Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Proper Grip for Cleans?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I like doing hang cleans on shoulder day... I'm trying to do them more instead of behind the neck presses as that movement is risky...

But I find it hard to keep a proper grip on the bar as its an explosive movement. Anyone know if there is a different way to grip the bar? I don't know shit about Oly lifting... Only one on here that I know of that does/did is BrotherIron.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
I find the clean and jerk completely useless unless your doing some sort of strength competition.

Very injury prone exercise. Use to do them in high school before we would go to weightlifting meets.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I've been kinda enjoying them though... Still do my behind the neck presses though lol... The hang clean takes out a lot of the motions from the clean and jerk though. The bar is held at the knees and thats where the movement starts and its not pushed above the head. So hold bar at the knees, explode up and "hang" at shoulder level... thats it. Gotta keep focused on form for sure though.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
I've been kinda enjoying them though... Still do my behind the neck presses though lol... The hang clean takes out a lot of the motions from the clean and jerk though. The bar is held at the knees and thats where the movement starts and its not pushed above the head. So hold bar at the knees, explode up and "hang" at shoulder level... thats it. Gotta keep focused on form for sure though.

yeah my friend in HS screwed his back up for life doing these things. not worth it IMO

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I dont do hang cleans but I do powercleans. How are you gripping the bar POB? I will say I dont "catch" it properly at the top .My wrists dont bend like that .I think cleans can build a big back .But again I do them for strength and they are powercleans.Mine always go overhead too .I dont jerk.i have never really learned how to do it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I dont do hang cleans but I do powercleans. How are you gripping the bar POB? I will say I dont "catch" it properly at the top .My wrists dont bend like that .I think cleans can build a big back .But again I do them for strength and they are powercleans.Mine always go overhead too .I dont jerk.i have never really learned how to do it.

I grab the bar kinda wide and in no special way. Just wrap my fingers one way and thumbs another. What's a hook grip? Heard someone mention that before.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I guess I'll try that then... Doesn't look comfy lol. Thanks for the help RR...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic