Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Progress from the outback

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks Bull, truth me told I'm still bloody catching up on your log its so long haha, maybe I shouldn't have started on page 1

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Day 5 - Day 10

No big changes yet.

On Day 6 I over committed myself to far too much walking, a good few hours worth and by the end of things I was paying for it and severely paying for it the next day. My foot surprisingly wasn't too sore but it was extremely swollen and my other leg/glutes/lower back were really sore from being distorted (I'm kind of limp walking at the moment due to height imbalances in cam boot and shoes so it puts the rest of my body out). At the end of day 9 I had been walking in the cam boot without a sock, I noticed some redness on the back of my leg which looked like friction of some sort irritating the skin and more concerningly at the upper end of the scar it was red, presumably also from friction but I will keep a close eye on it. My thoughts are that as swelling is going down the metal is closer to the surface of the skin and in these places I'm more likely to end up with red marks and whatnot.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks Bull, truth me told I'm still bloody catching up on your log its so long haha, maybe I shouldn't have started on page 1

Come to the last 2 pages... We are changing things up!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Just be careful and patient with yourself hoodlum.

I want you to be ok!

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah mate slow is the name of the game, I didn't rush back to training because the increased blood flow I would have been getting would have been bad for healing. I'm going to attempt a return to training on Monday although it will be mostly rehab work as in stretching and flopping around on the floor on a mat for an hour, going to include some light machine work and light bench press just to get the muscles working again, absolutely nothing heavy yet. Going to closely watch the swelling in my foot when doing this, if resistance training causes swelling then I'll stop it immediately and wait longer before returning. I'm a string bean now as thick as a piece of paper but for now healing is the main priority, this time off is just fueling the fire for when I return to the gym in full swing I'll bypass where I was for sure!

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Day 11 -
Once again no changes, swelling is staying down and redness had spread. It's localised to where the scar is I'm thinking it could just be fresh skin or some part of the healing process, its not sore.

Day 12 -
Had an appointment with the surgeon, time to get an idea on healing and we had a very interesting development. He moved my foot around and said it was going according to plan, I asked him
how I should be recovering from here and he said another 5 weeks in my cam boot, taking it off to do basic exercises only and then after that we would start doing seated strengthening exercises for 2 weeks and then other strengthening exercises for the next 4 weeks and then he will release me back to work. That's 9 weeks from now before he thinks I'm good enough to be back on my feet and warned there would still be quiet some recovery to go. Considering I'm flying out to go snowboarding in 8 weeks this isn't nearly good enough, pretty bad news. However I did speak to him about advancing healing with peptides, he warned it was highly experimental and at very very early stage of research, I noted to him I had read some journal articles and was basing my knowledge off studies. He was somewhat interested and offered to read over the studies if I emailed him the names, etc so it looks like I have an email to write. I sincearly doubt he will come back saying 'go ahead full steam ahead' but if he doesn't have too much negative to say or at best says 'it could work' then I will consider that a win.

After that I wanted to book in to see my physio, he takes care of a lot of sports people and is pretty good so I wanted his opinion. I called up and they had a cancellation so I slipped straight in the same day. Going from the doctors bad news the physio was a very refreshing change, he told me professional football players were back on the field in about 3 months from this injury so I definitely have room to push this all forward. He started massaging my foot and breaking up the scar tissue, I don't want to use the word pain but it was somewhat uncomfortable and tender. I was worried we were pushing things way too fast and that it was going to be hurting later or the next day. I thought I wouldn't stop him though I would just monitor it and if it hurt then I would know we pushed it too far. To my surprise, there was no pain. None at all that night or the next day, I'm definitely further along my recovery than I thought and much further than the surgeon wants. I spoke to the physio about peptides, he didn't have too much to say except "they definitely work" so I don't know what his level of expertise is with them, I don't think too much but it was a good to hear. Now I've got some better physio exercises to do and I'm going to be doing them daily, also going to recruit my partner to be massaging my foot and breaking up the scar tissue along with once per week physio sessions.

In between these two I got my ass out to the snow shop and finished off picking up my snow gear, I'll post pictures up later. I managed to squeeze my foot in to the snow boots to check sizing and I managed but it hurt. The foot is still slightly swollen and the boot doesn't open enough to get it in and out comfortably but having it on wasn't a problem, I'm confident in my boot choice which is going to be ultra-important to pull this snowboarding goal off.

Day 13 -
Surprised at no pain from the physio yesterday, backing up that my foot is ready for physio work.

Road to Snowboarding 2015 is well underway!

Day 14 -
Not much to note, didn't do too much walking and just did standard exercises from the physio. Swelling as usual.

Day 15 -
Starting to get pissed at having to pin two things daily, the clexane is almost finished so that will be good. Sitting at a desk all day today so really going to push these physio exercises.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This is sounding pretty good hoodlum!

I'm really hoping and praying this works out for you brother!!

Thanks for all the work here to keep us up to date.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Day 16 -

No longer going to be having the clexane so that is a good thing, sick of pinning already but I must admit ED Sub-Q is easier than ED IM injections.
Been doing physio exercises almost constantly, no pain from it which is a great sign. Need to really attack this recovery and so far all positive signs.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
You are doing great with this recovery!

I'm praying for snowboarding!!!

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Thanks bull, my confidence in it changes from hour to hour but going to keep pushing for the goal.

Day 16 -

This may not have been a wise idea but I decided to see if I could walk on my foot without the cam boot. Good news is that it was successful and I managed myself a couple of midnight trips to the bathroom without any lasting pain. I have to note though that it was still walking with a limp and putting the majority of my weight through my heel and not the rest of my foot. Still very good news though. This was day 16 of peptide/aggressive recovery but 8 weeks post-surgery. It's a very good indicator of how far my foot has to go, there is still no hope I can walk without support (shoes/boot) but if I can get myself back in to a shoe in 2-3 weeks then I think I'm definitely on the right path. My recovery is definitely going quicker than what we expected. As for swelling, there is very little variation in swelling. There used to be more swelling if I was in the boot all day and if I didn't have it elevated however now there is no change, it is still slightly swollen but I expect that to take a few months to go away. As for scarring, the scar has all come off now and there is fresh skin, the scar isn't as prominent as I thought it was going to be (not that it is a concern). There is no more unusual pink/redness that occurred for a few days.

It's a bit too early to say this but I'm slowly leaning towards the idea that peptides are working. That's a big statement coming from me, someone who was anti-peptides for the last 5 years.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Ok, here I am - first session back in the gym! Not overloading myself at all, just going through all the exercises really light and F&)K being sedentary really tightens up your muscles. I don't know how some people live like this

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic