Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Protein Bioavailability Chart

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I thought this chart was pretty cool, I haven't seen one in a while. I saw it in an article I was reading the other day, it's just a c&p from that article.

It can make us think about how much protein we are actually getting. I really don't pay much attention to the bottom half as there are no aminos. I was trying to explain it the other day to a younger fella so I just told him if you can't kill it, or drink it from a tit, you don't want it :eek: Of course, you can mix powder as well.

Protein Source ----------------------- Bio-Availability Index

Whey Protein Isolate Blends ---------- 100-159

Whey Concentrate ------------------- 104

Whole Egg --------------------------- 100

Cow's Milk ---------------------------- 91

Egg White ---------------------------- 88

Fish ---------------------------------- 83

Beef --------------------------------- 80

Chicken ------------------------------ 79

Casein ------------------------------- 77

Rice --------------------------------- 74

Soy ---------------------------------- 59

Wheat ------------------------------- 54

Beans -------------------------------- 49

Peanuts ------------------------------ 43

Last edited:
Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
O use pea and hemp...
this is a cool list, but Now I am curious where mine fall.

Reactions: HDH
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
How can something be greater than 100?

M

metsfan4life

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2014
iso all the way! Walmart Iso :)

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
How can something be greater than 100?
I've got it up on 5 other boards, I threw the question up on a few but I'll hit all.

Just as a guess, I would think it would be the way our bodies use/metabolize it but just a guess for now.

Thanks for asking, anyone know? :D

B

Black lambo

Sep 4, 2018
That's cool whole egg has index 100. Almost like whey but it's not supp it's just food. Nice

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
The egg is the bench mark for bioavailability. Hence the 100 rating. So refined proteins like whey can be above 100% because the figure is comparing every other specimen to egg. Its like the Anabolic/Androgenic ratios we all love. Test is 100:100 and every derivative is measured against it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The egg is the bench mark for bioavailability. Hence the 100 rating. So refined proteins like whey can be above 100% because the figure is comparing every other specimen to egg. Its like the Anabolic/Androgenic ratios we all love. Test is 100:100 and every derivative is measured against it.

Thanks.

SpaceOddity

SpaceOddity

Aug 29, 2018
Thit information is really new for me. Thanks a lot

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for the post man, makes good sense.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
That's cool whole egg has index 100. Almost like whey but it's not supp it's just food. Nice

Whey is food not a "supplement". It is just another means of meeting nitrogen requirements. It has the advantage of not coming along with other fats and carbs which can be helpful if you are controlling calories tightly.

Try getting 220 grams of protein daily from eggs! Along with that you will get 157g of fat (or an extra 1400 cals). This is why eggs suck as a protein source if you are looking to be lean. Oh...but what about the guys who say just eat the whites?....Well of the 7g of pro in an egg, 3-4 of those are in the yolk, so your egg while is 3-4g or pro. So eat 9 eggwhites and that is a scoop of whey. Not really practical. Sure....good food, but impractical as a primary protein source. (unless you are just wanting to be 'big' and being lean is not a goal)

I love when people say....."just eat food". Half these people have not seen an abdominal vein in their lives and will never. When you are attempting to be lean, it get VERY hard to get your protein requirements in while keeping fat in check. While I could eat 3 lbs of chicken breasts a day, that is not anything I feel like doing. I instead rely heavily on whey and get aprox 1/3 of my intake daily from it. (along with 1lb of some lean meat, and the rest dairy). When I am restricting more, I will even rely more heavily on whey to hit my protein levels while keeping overall cals low.

Last edited:
HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
Whey is food not a "supplement". It is just another means of meeting nitrogen requirements. It has the advantage of not coming along with other fats and carbs which can be helpful if you are controlling calories tightly.

Try getting 220 grams of protein daily from eggs! Along with that you will get 157g of fat (or an extra 1400 cals). This is why eggs suck as a protein source if you are looking to be lean. Oh...but what about the guys who say just eat the whites?....Well of the 7g of pro in an egg, 3-4 of those are in the yolk, so your egg while is 3-4g or pro. So eat 9 eggwhites and that is a scoop of whey. Not really practical. Sure....good food, but impractical as a primary protein source. (unless you are just wanting to be 'big' and being lean is not a goal)

I love when people say....."just eat food". Half these people have not seen an abdominal vein in their lives and will never. When you are attempting to be lean, it get VERY hard to get your protein requirements in while keeping fat in check. While I could eat 3 lbs of chicken breasts a day, that is not anything I feel like doing. I instead rely heavily on whey and get aprox 1/3 of my intake daily from it. (along with 1lb of some lean meat, and the rest dairy). When I am restricting more, I will even rely more heavily on whey to hit my protein levels while keeping overall cals low.
Great post!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic