Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Propane vs natural gas

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I am looking at a home with propane as it heating fuel source. I'll also change out the electric range and oven for gas. Anyone know first hand, how much more it costs running propane vs natural gas?

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
Butanes a bastards gas.
I was on propane at my old place and it ran about 1500 a year for a 2600 sq foot home. My new house is just under 1200 and my natural gas bill has averaged about 35 a month

Reactions: CFM
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
All the new homes around my area are propane, gas lines don't run into all of the neighborhoods. Propane is more expensive but has more energy and burns hotter than natural gas.

Compare to the cost of propane and natural gas, and a uniform unit is needed. However, BTU or British thermal unit is a convenient unit to measure the amount of energy both of the gases possess. According to the British Thermal Unit, one cubic foot of propane gas equals 2516 BTUs, and one cubic foot of natural gas equals 1030 BTUs. That means, a 100000 BTU natural gas furnace can burn 97 cubic feet of natural gas in 1 hour. Again, a propane furnace can heat 40 cubic feet of propane gas per hour.

Therefore, propane supplies more than twice the energy of natural gas, which indicates the higher efficiency of the propane furnace as a source of heat. The energy content of LPG or propane gas is higher than natural gas. Out of per cubic meter of propane gas, 93.2 MJ of energy is produced. Natural gas produces 38.7 MJ of energy per cubic meter.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
Butanes a bastards gas.
I was on propane at my old place and it ran about 1500 a year for a 2600 sq foot home. My new house is just under 1200 and my natural gas bill has averaged about 35 a month

Dang! 420 a year for NG vs 1500 LP. I understand your new house is 1/2 the footage, but dang!

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
All the new homes around my area are propane, gas lines don't run into all of the neighborhoods. Propane is more expensive but has more energy and burns hotter than natural gas.

I've read up and studied all the math. Seeking real life comparisons.............

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
I'm in Oklahoma not sure if that makes a difference but I will say I just have a wall heater I havent gone to central heat and air yet. I bought a smaller way older house with a large amount of land.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I am in Michigan going from 1600 sq ft to 1600 sq ft. The 'new' house was built in 2001 with 2x6 exterior walls (excellent insulation was used in walls and attic). The 'new' house also has a pellet stove, which could knock down the winter cost a little.

Congrats on the land Dan! I cannot wait to look out my windows and see woods instead of my neighbor's houses.

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
I love it happy for you too. I think that pellet stove would make a huge difference id go with propane and get a generator for back up power. Thats in my plans.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic