of cutting.

The pics below I was 100% natural (and hypo-gonadal AND hypo thyroid at the time).except for on the last pic, I had just started hrt about 3 months earlier.

comp22222.jpg

A I stated, I am no longer "natural" and I hope for some continued success and progress as time comes. I'm 40 though so I am slow and steady guy. Not looking (ever) for anything overnight. My interests are turning more towards powerlifting now. That is a good excuse not to get too big as my numbers make me very competitive in 198, but not nearly as well in 220.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
NIce progress! BTW, are you over on BBing.com? Stick to the o35 section?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
NIce progress! BTW, are you over on BBing.com? Stick to the o35 section?

Yep! Glad I was invited over here. Some good peps over there, but TONS of DB's.

I went 9.5 days but pulled the plug as I was feeling like I needed to. My strength tanked so bad. I am JUST NOW recovering my strength 2 full weeks later. I thought I really messed myself up some how. Last night, finally on a bench set I was able to get 9 out of 10 reps with 315 (which is right where I was prior to starting PSMF)

I am not sure I will be trying it again.

Too many negative side effects.
-TERRIBLE joint pain
-Weird heartburn almost every night
-hiccups that lasted for almost 4 days
-weakness which did not bounce back after carbs were reintroduced

I think it just took too much out of me. If I did it all over, and drop weight fast, I think I might do a more aggressive CKD diet. (Keeping more fats in and cals higher so it was not quite so aggressive, but so I could still lose weight faster then a traditional cut.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Good info.

I have actually found carb cycling to have the best results for me, both in how I feel and results. I hate keto because i lose motivation on it so quickly. THe carb cycling allows for me to get the higher fats for muscle preservation and the carbs on training days to stay feeling good and kill hunger.

Are you taking Hgh? I ask about aas simply because of how it can play a role on results. If you are taking Hgh and other aas with it, it can easily make a terrible diet look much better than it really is. You can use a starvation diet on Hgh/peps and make it look decent.

Last edited:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
My test is exogenous so I was thinking that would give me an advantage in this diet. (but I dont think it did). No HGH.

There is another guy a know (very good build....bigger then I) and he is also not a nattie. He is on day 6 and experiencing almost the exact symptoms I did. I forgot to add disruption in CNS activity. Terrible shaking under load even on fresh muscles. Almost like you had already done tons of sets and were exhausted.

As for carb cycling, I have almost 2 years worth of it under my belt. I can plan and track like a pro. I have a VERY good handle on how I respond to different macro ratios...etc. Played a lot with carb cycling in both surplus and deficit. I love it.

I dont have any experience cutting on aas (other then TRT level replacement) so I dont know how aggressive I can be on fat loss if I were running test higher. My normal deficit is 500-700 cal for a 1lb to 1.25 lb weight loss per week. Not sure what guys on full cycle can safely lose without losing too much muscle.

I just wanted to try something different with PSMF. Not sure it is worth it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I dont have any experience cutting on aas (other then TRT level replacement) so I dont know how aggressive I can be on fat loss if I were running test higher. My normal deficit is 500-700 cal for a 1lb to 1.25 lb weight loss per week. Not sure what guys on full cycle can safely lose without losing too much muscle.

I just wanted to try something different with PSMF. Not sure it is worth it.

You will want to cut on about the same deficit as you normally would. Aas simply speeds the process up a bit, and if you keep your deficit at a moderate range like when you're natty, you will actually put some muscle mass on too.

Hgh is very protein and muscle sparing. At moderate to high doses, you can get away quite a bit, but I wouldn't expect to gain much if going extreme. You're just going to preserve muscle without gains.

Well, it's always cool to see the results of a diet or training system. Glad you posted the experience up.

BTW, I am Kraken over on BBing.com

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Good luck Mac, interested to see how you go so will be following along.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic