Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Programming On A Calorie Deficit

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Im still trying to lean down somemore and am in between programs right now. My strength is terrible and I’ve been trying to think how to build some while dieting.

Any suggestions?

This is my proposed plan. I can only make it to the gym 3 days a week right now:

Friday - Bench Program POB gave me a while back. Back/pull stuff, biceps

Saturday - Over head press. Not sure of program for this. Maybe alternating reps each week? 10,8,5,3? Traps and triceps

Sunday - Leg day

OR do OHP on same day as bench so it would be like this:

Friday - bench, ohp, incline or another assistance, flies, triceps

Saturday- back and biceps and traps

Sunday - leg day

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Well you know to stick to compound stuff for economy. Only thing I will add here is that while in a deficit your training intensity should stay high. Just don't expect to hit the same volume as you would in a surplus. So be patient.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Yea I do this often. Are you using any gear or clen or anything like that?
Whats your goal body building, strength?

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Well you know to stick to compound stuff for economy. Only thing I will add here is that while in a deficit your training intensity should stay high. Just don't expect to hit the same volume as you would in a surplus. So be patient.

I was reading that. I have lowered the intensity and volume. I will change that this week. When I started in the deficit I was doing more, but as I continued on it I was concerned I was going to over train. But I don't think that's true. I'll implement the changes tomorrow.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Yea I do this often. Are you using any gear or clen or anything like that?
Whats your goal body building, strength?

Only thing I'm on is TRT at 100mg a week. My goal right now is to lose bodyfat and keep as much muscle and strength as I can. But soon I want to start bulking and return to training for strength and size.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
So this is what I decided to do for now. I'm going to do alternating rep ranges each week with three working sets on bench press, incline press and over head press. For the weights each week I'm going to try and pick a number I can complete the three sets with. It should look like this:

What do you guys think? Does this look good for strength and size?

Week 1 - 3 sets x 10 reps

Week 2 - 3 sets x 8 reps

Week 3 - 3 sets x 5 reps

Week 4 - 3 sets x 3 reps

Week 5 repeat week 1

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I think if your on TRT at a mild caloric deficit you can keep almost all muscle and maybe even gain some strength if you program correctly. I would stay in the 5-3 rep range the whole time. Keep your bigger lifts at 85-90% of max. 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps depending on how strong you feel that day. High volume will not do much for muscle tissue retention, thats a fallacy. What it does is increase hypertrophy giving the illusion of retained mass. Heavy weight is far better to keep you body from burning muscle.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic