Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Program vs. Instinctive Training

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
How many of you follow a program vs. instinctive training? By the latter I don't mean that you don't follow a regular split but that you listen to your body and MMC during the workout and make adjustments during the workout re exercise choice, sets, reps, etc.

I fall into the instinctive training category. I've tried a few programs over the past few years, usually no longer than 8 weeks. I have incorporated the best features of various programs into my normal routine.

What do you see as the benefits of the training style you follow?

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Re: Program vs. Instinctive

I think you need to follow an organized routine. There are several good reasons why. 1. Your CNS take several bouts to adapt to a particular movement (say 3 or 4 workouts) before you real overload the muscle 2. If you wait for your body to tell you it's ok to train again than you have lost time (research dual factor theory or Mark Rippetoe "Practical Programming) 3. It is the best way to gauge progress. We don't set up our cycles or diet like this so why our training...?

With that said I know you can make progress instinctively no doubt, but the only athletes who do this are bbers. And this is not directed at you but the only bbers around me who do this are vets who are burnt out from training hard for too long (and stalled yrs. ago) and a few noobs.

Be blessed,
Hawk

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011

im a bad routine follower. i dont have the attention span to follow any type of routine. plus in smallville gym there isnt the equipment available often times to do it. heck, who am i kidding, i wouldnt do it even if there was :D laziness at its max :D:D

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010

I have had the best results with instinctive training.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011

Organized routine is a little different than my use of the term "program." I follow a regular split and it generally remains constant. But I maintain the flexibility to try a new exercise, increase or decrease sets, etc. I think what you're describing CH is more in the middle of the two styles I described, which is probably closer to my personal definition of instinctive.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010

On cycle I go into each workout having no idea what I will be able to lift for each set that day. ON tren, that's even harder to guess. So that's the biggest adjustment I have to make for sure. The only other adjustment I'll make is if something is hurting (not soreness) but something doesn't feel right or a bone, nerve, or tendon seems to be stressed to the max. I follow a program, but swtich programs frequently.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010

Organized routine is a little different than my use of the term "program." I follow a regular split and it generally remains constant. But I maintain the flexibility to try a new exercise, increase or decrease sets, etc.

That's exactly what I mean.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010

I'm kind of in the same boat as AlltheWay, I have no idea what equipment will be available or how crowded it'll be with shit-faced faggot teens when I walk into the gym so I make do. I'll do a couple exercises religiously but not always in the same order and use multiple techniques in a workout.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010

I have lifts I do and follow in a log, but add other movements in later in the routine, which I guess is instinctive.

I like measuring against my log though. Shit makes me happy, immediately. Love it.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010

I fall into the instinctive category with out a doubt. they way i look at it is that nothing is black in white in the life style. all grey. thats with diet, weights, cardio etc. everything is subjective.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

You've been following my log and I think you can tell that my training is instinctive... I've done 5x5, Positions of Flexion and German Volume Training and made some strength gains. But I like my split routine and I like the flexibility of it.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010

Organized routine is a little different than my use of the term "program." I follow a regular split and it generally remains constant. But I maintain the flexibility to try a new exercise, increase or decrease sets, etc. I think what you're describing CH is more in the middle of the two styles I described, which is probably closer to my personal definition of instinctive.

On cycle I go into each workout having no idea what I will be able to lift for each set that day. ON tren, that's even harder to guess. So that's the biggest adjustment I have to make for sure. The only other adjustment I'll make is if something is hurting (not soreness) but something doesn't feel right or a bone, nerve, or tendon seems to be stressed to the max. I follow a program, but swtich programs frequently.

I have lifts I do and follow in a log, but add other movements in later in the routine, which I guess is instinctive.

I like measuring against my log though. Shit makes me happy, immediately. Love it.

To me what you describe is "Flexability" vs. random Chaos...Could you imagine a PLer thinking hmmm maybe flyes and crossovers or Olympic sprinter going maybe I will shot put today., thinking...maybe

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic