What's New?

Protein Sparing modified Fast as done by Lyle McDonald

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
6 full days of cutting

Down 11lbs. (yes....that is not a typo)

Pics taken totally carb depleted, and cold (no pump).

2013-05-13165217_zps6bfae1e1.jpg

2013-05-13165456_zps766e1a5f.jpg

2013-05-13171513_zps50e77987.jpg

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Damn, that's some fast weight loss. Are you keeping track of measurements too?

It's my understanding, the two measurements that can be helpful are waist and arm, but arm must be relaxed and by your size. It's effected least this way when losing fat.

Quads look sick too!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Damn, that's some fast weight loss. Are you keeping track of measurements too?

It's my understanding, the two measurements that can be helpful are waist and arm, but arm must be relaxed and by your size. It's effected least this way when losing fat.

Quads look sick too!

Thanks man. No measurements. Just going to go by my strength before and after. (as a gauge of muscle loss). Degree of glycogen loading can swing measurements so much, but I think I know my body well enough and have been though enough traditional "bulk/cut" routines, that I know what to look for to determine success.

Down another lb. Weak as crap in the gym. Just doing my big compounds. Joints are hurting pretty bad all over.

Seems to be really working well. Of course I will need to carb back up to tell for sure, but I leaning out quite nicely. This is tough, but if it works this well, it is worth it!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Down another 3 lbs. (must have been a big water shift.)

Total is 15 lbs down now on end of day 9 (I am guessing just under half of that is fat). Lower abdominal veins are just becoming visible. (barely)

Thinking I am going to stop on Fri which will make 10 full days on diet. Cant wait for the carb up!

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
way to go! I am only on day 4, so still not letting myself think about the carb up yet LOL

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
way to go! I am only on day 4, so still not letting myself think about the carb up yet LOL

Cant wait to see how it treats you!

Here is an update:

OK....I ended a few days ago. I went 9.5 days. Total weight loss was 15lbs scale weight.

Still waiting for my water/carb balance to return to normal, but I think I will have lost about 7-9lbs.

I stopped early for two reasons. One, I was worried that I was becoming so weak and two, I wanted to see how I would respond in the gym with only a limited time to carb back up. (a situation I may see in competition when cutting weight and re-carbing after weigh-in)

Here is where I was after the 9.5 days of PSMF. My legs got to be very lean. The leg pics are un-flexed, just sitting. Skin has thinned nicely. The last pic is flexing legs in the gym. Obviously, my midsection is still my sticking point. Not terrible, but not even as close to the levels of leanness in my lower body.

2013-05-17065137_zps90a20c83.jpg

2013-05-17064906_zps718ea2e8.jpg

2013-05-17064631_zps3af3db08.jpg

2013-05-15165225-1_zpsbe1688f3.jpg

Observations: Strength TANKED. I think I lost 100lbs on my deads, and 50-75 on my bench. My strength still had not recovered even 36 hours after re-introducing LOTS of carbs. I tried to do deads on Friday and 495 singles felt heavy (Something I can normally rep 10+ times). I will see how strength recovers next week, but this was really rough on my body.

From a looks perspective, it worked really well. As a bodybuilder, I think I would be happy with the results. I was doing some posing on Friday and I had the best separation in my arm and legs looked downright freaky.

I figured out this will not be a good method to drop weight to hit a weight class in Powerlifting. It is just too taxing on the body. I have yet to see how long it will take to recover strength. I know that losing 9 lbs, (even if all 9 were muscle) would not cost me this much strength, so I know there is something else at play. I will monitor and update as next week goes on.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Update:

5 days back to eating "normal". Only gained a few lbs of water back. Weight loss still looking like it will end up being 8-10lbs. (will have to wait for final water balance to take place).

Strength was MUCH improved today. I did the same reps and sets as I did right before I started the diet. (minus one rep on my last 5/3/1 set). So strength has almost returned to normal, but I will have to monitor when I hit other body parts.

Conclusions......Very happy from an asthetic point of view. Definitely did what normally takes me 2 months of work, and did it in 9.5 days.
From a strength point,.....very very bad and recovery will take more then a week (as far as I can tell right now). Not something one could use to "make weight".

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Thanks for being a guinea pig.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for being a guinea pig.

Gee....thanks ;)

Little update:

Going on my 6th day of eating normal again. Something is still not right. Tonight was squat night. Man, was I weak. It is a fatigue where your muscles dont fire in a nice smooth motion. It almost felt like I had pre-fatigued my muscles prior to squatting. Needless to say, I stayed lighter and did not go heavy.

Wow....this diet really has taken it's toll. I am NOT back to normal, not even close. Has me a little freaked out.

Again, I look great, just strength and muscular endurance sucks.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
If you dont mind me asking, did you attempt this all naturally?

Would you say over all you are happy with this, or do you feel you lost too much muscle?

I had such good luck on my last method of dieting, that I would hate to stray from it. No muscle loss, but it was a very long diet.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
If you dont mind me asking, did you attempt this all naturally?

Would you say over all you are happy with this, or do you feel you lost too much muscle?

I had such good luck on my last method of dieting, that I would hate to stray from it. No muscle loss, but it was a very long diet.

I have not been "natural" for the last year. (HRT or otherwise ;) ) I dont think that I really lost significant muscle, I am just still feeling very fatigued and weak.

I have a good deal of conventional cutting experience (planning and tracking macros, 500 cal deficit...etc) and have had great luck doing it slow and steady in the past. I just wanted to experiment with this method and see how I responded. As I said, the fat loss was awesome, but I still dont feel "right"

I do deads again on friday and that should be a good sign of how my overall strength is recovering.

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I have not been "natural" for the last year. I dont think that I really lost a lot of muscle, I am just still feeling very fatigued and weak.

I have a good deal of conventional cutting experience (planning and tracking macros, 500 cal deficit...etc) and have had great luck doing it slow and steady in the past. I just wanted to experiment with this method and see how I responded. As I said, the fat loss was awesome, but I still dont feel "right"

Appreciate the reply. That summed it up nicely. Experimenting is how I found IF and IIFYM type dieting and it worked great. I had always been scared to death to try anything outside the box, but I am glad I did. Otherwise, how will you ever gain the experience or knowledge of what works for you and what doesnt?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic