Pro Biotic, Do You Take Them ?

Discussion in 'Diet Pills & Supplements' started by Turbolag, May 6, 2014.

1. Turbolag

Turbolag TID's Official Donut Tester

Oct 14, 2012
    So I was watching tv about a month or so back and saw a commercial for pro biotics. The commercial said 70% of your immune system is in your stomach?

So I went to the nutrition store and found one.

Does anyone else take them ?

So far starting out I've noticed some stomach pain but I read in a magazine that's normal because its getting rid of all the bad bacteria in your stomach.

How true is all of that ?

PS.... If you are wondering, I do get cable in the basement. I spliced into Lizard Kings satellite dish...... :D

2. FLEXjs

FLEXjs TID Board Of Directors

Apr 23, 2012
    No and I don't see any reason to. Seems kinda weird to me.

I don't worry about my immune system. It seems to work just fine.

I have missed exactly 2 days of work due to illness in the last 13+ years.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. monsoon

monsoon Senior Bacon VIP

Nov 1, 2010
    I just eat yogurt and drink kombucha.

4. GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer TID Board Of Directors

Jan 27, 2013
    If yogurt is not in my diet, then I take a probiotic. I never heard of a probiotic causing pain. (Probiotics add bacteria not take it away.)<--- not sure this is true

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. Mijeyzway

Mijeyzway Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Yes, daily. They are recommended by all the top trainers of pros that I know.

6. Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ The Veganator

Dec 23, 2012
    If you eat lots of veges, fruit, raw and unprocessed foods, fermented and sprouted foods and eat an alkaline-based diet then you don't need them.

But most people do not eat this way, so they can be useful in terms of recolonisation and benefiting gut microbiota. Yoghurt is generally a poor choice due to their low CFU and high sugar content, go for a good quality multi-strain capsule that has a high CFU. Nature's Way 'Optima' is one of the best ones I have came across.

Dsullivan0813 and kyle grey like this.
  7. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    I get my pro-biotics from my lebneh that I eat 3 or more times a week.

8. Turbolag

Turbolag TID's Official Donut Tester

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks Mini.

Im out of thanks for the day.

I'll look at mine and see what it is. I bought the weaker one because I'm so sensitive to pills.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ likes this.
  9. Rein

Rein VIP Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Yes, probiotics with my breakfast and yogurt before bed-time.

10. dr jim

dr jim MuscleHead

Apr 7, 2014
    ==========================================================================

Be careful what you read, you just may believe it!

While it's true the entire GI tract contributes to the immunity we all develop over time, misinformation abounds in the supplement sales arena. Why? Money of course!

Ironically even though the enterobacteriaceae AKA the enterobacteria or "gut bacteria" if you like, which include E-Coli, Enterobacter, and Klebsiella are considered symbiots of the GI tract, (as are the Lactobacilli in yogurt) has this chronic GI "exposure" morphed into enhanced systemic immunity? Not based on existing infectious disease data.

Fact is E-coli was and still is the leading cause of UTI's in humans and VANCOMYCIN resistant enterococci has become a significant cause of drug resistant post operative abdominal infections. (I'll stop the endless examples there)

So although the GI tract may "prep" the immune system thru bacterial exposure, for a commercial to suggest the "Stomach contains 70% of the immune system" is obviously biased and no doubt intended to improve sales.

But perhaps the blood itself, lungs, bone marrow, spleen, liver and the entire lymphatic system are no longer considered major players in immunity! We all know better.

So what about this yogurt thing? I kinda liken it to marijuana, some like it some don't, but don't count on either saving any lives :)

Regs
    jim

11. AdvoByrne

AdvoByrne New Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I heard that some pro-biotic supplements are the equivalent to like 7 yogurts.

12. texas boy

texas boy Senior Member

May 28, 2014
    Helps me stay cleaned out.